Homer Simpson's head injuries

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:37 am
The midwest? I dunno, where do you live, emclean?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:40 am
Bill de Berg wrote:
I regret the day when Homer stopped being a bufoon, though occasionally had excellent philosophical ideas. Now he's just dumbed down? Why? Were his insights too much for the general viewer? Were they considered provocative?

Whilst being a good,semi-entertaining, example of brain mush, The Simpsons now has little to offer other than a world wide perception of American morals, and hence their life style.

Do you Yanks not worry that this is how we see you? What, between news reports and visiting (no more due to immigration policies), I feel it it does slightly misrepresent the average american.

First i would note that "Yank" is an offensive term to many Americans--but i suppose one can expect that from the Limey, the Canuck, etc. Try to keep in mind that first, the majority population of this site is American, and, second, that apart from that fact, this is a very cosmopolitan site. It would do to give a bit of thought before carelessly tossing terms around. My next thought is whether or not one is to consider Benny Hill exemplary of life in England, or The Red Green Show to be an accurate portrayal of Canadian life. Finally, i will simply second Emclean's remark, and note that in more than 50 years, i have yet to meet the average american. Anybody got an e-mail for this joker?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:02 am
Everything I learned about life in England I learned from Monty Python's Flying Circus. For years, I was afraid to cross the pond to jolly old London, for fear of being crushed by a gigantic cartoon foot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:12 am
Cav, are all of your culinary machines cobbled together with duct tape?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:14 am
Umm, just a few....<paranoid glance> why do you ask? <Shh....shut up, beaver, I'm on the 'net>
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
Life in England is very much like "The Office", which is shown on BBC America, I understand.

The Ministry of Silly Walks was closed under Maggie Thatcher and Benny Hill is no where near PC enough for the new Cool Britannia.

KP
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:57 am
True 'Mericans don't watch no Beeb . . . i don't watch the teevees much at all. I would say that if the rest of the world wants to consider The Simpsons as exemplary of life in America, they are welcome to do so. The desire of immigrants to get into the country does not seem to have abated. What about Keeping Up Appearances, which is routinely broadcast by PBS? Is that to be taken for a true-to-life picture of Merry Old?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
Keeping up Appearances isn't far off the activities of certain "Middle Englanders". Class is not the issue that it once was, but Hyacinth Bucket ("pronounced Bouquet") is a charicature not too far from real life!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:39 am
Rather a scarey thought, ain't it Boss? In fact, a good deal of the popularity of The Simpsons in the U.S. stems from the fact that the characters are archetypes with which we are all familiar.
0 Replies