Washing out mouth with soap!

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:19 pm

Pretty sure we have all heard of the term, my Mother and Grandmother used to say it, fortunately, they didn't act on it.

So we have legals suggesting it should be inforced in the 1800's and then we have recent years, where children are taken away from their parents for using this form of punishment.

What's your thoughts on this still occuring today, should it be "ok" or definately left on the shelf of yesteryear.

Personally, anything toxic being put into a childs mouth in my opinion should be illegal... as punishment. As for the 1800's doing it to a wife, because she was intoxicated... Shee's try that on your wife today and see what happens.

Thoughts.

Quote:
One of the earliest recorded uses of forcing another to ingest soap as punishment appeared in the 1832. a married couple "were constantly quarrelling ; and that one evening, on the man's return home, he found his wife intoxicated, perceiving a piece of kitchen soap lying on the ground near the spot, he crammed it into his wife's mouth, saying, "She has had plenty of water to wash with, she ought now to have a little soap".

In 1872, The Chinese Recorder and Missionary Journal stated that the practise of washing out the mouth of a child heard to swear was noted by an American colleague, and should be recommended to colleagues in the Orient as well.

In the 1950s, several American schoolboards ruled in favour of washing out a pupil's mouth with soap as a legitimate punishment.

In 1953, Winconsin judge Harvey L. Neelan fined a Miss Mertz $25 for her drunken obscenities and noted that she should be required to wash her mouth with soap.

1963, Michigan judge Francis Castellucci ordered Louis Winiarski, who had been found using obscene language around women and children, to wash his mouth with soap before leaving the courtroom.

A similar case in October 1979 saw a New York resident choose to wash his mouth out with soap, rather than serve ten days in prison for his disorderly conduct and obscenities.

In 1977, the National Criminal Justice Reference System published a report defending the use of corporal punishment in schools, in which a school administrator noted that he documented 200 cases, over his 13 year career, of using corporal punishmenting, noting "That's not just using paddles in every instance, but if you shake a student, if you grab a student, if you wash a student's mouth out with soap, that's corporal punishment under the definition of the law".

In 2006, students at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts carried out a peer-reviewed study on the ability of punishment to curb the use of profanity by interviewing colleagues on their remembered upbringings, and noted that the most commonly reported parental reaction was a verbal reprimand (41%). Soap in the mouth was mentioned in 20% of the episodes, and physical punishments were described in 14%.[21]

The essence of washing out mouth with soap is to place soap, or a similar cleansing agent, inside a person's mouth so that the person will taste it, inducing what most people consider an unpleasant experience. One of the most common methods uses a bar of soap which is placed in a person's mouth; often the person is then forced to hold it for a period of time and/or swallow it.

Liquid soap, dishwashing liquid, or certain other liquid or solid cleansers may be used; in the case of liquids the person may be forced to swallow or to swish the liquid in his or her mouth for a period of time. The used product may also be brushed onto a person's teeth and/or oral soft tissues using a toothbrush.

This punishment still has advocates today, even though its use has diminished considerably in recent years in favour of discipline methods that are not considered violent or humiliating. Additionally, soaps and detergents can have potentially harmful results, especially if swallowed, including vomiting, diarrhea, irritation of the lining of the mouth and digestive tract, and in rare instances, pulmonary aspiration.

There have been a number of cases of arrests, charges and civil lawsuits arising from the domestic discipline of washing another's mouth out with soap; often arising from the perception of abuse of parental authority by an outside figure.

In the United States, there is often variance between individual states as well;for example North Carolina specifically instructs its social workers that "washing a child’s mouth out with soap is not considered an extreme measure" but the Florida Department of Children and Families took away a mother's two children permanently after she forced her 8-year old daughter to chew soap after saying ****, leading to an allergic reaction.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:47 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I think the notion of washing a child's mouth out with soap is absolutely abhorent and any parent or guardian accused of this practice should, at the very least, be forced to undergo counseling. For one thing, it's a practice that could be quite hazardous to a child's health and well-being, and I don't mean just emotional well-being.

Back in the 19th Century, when the practice was apparently wide-spread, it was not only hazardous to a child's health but had the potential of being a fatal mistake. Virtually all soap back in those days was made with lye, which, taken internally, can be a deadly poison. This is no longer true and if you leave a bar of soap out overnight, you'll find that small night critters e.e. mice have nibbled on it; they find it nutritious. It's still a bad idea to subject any child to this type of humiliation.

Most children who swear do so in imitation of adult speech they have heard and are quite unaware that certain kinds of speech is inappropriate in certain venues and situation. They should be educated as to this fact, not punished for behavior that they scarcely realized was wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
Soap isn't usually toxic, so it's unpleasant but not deadly.

