All retch and no vomit....

Enzo

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 02:36 am
@roger,
The Peter Principle doesn't seem to take into account just *who* is doing the promoting. Are we to presume that it's within the realm of ordinary competent management to fail to recognize sometimes that someone is already at their highest level of competence and thus should not be promoted?
It seems like you have to accept the Peter Principle as part of any promotion system. I think a healthy dosage of demotion implemented in companies will counterbalance the observation made by the principle. In other words, keeping the mobility between different work-strata-hierarchy to be highly motile.
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:08 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

The best way to solve a problem at work is to assign it to a very smart lazy person. That person will come up with a solution (smart) that's fast and easy (lazy).

Yes! I believe laziness has been the (slowly) seeping wellspring that has advanced us from the cave to the stars!

All hail the lazy or we'd be hunting and gathering....and probably we, and the planet would be much healthier or happier or something, but it's so much WORK....instead of mucking around on our computers!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:10 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

You're right. That's kind of a restatement of The Peter Principle, isn't it?

"Managers tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

The reason I am not a manager! I saw, pondered and learned.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
@boomerang,
The best career advice I got was to be well prepared
for anything that might happen during the course of a trial. Analyze & ANTICIPATE!

David
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 11:25 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
What about you? What was the best career advice you ever got?
I do not know about the best, but my grandfather who made a fine living as a professional violinist for a major world-class symphony orchestra, told me to get a trade and not rely on music for income.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 11:31 pm
@Enzo,
Yes. I understand that at one company, IBM as I recall, a note on the evaluation like "The employee is well placed" was a sort of code for exactly that. It was also the equivalant of a corporate death warrant. The poor sap could expect no further advancement.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 01:27 am
@Enzo,
Few employees woud tolerate so severe an insult as demotion.
Thay 'd use the door to the street.
0 Replies

caila

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 04:14 am
@boomerang,
Hi. The best pieces career advice I've heard of are:

1. Know your strengths and play them. As Marcus Buckingham highlighted, today's society places too much emphasis on having everybody fix and focus on their weaknesses, trying to make everybody perform according to a uniform standard. What needs to be done is for schools and human resources to start capitalizing on people's differences--the unique talents and strengths they can bring to the table--instead of managing and training them to all be the same way. He further highlights that every person's greatest potential lies at his/her greatest areas of strength, so that's what he/she needs to focus on improving to achieve excellence and true fulfillment.

2. Go for your passion. For this I quote Frederick Buechner: "The kind of work God usually calls you to is the kind of work that you need most to do and the world most needs to have done...The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

I've struggled with my first career (I'm a nurse by profession), but now I've quit my job as a staff nurse and am currently looking to transition to another career where I believe I'd be a better fit. I myself have written a lot of posts regarding this process I am undergoing, mainly to help me understand myself better and clarify my thoughts. If you have time you can drop by my blog at Edit [Moderator]: Link removed .
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 10:57 pm
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

An old Teddy Roosevelt quote, that obviously was not said to me, nor by my boss. But that was the first thing to spring to mind.

My grandfather who was my "boss"....I was his apprentice from a very early age, then later he was my business partner....would often say....If it don't fit, don't force it. I have found that to be one of the truest things in life.....naturally, if a piece of stone does not fit, shoving on it will only make for an ill/improper fit, which undermines the integrity of the project...the same goes for relationships, of any kind....if you force it, it will never be real, or lasting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 11:47 pm
@caila,
I'd love to know what area you are moving in to.
0 Replies