Is there pantheist in the crowd

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 10:34 am
As an apodictical existential pantheist never in my 81 years so far as I know having encountered another, I was astounded recently to learn that my grownup No. 2 Son so qualifies; that is independent of my intervention and without even having revealed my own predeliction

Anyhow do we even have a single one and if so we'd like to hear from you, how you structure it and happy to elaborate on our own if desired. Specific q's invited
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,207 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I have no idea what 'apodictical' means. Other than that, I consider myself pretty much a pantheist, existentially oriented to boot.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I have no idea what 'apodictical' means.
Originally I appended the term because it sounded impressive. It means, well, obvious or apparent. It proved a good choice however if you agree that pantheism represents the only approach not fraught with contradiction and paradox

Quote:
Other than that, I consider myself pretty much a pantheist, existentially oriented to boot.
Happy to welcome you into the clique Andy. Now there are three of us
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:26 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm sure there are more than three. But not everyone is ready to declare themselves openly.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I'm sure there are more than three.
I'm not so sure. Have you Andy ever encountered one

Quote:
But not everyone is ready to declare themselves openly.
In fear of being attacked mercilessly
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:32 pm
i knew a pan flutist once
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:38 pm
@djjd62,
I'm fond of pan-fried trout myself.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:50 pm
We've had a couple of pantyists join the forum lately.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 10:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I have no idea what 'apodictical' means.

Then you explained:

Quote:
Originally I appended the term because it sounded impressive. It means, well, obvious or apparent. It proved a good choice however if you agree that pantheism represents the only approach not fraught with contradiction and paradox

Given apodictic means incontestable and necessarily true, it should come as no surprise apodictic, anything, pantheists are thin on the ground.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:11 am
@laughoutlood,
Thank you Lood, it's not everyday I learn a new expression

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=meaning+of+thin+on+the+ground&oq=meaning+of+thin+on+the+ground&gs_l=hp.12..0i30.4546.10752.0.13608.29.13.0.16.16.0.312.1700.2j10j0j1.13.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.fznnt6S3ppE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4ac1328addbff75b&bpcl=35466521&biw=1432&bih=945

Thin indeed: Two so far, out of 100,000 participants

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 11:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Thank you Lood, it's not everyday I learn

The pleasure is all yours, it's a bit rich to imagine pantheism is incontrovertibly true ( predilection?) or as flash as a rat with a gold tooth.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:31 am
@laughoutlood,
Thanks Lood, again, it's not everydday…….

Presume you're Aussie

http://andc.anu.edu.au/australian-words/meanings-origins?field_alphabet_value=111
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
But not everyone is ready to declare themselves openly.
In this regard Andy, I suppose different pantheists have slightly different notions so I'm interested to learn yours

Maybe we can stir up more interest
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:44 pm
@dalehileman,
Sure, dale. Interesting that some of the comments on this thread have already demonstrated that the respondents don't actually grasp the concept. 'Pantheism' may sound like it's a belief in all the gods ever created by the human mind (and, in a way,that's accurate, too). But what it means for me is a recognition that there is a force -- a "spirit" if you will -- in every living and non-living thing and that it is perfectly legitimate to ascribe a "personhood" to the forces which animate everything. For me, at least, this is intended as no more than allegory and metaphor, but it is a quite useful means of describing that which is indescribable, of explaining the inexplicable.

Not far from where I live on the "Big Island" of Hawaii, is the dwelling of Pele, goddess of the volcanoes. She dwells in the Halemau'mau crater and makes her presence known from time to time through magnificent displays of spurting and flowing lava. Sometimes she will even shake the very ground we walk on just to remind us of her presence. Do I believe in the existence of this Pele as a real person? Well, of course not, and I seriously doubt that anyone ever did. But it's a much more poetic and beautiful way of expressing a fact of nature than by taking apart component parts and analyzing them in geological terms. It can be done either way; I prefer the mythic.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
may the great spirit walk with you, andy...

I never considered calling it pantheism, but I can see how you got there.

the indians had a pretty solid grasp of it...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:56 pm
@Rockhead,
As my dine (Navajo) friends say, "May you walk in beauty, Rock."
dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:56 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Sure, dale……. that the respondents don't actually grasp the concept.
Thanks Andy for the report and I gathered as much also. However it's a rare commodity

Quote:
…..But what it means for me is a recognition that there is a force -- a "spirit" if you will -- …... and that it is perfectly legitimate to ascribe a "personhood" to the forces which animate everything…...a quite useful means of …...explaining the inexplicable.
I agree. My way of putting it, is that it's an abstract concept but nonetheless real. Costco for instance is considered by most as very concrete and indeed it's nearer that end of the spectrum, with Her near the other, the abstract end. Nonetheless both possess a degree of reality

Quote:
…. the volcanoes…...a much more poetic and beautiful way of expressing a fact of nature…..I prefer the mythic.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," an evolutionary phenom not widely so recognized, many human qualities arising therefrom

The caveman who agreed with the girls to its beauty was able to better strew his seed whereas the fella over there behind the rock, thinking only about how it got there, was shunned or at least not invited to dance

Andy, now how about creation
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:59 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
"May you walk in beauty, Rock."
Coincidentally we find a rock at the nearest extreme of the concrete-abstract spectrum
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:06 am
We live in succession, in division, in parts, in particles. Meantime
within man is the soul of the whole; the wise silence; the universal
beauty, to which every part and particle is equally related, the
eternal ONE. And this deep power in which we exist and whose beatitude
is all accessible to us, is not only self-sufficing and perfect in
every hour, but the act of seeing and the thing seen, the seer and the
spectacle, the subject and the object, are one. We see the world piece
by piece, as the sun, the moon, the animal, the tree; but the whole,
of which these are shining parts, is the soul.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Over-soul"
Essays: First Series, 1841
dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:08 am
@George,
Geo can I now assume there are 3 of us

(Four if you include my No. 2 Son)