I like Bush he's funny...

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:09 pm
Bush himself told The Houston Chronicle in 1994 he joined the Guard because "I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes." That's pretty straightforward: He joined the Guard to stay out of Vietnam, a war he supported. (All the more ironic, then, that he now orders the Guard into harsh Iraq duty, and then sanctimoniously parries questions about his Guard days by noting how, thanks to his policies, service in the Guard is now quite dangerous .)

from...

Omission Accomplished'

02/20/2004 @ 1:48pm [permalink]
E-mail this Post
Never one to let the facts get in the way of a good story, Ann Coulter is standing by her bizarre assault on Max Cleland, the former Democratic Senator. Coulter still insists he's not a Vietnam war hero.

True, Cleland lost both legs and an arm -- but Coulter has done us the important service of noting that those three limbs were not shot off, one by one, with an AK-47 wielded by an actual screaming Viet Cong. Ergo, they aren't combat injuries.

Our political discourse is vastly improved for Ann Coulter's important contribution. This incisive distinction of hers ought to go down in history with such classic formulations as "I smoked marijuana but I didn't inhale."

Coulter also cleverly seizes upon remarks by Cleland and others expressing frustration at the random meaningless of his wounds: In essence he hopped out of a helicopter straight into an exploding grenade dropped accidentally by another American. Cleland has the humility and subtlety to say there was nothing heroic in that, it was just fate, bad luck; Coulter slyly twists such remarks into a blanket statement that Cleland is no hero, he's just a shmuck who blew himself up.

But wait. Once again, here is the US Army's own description of how, four days before he lost his limbs, Captain Max Cleland "distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous action on 4 April 1968 ... during an enemy attack near Khe Sanh, Republic of Vietnam.

"When the battalion command post came under a heavy enemy rocket and mortar attack, Capt. Cleland, disregarding his own safety, exposed himself to the rocket barrage as he left his covered position to administer first aid to his wounded comrades. He then assisted in moving the injured personnel to covered positions. Continuing to expose himself, Capt. Cleland organized his men into a work party to repair the battalion communications equipment, which had been damaged by enemy fire."

So in building her extremely worthy and important case that Cleland's no hero, how does Coulter finesse this?

By omitting it.

Entirely.

She titles her latest ramble "File Under: 'Omission Accomplished'."

No kidding!

The Army says that Captain Max Cleland, disregarding his own safety during one of the heaviest rocket and mortar attacks of the entire Vietnam war, ran out to save injured comrades, moved them back to cover, and then rallied his men to keep doing their job.

Just four days later, with his tour of duty in Vietnam near an end, Captain Cleland accepted one last mission. Here is how Cleland's commanding officer describes that mission:

"Max Cleland was with the Battalion Forward Command Post in heavy combat involving the attack of the 1st Cavalry Division up the valley to relieve the Marines who were besieged and surrounded at the Khe Shan Firebase. The whole surrounding area was an active combat zone ... Max, the Battalion Signal Officer, was engaged in a combat mission I personally ordered to increase the effectiveness of communications between the battalion combat forward and rear support elements: e.g. Erect a radio relay antenna on a mountain top. By the way, at one point the battalion rear elements came under enemy artillery fire so everyone was in harm's way.

"As they were getting off the helicopter, Max saw the grenade on the ground and he instinctively went for it. Soldiers in combat don't leave grenades lying around on the ground. Later, in the hospital, he said he thought it was his own but I doubt the concept of 'ownership' went through his mind in the split seconds involved in reaching for the grenade. Nearly two decades later another soldier came forward and admitted it was actually his grenade. Does ownership of the grenade really matter? It does not."

Cleland's former C.O. adds: "This Ann Coulter has written real slime."

Coulter says she is responding to "insinuations that I 'lied' about Senator Max Cleland." Insinuations? For my part I'm not insinuating anything: Ann Coulter lied.

"It is simply a fact that Max Cleland was not injured by enemy fire in Vietnam," Coulter writes -- a brilliantly trenchant and valuable observation, and undeniably true. She goes on to lie, "He was not in combat," and also to lie, "he was not in the battle of Khe Sanh, as many others [including, apparently, the US Army] have implied."

