Blood Shortage Redux: should gay men still be banned from donating blood?

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 01:20 pm
HIV testing has improved tremendously (at least as I understand it). Should gay men lie about their lifestyle/sexual orientation in order to donate blood when (and that means AlWAYS and INDEFINITELY) hospitals and the entire medical system is having a shortage of needed donated blood, plasma, platelets, etc...?

Recent context:
Quote:
The federal government has one study in a planning stage and three studies under way that could eventually provide evidence to end the ban on blood donations from all gay men, a federal official said Wednesday.

The key question is, “Can blood safety be maintained or improved under a revised blood-donation screening criteria that would permit donations by lower-risk MSM [men who have sex with men] donors?” Health and Human Services official James Berger told a meeting of the Blood Products Advisory Committee of the Food and Drug Administration.

HHS “is committed to continuous improvement in the safety of the nation’s blood supply,” said Mr. Berger, the acting director of the HHS Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/16/study-could-end-ban-on-gay-men-donating-blood/?page=all

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/health/gay-men-blood-ban/index.html

JPB

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 01:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Should gay men lie about their lifestyle/sexual orientation in order to donate blood

No. Especially if they are test-seeking. It happens and no test is perfect. Lying about one's health history in order to donate is not the answer. You're right, though. HIV testing has improved tremendously from the first generation HIV-1 antibody tests released in 1985. They now use a third generation HIV-1/2 antibody assay and a NAT test for viral RNA. There's still a window period, however, and gay men are still considered high risk for HIV.

That said, I agree that it would be good if a screening mechanism could be found to re-enter many of those gay men who were permanently deferred decades ago or to come up with a screening mechanism that allows gay men to donate after multiple negative tests over a period of time and no new sex partners.
boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 02:24 pm
@JPB,
I'm with JPB, nobody should lie in order to donate blood.

There are a lot of things besides sexual orientation that can knock you out of the blood donor pool -- places you've traveled, recent tattoos or piercings, etc.

I think we'll eventually get a blood test that is quick and inexpensive enough to allow a lot of people to donate who couldn't in the past.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 02:35 pm
They also ask about recent injections. Geez, I got a flu shot early this month, and had a blood draw this morning. I wonder how they'll take that.
0 Replies

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not they should not. I am so tired of people blaming gays and bisexuals for STIs.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 08:36 am

Quote:
FDA: Stop discriminating against me and other gay men who want to donate blood
There was a time not too long ago where as mayor, I could officiate a wedding, but could not get married myself. I recall a situation in which the boy scouts came to visit a city council meeting in order to earn their merit badge and after the meeting, a boy asked me, "Were you also a boy scout -- is that how you became mayor?" And most recently, I hosted a blood drive on city property, but was banned from donating blood myself.

As the mayor of Campbell, providing for the welfare of the general public is a top priority. As a gay man, however, I am conflicted in my advocacy for blood drives. Under current U.S. Food and Drug Administration guidelines, a man who has sex with another man is deferred for life from donating blood. The ban was imposed in 1983 when there were no reliable tests for screening blood for HIV/AIDS. It was also made during a time of mass medical confusion and cultural homophobia associated with HIV/AIDS. The current FDA ban is wildly outdated and perpetuates unfair labels against gay and bisexual men that live on through decades of discrimination.

https://www.change.org/petitions/fda-stop-discriminating-against-me-and-other-gay-men-who-want-to-donate-blood

Go and read then sign!
0 Replies

WhiteChocolate

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would accept blood from a gay man.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:27 am
@tsarstepan,
What about heterosexual men that have sexual relationship With prostitutes and ask for non protected penetration? Should heterosexual men be banned? What about lesbianos that have no resources to protect their health while having oral sex? Should they be banned? What about heterosexual women who could be infected because Her husband being once of those i referred to in the first place? Its not about sexuality It's about save sexual practices.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 07:27 am
@momoends,
Off hand, I think your reading skills are a tad off. Your post appears to be a tad too reactionary.

The whole reason for this particular post is tone point out the present ban is scientifically outdated and the modified ban presently in effect is unnecessary.

As long as a person is free of STDs and other communicable diseases then they should be allowed to vote regardless of their sexuality or gender.
momoends

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 02:36 am
@tsarstepan,
my writting skill.... i should have begin my post like: what a stupid ban that was .... i meant to answer directly to the tittle of this post
0 Replies