PERSONALLY DIRECTED THREADS

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:42 am
I have had a couple of threads started about me, but i don't go into them. First, because, despite my reputation, i don't come here to get in a brawl. Second, because i am no masochist, and don't intend to spend my time reading the hateful things people might want to write about me. Finally, i just wouldn't give someone the satisfaction.

I once did start a thread which was sort of about another member. However, that was only tangential. Someone had posted an image in one of that member's threads with the legend "obvious troll." So, in fact, the subject of the thread was why people were feeding that member if they thought the member was a troll. This member had told me that i had been put on ignore, so i thought it would be OK. It went along well enough for a while, until one jerk thought it would be a good idea to tell that member about the thread, and helpfully supplied a link. The member showed up, but didn't stick around long because it wasn't actually about that member, and so was not providing the attention the member craved. There has been, since, at least one other thread which was about this member, and i think more than that, but not started by me.

Well, i have since kept to my resolution about no personally directed threads. This morning, i was going to start a thread about a "member" which in fact is a bot, i'm fairly certain. But i'm not absolutely certain, so i didn't start the thread.

Apart from "Happy Birthday!" threads, i think it's not a good idea to start personally directed threads, and consider them largely to be hateful in intention. What's your thought?

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:09 am
@Setanta,
That has always been my thought as well. While I value some contributions more than others, I really don't feel the need to create a thread to gang up on someone, especially one of our regulars. It feels so junior high to create a mob to throw rocks at the unpopular kid.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:11 am
wait, so this thread is about me?

i'm outta here
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:13 am
I see no benefit to starting such a thread. The likely suspects get the business on so many threads in which they are active and the personally directed threads don't really resolve anything anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:29 am
@djjd62,
How the hell did you know ? ! ? ! ?

Thanks, guys, i do appreciate your comments. Except for that little **** Dj . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:47 am
@Setanta,
Hate 'em.

I once began one, ages ago, as kind of an attempt to defuse conflict/ joke/partly real pissed offness, and have regretted it ever since.

Wish they were removed as they used to be.

Though I did comment on one the other day.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:12 am
@dlowan,
Someone started one recently about someone i really despise. But i don't like pile-ons, either to be on the receiving end, or in the pile. So i stayed away.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:33 am
Gus knew how to do such threads in a humorous way:
http://able2know.org/topic/139756-1#post-3861509
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:54 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Wish they were removed as they used to be.

ditto
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:59 am
@ehBeth,

... even this one?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Well, it's only about dj. And he won't suffer, he's already out here.
dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:18 pm
@wandeljw,
Yep....but the aim wasn't to be hateful.

I think joke threads are fine if you know the person/people are ok with it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

(not this this... the other this...)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:18 pm
@Setanta,
These were pretty damn mean. Smile

http://able2know.org/topic/192391-1

http://able2know.org/topic/173573-1

http://able2know.org/topic/133423-1

0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:50 pm
ehbeth, you aged from 22 to 29 in two years.
Tell me where have you stashed this time machine of yours. It is utmost critical that you disclose the whereabouts of the contraption, to advance science of course.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:07 pm
@aspvenom,
I haven't been 22 in more than 29 years.
aspvenom

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm
@ehBeth,
JTT's posted links says otherwise.
Don't change the subject, I still need the time machine Confused Neutral Surprised Smile Laughing Mr. Green
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@aspvenom,
someone reads/follows JTT?

that's just crazy talk
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:29 pm
First, I believe some long time posters at the forum are veritable celebrities of sorts on the forum, in my opinion. In that context, a thread about one of them might be reframed as a "roast." This could be initiated by the "roastee" him/herself, so the "roastee" does not feel completely offended? In effect, a thread could be titled, "Roast me please!" I wonder if any of the posters on the forum has such a good level of self-esteem as to invite a "roast"?

If my memory serves me correct, all the "roasts" of celebrities were done to male celebrities? I do not remember any female "roastees"? Anyway, perhaps, a "roast" is just a male thing?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:39 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I once did start a thread which was sort of about another member. However, that was only tangential.

I call bullshit, Setanta. You did a number of these.
0 Replies