Why do I cry easily when it comes to movies and video games?

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:27 pm
I am a 16 year old male. In school, should someone make a joke about me and be a jerk to me in general, it never gets to me. I laugh it off like no problem. But, for some reason, I can't control myself during movies and video games. If a character I like dies, or they start having a tough time and crying, I get teary eyed and maybe start crying. The music greatly accompanies those scenes too. Here are a couple examples so people know what I'm talking about (no spoilers):

Movies: Gladiator ending (teary eyed), 3:10 to Yuma ending (teary eyed), Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring ending (teary eyed), Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ending (lost it twice during this movie -sam/frodo/gollum scene and the end), Cast Away (teary eyed - Wilson!).

Video games: Metal Gear Solid 4 ending (pretty much the entire final hour of the game I was losing it), Mass Effect 3 (multiple scenes, got teary eyed (hard to say without spoiling)).

That's all I can think of for now. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Am I like overly sensitive or something? I was talking to one of my female friends and she said it was good for a guy to be a little sensitive Wink , but it kind of embarrasses me to be honest. Any advice you guys can give me on controlling these emotions better or just on what the cause is?

Any and all help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,199 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:32 pm
Well, it's good for a male to be sensitive and express emotion, BUT since you think that it's exaggerated, then you should try to find out what buttons are being pushed to make you cry.

I suspect that you identify with the characters so much that you almost get "carried away" with their conflict and story. For the video games, I suspect it's the excitement.

The cure? well, age will "toughen" you up. So will life in general. You will see real stories that will make you emotional.

Just be sure that you don't get sucked into other people's lives. That's called co-dependency and it's living other people's lives and emotionsr - at the expense of yourself.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:46 pm
@fallenkingdom896,
Quote:
I am a 16 year old male. In school, should someone make a joke about me and be a jerk to me in general, it never gets to me.

Quote:
If a character I like dies, or they start having a tough time and crying, I get teary eyed and maybe start crying.

Sounds to me like your sensitivity to impersonal emotional situations (movies and RPGs) may be because you've stuffed your emotional responses to very personal situations (jokes and jerks).

I've found that many times I'll start crying over passages in books or movies when I identify with what the characters are experiencing and their ability (or inability) to express what I've felt (or yearned for) in similar circumstances.

Maybe try speaking up more assertively in those personal situations to see if it will help desensitize your emotions a bit during those impersonal situations.

Then again, if those are the only situations in which you find yourself crying, you're not doing so bad. I still cry during some Hallmark commercials, even after having seen them at least 100 times...
0 Replies

rebeca-cabriales

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 11:04 am
@fallenkingdom896,
i think you maybe got so attached to the games or movies that you must of felt bad for the character but dont worrys that happen to a lot of guy your age even my brother
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 02:14 pm
@fallenkingdom896,
You're invested in the game/movie and that's great. Every moviemaker or gamemaker wants viewers/players who can relate to what they are watching on an emotional level. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. I say this as someone who raced through Uncharted 3 to see if Nathan would finally man up and do right by Elena.
0 Replies