Tell me about Maine, US

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:26 pm
I was in Maine a couple of years ago, but not for long. I had been spending quite a bit of time in Vermont, looking for a house, and decided at the last minute to take a quick peek at Maine.

Didn't have time to see much. Poked around in a few antique stores and drove along the coastline (which wasn't really visible -- obscured by trees, houses, and distance.)

I did stumble across the Portland Lighthouse and spent an enjoyable afternoon there. I found a nice comfortable rock at the base of the cliff and basked in the sun for several hours as the waves crashed around me and the seagulls eyed me with curiosity.

http://www.puzzlehouse.com/images/webpage/portland.jpg
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:28 am
That's a beautiful photo!

So what is the season for these black flies?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:37 am
My sweetiepie and i spent a week with a friend who lives near Frenchman's Cove, which is across the bay from Bar Harbor, and nestled in the Acadia Forest. The black flies weren't bad near the sea, because the breeze, which is pretty constant and on-shore, tends to discourage them. The lobster was fantastic, and incredibly inexpensive. We drove back to Canada through the "back" of the state, and for a long time, followed the path of Arnold's expedition against Quebec in 1775. I wouldn't want to break down in so remote a countryside. People were nice, and it was very much like my childhood in small towns, in that no one locked their doors, people said hello on the streets, and no one seemed to be a particular hurry. I greatly enjoyed it.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:50 am
That sounds absolutely wonderful!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 07:44 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
So what is the season for these black flies?

In most of the state the black fly season starts in late May and runs through mid-July. They are still around later in the summer but not near as bad.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:38 am
Thank you, fishin'.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
Just in case you are really worried about 'em; here's everything you'd ever want to know about black flies. Wink

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Thank you!
0 Replies