How to lessen the stink

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:17 am
I now live some where that we have a septic system. And to boot there is no trash pick up - you need to cart your trash to the local dump.

Well seeing that having a septic system - you cannot have a garbage disposal (quite honestly I didn't know that before) - you need to dispose of your garbage in the trash. Also seeing that I do not plan to go to the dump every day - this leaves the problem of stinky trash.

Now - we don't leave the garbage in the house - but we have the trash containers in the garage. So there is a bit of stink when going near the trash. Any thoughts on what you can use to lessen the stink as much as possible?

We eventually plan on getting some sort of trash shed - but I figure even with that there will be some stink - any ideas -
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:25 am
@Linkat,

we have a disposal, but anything that doesn't grind up gets put in a sealable bag before it gets tossed.

a few drops of peppermint oil in the garbage pail will also give it a more pleasanter smell...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:29 am
@Linkat,
Composting?
Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:53 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah I try to double bag stuff - still the odor seems to seep out - I think I do have a sensitive nose.

Will seek peppiment oil
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 10:54 am
@DrewDad,
I thought of that - but have never done it so I really don't know how to do it - does composting stink? Also is there a problem attracting various animals? I worry about that as well.
0 Replies