45+ years ago, I stole a bar of Ivory soap from mrs. hamburger's stash during a summer at the cottage. The girl at the next cottage stole a bar of soap from her family's stash. We hid behind a cottage each day and ate slivers of the soap til we finished our respective bars of soap - made us sisters for life.

The soap didn't harm us.

I don't recall her name.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:54 pm
@ehBeth,
What posessed you to eat soap? A risk of steeling well I was known for that, kind of a huge risk taker, still am but I'm curious if you feel like sharing why you wanted to eat soap in the first place? Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:56 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Excellent question, FS. I was afraid to ask.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:58 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Clean out the innards?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 03:59 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I think we thought it was less scary than cutting ourselves/each other to become blood sisters. Our mothers would have noticed knives missing, soap not so much.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Ahhh... I see. I love that idea though and I am glad that still exists today, where two girlfriends feel such a bond (sisterly bond) ... Mind you, I gave my niece a love heart with sisters on it, broken in two to give to her best friend a couple of years ago, she loved it, glad there are alternatives today Smile Just kidding on your choice there ehBeth....
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:09 pm
@ehBeth,
OK, but also think it's significant that you've now evenforgotten her name. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 04:11 pm
That's why I mentioned it.

The soap experience was obviously so traumatic that I've remembered every tiny detail.

Not.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:10 am
I learned the word eff-you-see-Kay when i was about five and my older brother, frustrated because he could not impose his will on me, told my grandmother that i had said "f_ _ _ you" to him. She literally washed my mouth out with a bar of soap. This wasn't eating slivers, this was a vigorous plunging of the bar of soap into my mouth until my mouth was full of suds. I think she thought better of it later, because she was very solicitous of me for several days, and had her jaundiced, eagle eye on him. I didn't resent her for it, although it had been a horrible shock--but i laid for my brother, and got my revenge. It was also an instructive event, because i had never heard that word before, and found it necessary to seek enlightenment on the subject. I talked to about 15 or 16 kids, and got 15 or 16 answers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Its more a symbolic gesture isnt it? "Washing ones mouth out with soap to punsih fo sqwearing or blasphemy or talking back seems to be a 19th century act.
Im not sure whether "Home made "soaps, which never sudsed a lot as I recall, didnt have any unreacted lye in there that could actually do harm.

Most soaps today are saponified glycerine and loads of artficial fragrances so theyre , at least , harmless.

Never had mine washed out (even by nuns who were all convinced that some quickly administered symbolic punishment was always what was needed). I never administered that sort of punishment to my kids or any students. ( althoughI did make an entire class determine north the old fashioned way for a surveying class once. They just pissed me off for getting high out in the field)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:17 am
@ehBeth,
WE did blood....heh heh heh...

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:21 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I think it's definitely not ok.

But I'd be surprised if it was a sole reason for removing a child....certainly would not bi in australia.

If you have heard that children have been removed in Oz just for that, I'd bet you anything that the story is bullshit.

Remember, people can say anything they like about why children have been removed, and the agencies involved can't utter a peep to tell the full story.

I've known families who use soap, and chilli and such.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:05 am
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6xbSAQJE5AI/TJQmszcqd_I/AAAAAAAAACQ/5D3XtyNPFR0/s320/ralphiesoap3.jpg

"Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand... "
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:07 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Why do kids do anything? I've asked my own kids why the heck they put things in their ears and nose? My brother stuck a pussy willow in his ear. A friend of mine kid put a small rock up his nose...I used to eat dirt as a child.

By the time they are old enough to answer why they do these things - they really don't remember much about them.
Mame

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:45 am
I had my mouth washed out with soap lots of times growing up and I'd never do that to anyone. It's disgusting and I can't believe ehBeth actually ate it - ewww. My mother was a mean SOB and I'd get my mouth washed out for questioning things. I wasn't the only one but I certainly was the main one. She'd wet it first, of course, and got it all soapy.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 10:04 am
@Mame,
I'd never heard about washing out children's mouth with soap.
So I looked it up ... it's done (or was done) in the "American cultural area" I found ... ...
0 Replies

Yahto

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 10:45 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I wish I had the fortune to be cleansed with soap. Unfortunately, my creators resorted to ear pulling when I spewed naught words, and pain erupted with a quick grope. Especially my mom's super effective long nail technique. It makes your ear red and makes the knees go weak.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 10:50 pm
I still remember my soap washing experience.

I called a neighbor kid a fairy. I was 8.

I got a definition and a mouth full of Ivory.

won't use ivory to this day.

and I never swore within ear range of my folks again. once I really learned to swear...