GRID WALLS, anybody ever use these hanging systems for workshops or s

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
I need some tool hanging assistance for my new barn. I see they have these "Grid wall" systems that look like metal chain link fencing. This stuff is screwed to the walls and then you hang yer stuff like peg board. I dont want peg board cause it harbors wasps in the summer and I dont want to get stung and be driven to the hsopital in cardiac arrest.

ANYBODY ever try these grid wall systems and are they any good? Has anyone ever used an alternative grid material like woven fencing ?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,560 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
Do you mean the wire, powder coated stuff? Like this:

http://www.sourceinterlinkmfg.com/gallery/WebImages/BlackGridwall.jpg

I've used it. I really liked it. It lasts forever. I still have some that I bought 20 years ago -- now I use it in my garden.

There are a gazillion accessories that you can buy used for next to nothing, and new for very little, if you have a retail supply shop anywhere nearby. I always shopped at a place called Grand and Benedicts (http://www.grand-benedicts.com/estylezCS/home.aspx) and they would often make me custom fixtures to go on it.

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 06:57 pm
@boomerang,
yep thats the stuff. We have a local supplier in Philly and the units are 4'X5' and with 5 mounting spacers. The place in philly charges 30 bucks a section.
I like their looks and their concept better than "pegboard", which , because its a barn like building (workshop in first f;oor, studio/office on second) I expect some was[s will get in in the summer time (unless I get a bug spry poofer or invest in hamsters to catch em)
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 07:02 pm
@boomerang,
WOW, the prices at Grand and Benedicts are really good. Where are they? I didnt visit the whole site(just went to the catalog stuff )
boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
I haven't bought any in a long, long time but if they still make it the same, it's good stuff.

That price seems really high though. I just looked at the G&B site and for some reason their 4x price is the highest price of all the panels. I wonder why?

I don't know if money is an issue for you but they might have a huge used section. There are so many retail shops going out of business that I imagine fixture stores are packed with used things. You can find them on craigslist too (look for retail display fixtures).

If you need odd things it can be a good idea to build a relationship with a supplier, though. I would go in and say "I need a thing that does this kind of thing" and they'd help me construct it. We'd go back and dig through stuff looking for odd parts, reinventing the wheel. It was so much fun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
It's here in Portland. I'm not sure what shipping might be to order from them. I absolutely can vouch for them as a company to work with.

Look around though. I'll bet there are some retail supply houses near you. Some other places sell retail fixtures but you probably won't find a better price than at a retail supply house.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 01:42 am
@boomerang,
we have one or two suppliers and I got the idea from a book store in Newark Del that was closing. The owner of the store was looking to clean stuff out to the bare walls and He quoted me a fairly good price.
0 Replies