"He picked up an American grenade on a routine non-combat mission," she lies, "and the grenade exploded." Well, the officer who sent him on that mission calls it a combat mission at Khe Sanh; but Coulter long ago learned to cherry-pick what suits her off of Lexis-Nexis, so she knows it was a routine day of beer-drinking.

Coulter has become the thing she claims to hate -- a caricature of a 1970s hippy spitting at men in uniform -- because she wants us all to stop talking about George W. Bush's frivolous relationship to his National Guard service.

But Bush himself told The Houston Chronicle in 1994 he joined the Guard because "I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes." That's pretty straightforward: He joined the Guard to stay out of Vietnam, a war he supported. (All the more ironic, then, that he now orders the Guard into harsh Iraq duty, and then sanctimoniously parries questions about his Guard days by noting how, thanks to his policies, service in the Guard is now quite dangerous .)

Coulter, for her part, takes Max Cleland's loss of his legs in Vietnam and turns it into a story of ... George Bush's heroism: "... the poignant truth of Cleland's own accident demonstrates the commitment and bravery of all members of the military who come into contact with ordnance. Cleland's injury was of the routine variety that occurs whenever young men and weapons are put in close proximity -- including in the National Guard."

Oh, it brings a tear to my eye! The commitment and bravery of our President pulling strings to join a Vietnam-era States-side "champagne" unit -- especially after he had the poignantly cautionary example of Max Cleland's injuries!

http://thenation.com/outrage/index.mhtml?bid=6
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 892 • Replies: 15
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
Scum.
Andrew Coulter is scum. Dubya the Dunce is a shallow, coward.

The American sheep get fleeced and are oblivous to it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:23 pm
no pistoff, you are terribly wrong, Ann coulter is not scum ANN COULTER IS A PIG. no talent, gOP ass kissin pIG
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:40 pm
Anne OWNS you!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:04 pm
not only is she a fair unbiased writer, but shes also a client of the Hair club for Men
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
ZZZING!!!!!!!

(this was a pointless reply, I dont even know who Ann Coulter is)

(bye now)
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm
OK
I am corrected. Very Happy

Guess my sense of humor is lacking when it comes to shrub. I never find him amusing but then I don't find Dennis Miller amusing either. Are there any Rethuglicans that are funny?
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
I wonder if that woman lost her mind all at once, or if it was a gradual process... Question
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:04 pm
I have never read any of her stuff before, Whew. I hope I never have that distinct honor again.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
The democrats, of which I am proudly one, do give a lot of credence to Ann coulter by talking about her all the time. But then if we remained silent all the people watching TV and reading her articles would have only one side to the many lies and slanders she throws out at us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:19 pm
There is always truth behind her slander though. She just tends to overstate that truth a bit...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
What truth is that? I detected none at all.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 01:31 am
I've seen Ann Coulter on Larry King Live. She comes across as whacked. Even Larry was trying to have her explain a seeming discrepancy in her book but she avoided an explanation.

Given what I've seen of her, I think she enjoys the limelight and realizes that a lot of her outrageous comments are what get her there and keep her there.

The fact she has a page of images of herself and a link to her own "action figure" (is she serious? or poking fun at herself?) make me take her less seriously.

It's women like her that make you mins think wimmins iz evil! *L*
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:48 am
As soon as any putative "truth" has been overstated, it ceases to be truth at all. If you tell me its raining, i may not know for certain until i've gone outside to see for myself. As soon as you say its pouring down, a torrential rain fall, and i don't hear it on the roof--it's a lie, plain and simple. In the case of Miss Coulter, i would automatically check to see if she were pissing down my leg, if ever she told me it were raining.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:49 am
I don't like to call someone a liar, but Coulter are one.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:35 am
Liars
I don't mind calling people liars. Shrub, Cheney, Powell, Rice, Coulter, Rummy are LIARS!!!! Yeah, I have more liars that I can site but I gotta go now and actually do something more important. :wink:
0 Replies