Carpenters: The Tri-Vise

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:44 pm
I saw a video of one of these things. They are new to me and I want one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,200 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Looks kind of lightweight and awkward to me, but you know more about your own needs than I.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 08:58 pm
@roger,
If you ever were a framing carpenter I think you would appreciate the value.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 11:33 pm
There are actually two similar tools made by the same company
roger

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 11:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, that certainly makes me feel properly inferior. I offered my opinion. You didn't want it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 07:29 am
@roger,
I took your opinion. I offered mine. I don't understand how people can take offense at virtually anything they read these days.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a small vise in the garage that I use for lumber and metal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
a couple yeqrs ago, a guy ith a CRC made a bunch of them with our company logo. It was for well head frmers to use. Theyve been around for quite a while I think Hikti had some of them in the 90's or 80's , I recall the Hilti name and then Incra
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
When I was in framing and such I would have appreciated one.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
rockler usually takes others ideas, tarts em up,makes up a "back"- story just like J Crew used to, and then sells their stuff for 5 times the prices. I HATE THAT.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
When I was in framing and such I would have appreciated one
when you spend 900 bucks for a han circular saw (like Hiltis), I think they should throw in some of these doodads (and some women too)
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
My circular saws never cost me that much. They were treated too rough to be spending that kind of money. I recall a time when I had one of those twenty something dollar Black and Decker circular saws and it kept cutting after my fellow carpenters' expensive saws broke. Mostly I bought better, but in a pinch I used what was handy.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 01:10 am
@edgarblythe,
The thing that made Hilti fashionable amongst the pros was that they ha a lifetim gurntee n a eris of trucks that ent around making good on that.
You could break down and theyd be at your worksite within dy. However, I think they ent the way o a lot of high wn stuff that had a "window of application" (Like Orvis Fishing Rods, or "German chefs knives")

Now, I think mot all of the carpenters I know have bunches of xcheap "dedicated routers" foor pocketing and dados and chamfering, nd then they have a few MILWAUKEE saws and drills and planes. Milwaukees are expensive, but not as much as Hilti, and they are built like tanks.
I have a Milwaukee sawzall and circ saw (both 20 V battery) and I love em for working on way out pasture sheds and feeding stations.

(I use my sawzall for cutting firewood when Im lazy to fire up and schlepp a chain saw around)

I wrote Milwaukee aboout them considering a qwell mde ELECTRIC chain saw (battery a course).

I have a PASSLODE framing nail gun nd a finishing gun. the finihing gun, my wofe bought me for Xmas about 10 years ago and I beat the crap out of it. The framing gun I bought at an auction and Ive almost rebuilt it. (It was waaay cheaper than a new one )
The prose dont like the Passlodes foor various reasons but I dont have any problems but I dont use mine probably near as much as them, so I dont see many problems(Occasionally Ill jack a pack of wrong nails into one nd hve to take the damn thing apart to fix it, but thats rare)

Anyway, those sheet metal vices are neat for holding down bords of all kinds, especially foor angle cross cuts.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:48 am
We sided the apartment buildings with the battery nail guns. They mostly worked well, until the new guys they always brought in jammed them. A few times i had to take them to the dealer for repair because the new people would act without thinking and screw them up. But a few new people actually taught me a few things that gave us a better end product.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:45 am
@edgarblythe,
never mix angle nail stacks wit strait on nail stacks. thatll jam a gun so it needs to be disasswmbled. i know. I learned how to re-asse,mble the nail gun trying to un jam what I did
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:57 am
@farmerman,
Speed was the essence on the job I mentioned. If a gun could not quickly be brought back into action, I sent it to the shop. We were blind nailing Hardie Plank. The job needed copious amounts of caulk and we were criticized if we caulked too slowly. Then every caulked spot was criticized if not perfectly neat and smooth. You couldn't win.
0 Replies