Tell me about Maine, US

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
I'm very interested in visiting Maine... anyone have any opinions about that state?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,774 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:50 am
Well, do you know the first thing a 14 year old girl from ME says when she's done having sex?
-Git' off me pa, you're crushing my cigarettes.

What's a girl from ME most proud of?
-Her tooth.

Did you hear they found a new use for sheep in ME?
-Wool.

What's a girl from ME and a hockey goalie have in common?
-They both change their pads after 3 periods.

How can you tell a girl from ME is on her period?
-She only has one sock on.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 10:58 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Well, do you know the first thing a 14 year old girl from ME says when she's done having sex?
-Git' off me pa, you're crushing my cigarettes.

What's a girl from ME most proud of?
-Her tooth.

Did you hear they found a new use for sheep in ME?
-Wool.

What's a girl from ME and a hockey goalie have in common?
-They both change their pads after 3 periods.

How can you tell a girl from ME is on her period?
-She only has one sock on.

IS there a reason for this post? I'm very serious about my interest in Maine, and I dont' really appreciate this.

Not trying to start a fight, I just don't understand your motives here. There are lame jokes like that about every state.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:13 am
Okay, serious answer. Maine is generally a very pretty state with both sea coasts and mountains. What you can do truly depends on where in the state you go. If you want mountain-climbing, go to Baxter State Park or anywhere along the Appalachian Trail. If you want seacoast-type activities, head to Bar Harbor or elsewhere on the coast. It really never gets super-warm there. You aren't going to want to go there if all you want to do is lay on a beach all day (most of the beaches are predominantly rocky rather than sandy).

There are a few small cities (Augusta, Bangor and Portland) but there is little urban life and if you want sophistication, Maine's not where you want to go.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:49 am
The state is huge with coastal towns, mountains, etc. I stheer any specific parts of Maine that interest you? Are you looking for certain activities? (kayaking, hiking, lying on the beach)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
Historically Maine is a very diverse state, Some towns in the coastal part are older than Plymouth Mass, while the norther part wasn't settled until the 1830's. There are a number of very interesting historical sites in the state.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
Sounds interresting. I like the sound of a sparsely populated area, with a beautiful view. I just love driving around and enjoying the scenery, or renting a cabin on a lake... that kind of thing.
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:42 pm
tsss
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
Sounds interresting. I like the sound of a sparsely populated area, with a beautiful view. I just love driving around and enjoying the scenery, or renting a cabin on a lake... that kind of thing.

Then, you'll love Maine. Maine is my favorite state because it's loaded with wilderness, lakes and the coast if you prefer. When I lived in Mass, I use to vacation in Maine all the time. I learned the hard way that I had to stay away from the mountains because I have asthma and I couldn't breath up there, which is a shame because the mountains are beautiful. My favorite parts are in quaint little towns along the coast and my very favorite place in Maine in Bar Harbor where you get the most beautiful views of the ocean and the wilderness all in one. Acadia National Park is a must see from what I'm told, but I've never gone there myself. If you like peace, quiet and a laid back community, then Maine is your kind of place.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:11 am
Thanks so much Montana, that helps a lot. A friend tells me that its really humid there, though... she couldn't understand why I wanted to go there.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:15 am
My wife & I spent our 2nd anniversary in New Harbor, ME. It's on the coast, near the Pemaquid Point lighthouse. There are a lot of nice art galleries in the area, good but inexpensive fresh seafood at "Shaw's", and a free public boat launch (you can also rent kayaks/canoes in one of the nearby towns--Damariscotta, I think?).
There is a very nice bed & breakfast called "The Gosnold Arms Inn"--you can rent cabins right on the harbor, and the road on which the inn is located is nice for walking.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:15 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
Thanks so much Montana, that helps a lot. A friend tells me that its really humid there, though... she couldn't understand why I wanted to go there.

You're very welcome. I don't find Maine to be overly humid at all, but that's just me. Everyone is different as far as the places they enjoy being, so it's basically a "to each their own thing". Some people love the city, while others prefer the counry. I was born and raised in the city and as much as I loved it when I was younger, I still longed for the country come vacation time. My parents were born and raised in the country in Canada and after spending 34 years in the city, 4 years ago I decided to move to the country here in Canada along the coast right next door to where my mother was raised. I've never been happier in my life, but there are some people who would be bored to death living where I do now.
If you enjoy beautiful picture veiws, the wilderness, the ocean and peace and quiet, then you'll love Maine. A lot of my friends prefer to be smack in the middle of a busy city and I don't understand why, but, to each their own ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:47 am
bm
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
If you head into the North Maine Woods you have 7 million + acres of nothing but trees. You can literally spend a month out there without seeing another human being if you choose to. It's about as remote an area as there is on the East Coast.

If you are interested in doing the cabin on a lake thing let me know and I can point you to some specific places. I used to guide for a guy that runs a bear hunting camp up there and he rents cabins all summer long.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:17 am
Summer in Maine is often a time of black flies and mud, so be aware of that if you're going to be staying anywhere near a body of water.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:05 pm
Wow, great info!

Black flies? Do you mean gnats or mosquitoes? Either way, that's good to keep in mind.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:35 pm
They are biting small black flies. Generally, the season starts in May. It begins in coastal regions and then moves inland. In my experience the flies are tolerable by the coast, but around late June near the mountains - forget it. They breed near running water - so near brooks, rivers and streams.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
Oh, gross. How long does the black fly plague last?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
Yeah, they're little bastids - often called No-see-ums because, well, you don't see them unless there's a cloud of them. And there is, in July, in central Maine. So that's no fun.

And Maine (summer camp, back in the '70s) is the only place where I've ever gotten mosquito bites on my eyelids (fortunately, not at the same time). This has the effect of making you look like a boxer, which is really fetching in a girl of 13.

If you like mountain climbing, though, head to Baxter State Park and climb Katahdin. It's beautiful, the climb isn't too bad unless you go knife edge (which I'm not so sure is open to amateur hikers anymore, anyway) and you get a helluva view. But be prepared; Katahdin is a mile high and even in July you can be caught in a white-out (fog and swirling snow). The climb isn't so fun or pretty if you have to call the rescue squad.

Oh, and if you go to Wyman Lake (near Bingham), ask someone nearby to tell you about when Wyman was a town. The lake is artificial; it's the result of a dam flooding. Way underneath where you swim, there are the remains of houses and the like. You can also canoe on Wyman. I think you can also take a rowboat out there; I don't know about power boats.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:15 pm
Cool!
0 Replies