Art or your own things you've messed up, ruined entirely or mostly

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:48 pm
I've been going through my stuff, of which I have much, even though I've severely tossed a lot before this. I admire minimalist design and get the philosophical connotations to that, but I'm a hunter gatherer of the beauty of stuff. I'll just nod yes that it is a flaw, a flaw that impedes mobility, but so it goes.

Not all my stuff is my stuff. I lost my parents relatively early and still harbor some of their stuff. I had a satisfying marriage for many years before it went south in a handbasket and have memories of good times and travels and retain some items from back then. But, dammit, do I have to keep those stupid green glass plates that his mother had kept all that time? (no)
I still have stuff from my last career, a career I liked, so I find it hard to chuck things from then. I'm working up a list of the books and tools and will offer them to some places here in Albuquerque. Or face using craig's list.

I've long known I'm a materialist, that liking looking at people, dogs and cats and birds, land, and things is what gets me up in the morning. I'm very visually oriented, tactile oriented.

So, I've photos of this and that (it figures). I'm going through them to cull.

Just now I ran across a photo I took of a painting my parents had, that I one sunny day completely ruined. The same day, minutes after I took a photo.

It turns out I ruined this one man's art work not just once but twice.

Somewhere in time, maybe very early forties, a person my father knew made some casts and then forged the U.S. Army Air Force seal. This was Charles Wood, aka Chuck. There were three casts made. One went to my father and is now in my ex brother in law's garage, hung on the wall. One went to general Hap Arnold. The third, I've no idea. (I would have been something like two years old).

Chuck Wood was a painter as well as sculptor. He painted a baby picture of me, which I do still have (eh!!) and, this I liked better, a sort of california impressionist painting of a house. That's the painting I killed, after carrying it around for years. Will post a photo.

The painting was nice and sort of cruddy and I took it out to the front porch to clean it, using first a gentle spray of the hose. And last, since before my eyes, the painting flaked off the canvas. I still cringe, cannot believe I did that, and that was thirty years ago. The painting had more zing than in this photo, subtle zing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/IMG_0001.jpg

The plaster of paris cast of the AAF insignia cracked at some point - I don't remember how, some simple bad move by me, but I remember the gut wrenching feeling I had. I somehow put it back together and now it looks like it has a few chips on the edges. Or does if bro-in-law still has it.

So, tell me how you have messed up. . . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 711 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
We lived in the big house when I was a teenager. The big house had a room that my dad called his study. One day I went into the study and found him playing with a ring.

The ring, he told me, dated back to his college days. He was married. She was pregnant (my brother's mother - she would be dead in just a few short months). During that time he would do anything to make a buck. One of the things he did was sell jewelry made by one of his friends. Visiting the studio one day my dad started fooling around with this stone and carved a face into it, a very crude face, an Easter Island face, which his friend later set into a ring and gave to my dad.

And that day in his study my dad gave that ring to me.

And another day I chipped the nose on it. I was embarrassed that I'd ruined it so I hid it away in my room. Then I forgot about it. By the time I remembered it the house had been sold and the ring was gone for good.

I'd do just about anything to have that ring back now.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:09 pm
@boomerang,
I've a ring like that, my mother gave it to me. I've never seen anything like it ever since.
Gold, and the frame around the ring gold. I'd guess now the ruby was somewhere just plus a half inch, and something like 3/16. The ring was broken in the back when I got it, and now I assume that was a way someone in the family tried to make it smaller.

I dropped it, don't remember how, as I was going down the back steps.
No one, least of all me, would check out the steps, as black widows hunkered there.

There is a large building over it now.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:52 pm
I had two Langley vases - a matched pair. They didn't match my decor so i had them in a cabinet in the garage. I was not careful with them and they both broke. I have kept them in plastic bags thinking some day Ii will take them to be repaired. But I know I never will. I could kick my own ass for being so careless.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:58 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yeh, I could titled this tread 'kick your own ass', starting with myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 01:35 pm
I was culling photo stuff on photobucket one day when I misunderstood them, and one of the photos that fled was the one of the house by Chuck Wood.
I still have it, will post it again.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
To edit years late, when I said forged, I meant forged in bronze, or I assume it was bronze. That was the AAF plaque.
0 Replies