Nighthawks - Edward Hopper

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 08:17 pm
@wandeljw,
I read some article about the actual spot, but, naturally, I forget. Seem to remember there was some deliberation on precisely where it was; this article was within the last four years or so. I think. Or maybe that was when I saw it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 08:19 pm
@chai2,
I'd never seen that one.

Ooooh.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 08:56 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
what time of the night do you think it is mismi?

I am thinking around 1:00AM maybe? No one is actually eating. They are all just drinking coffee and being reflective.
chai2

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 09:01 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Quote:
what time of the night do you think it is mismi?

I am thinking around 1:00AM maybe? No one is actually eating. They are all just drinking coffee and being reflective.

Yeah, that's it. They're being all reflective and ****.
mismi

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 09:03 pm
@mismi,
Quote:
for years (before I looked at the pic with my glasses on), I thought the woman was looking at cigarette smoke rather than the sandwich she's holding

Is she eating a sandwich? I don't see any plates...I cannot tell what she is holding - even WITH my glasses.

I increased the view to much larger....it looks to me like she is just looking at her fingernails - thinking about - who knows what? I have done that so many times....and quite contentedly too.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 09:36 pm
@chai2,
I think it is 3:20 a.m.
The solo guy is a reporter trying to sober up to write his column, due shortly.
His view is past sinister as a sense, more active, considering 'how the **** do I put all that into a paragraph, gimmee coffee'.
Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:24 pm
This picture always make me think of the days when I worked in the bar scene. By the time we got to the diner, breakfast, chinese joint it was empty. The after crowd scene was an hour before us and we got the dregs. Or... the bus station, waiting for the long transfer between destinations.. about 11:30ish before the bar crowd trickled in. Either way, it's the still before the rush, the quiet, contemplative time before exhaustion and/or excitement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:44 pm
[img][/img]

I can't seem to get rid of that as a post.

So it goes.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:24 am
@chai2,
in retrospect, perhaps i focus on the store to deflect from the fact that i had to frame hundreds of this piece of **** poster in the 80's

i worked in a picture framing shop throughout the 80's and this was a very popular (and hack) image

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/illustrations/2005/12/boulevard-of-broken-dreams-by-helnwein.jpg

i never really got why Bogart was chosen as the woman's (Marilyn) companion, surely Kennedy would have been the better choice

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:11 am
As a club musician this painting resonates. My favorite time of the day and my favorite meal. Post-gig breakfast.
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:00 am
@panzade,
fond memories of this place when i lived in Toronto in the 80's

http://freshlyeducatedmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/3668596382_530910550e.jpg

Steak and Eggs at a great price cured many a potential hangover
panzade

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:08 am
@djjd62,
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4810557339206895&id=5d318b5d709ad19f1fe3009eb2fecc7a

All the good diners have been replaced by the chains.
Tho' the hash brown menu at Waffle House is tres amusing. "All The Way" promises a sleep full of agita.

Keep your eye peeled for chai DJ. She's gonna slap us for going off-topic.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:18 am
@djjd62,
Fran's was/is my middle of the night place.

http://i.thestar.com/images/83/7b/3bdb3ab14ad985c152f16b74d6cd.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:27 am
@ehBeth,
spent lots of time there as well, late night/early morning waffles with that crazy syrup selection

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:47 am
@ehBeth,
Fran's looks like the perfect 3 am roost.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 07:31 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Quote:
for years (before I looked at the pic with my glasses on), I thought the woman was looking at cigarette smoke rather than the sandwich she's holding

Is she eating a sandwich? I don't see any plates...I cannot tell what she is holding - even WITH my glasses.

I increased the view to much larger....it looks to me like she is just looking at her fingernails - thinking about - who knows what? I have done that so many times....and quite contentedly too.

When eBeth said that about the cig, I cut and pasted the image into excel (just to have a place to do it) and pulled it larger, and larger, and larger.
The man is I believe holding a cigarette. The end of it is just a black spot, like it hasn't been lit, or has gone out.
As far as a sandwich, she is holding something, not sure what. There's something in her hand, bigger than her fingernails.

If that's all true, I imagine the sinister man is looking at them thinking "WTF?"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 07:35 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think it is 3:20 a.m.
The solo guy is a reporter trying to sober up to write his column, due shortly.
His view is past sinister as a sense, more active, considering 'how the **** do I put all that into a paragraph, gimmee coffee'.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I first thought 1:34am as that's pretty late, but not crazy late for people to be up.

Maybe these people are somewhat "crazy"

I know it's not 4am, because that would make it officially morning.

I'm still attached to 1:34am, but if the situation is more desperate than I'm willing to consider before MY first cup of coffee (right now), it's between 2:54 am and 3:23 am
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 07:37 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

in retrospect, perhaps i focus on the store to deflect from the fact that i had to frame hundreds of this piece of **** poster in the 80's

i worked in a picture framing shop throughout the 80's and this was a very popular (and hack) image

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/illustrations/2005/12/boulevard-of-broken-dreams-by-helnwein.jpg

i never really got why Bogart was chosen as the woman's (Marilyn) companion, surely Kennedy would have been the better choice

That is a truly horrible image dj. My heart goes out to you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 07:50 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4810557339206895&id=5d318b5d709ad19f1fe3009eb2fecc7a

All the good diners have been replaced by the chains.
Tho' the hash brown menu at Waffle House is tres amusing. "All The Way" promises a sleep full of agita.

Keep your eye peeled for chai DJ. She's gonna slap us for going off-topic.

No, this is great Pan.

This reminds me of in the movie "Diner" when one of the gang shows up, and the rest of them inform him that Earl (who is not part of the gang, just someone who frequents the place) is "going to eat the left side of the menu"

Whoever just came in says "No....does that include the Maryland Fried Chicken?"
Earl, a big hefty guy, doesn't even turn his head away from the newspaper he's reading, or current plate he's devouring says "yes, it does"

Later, there's an outside shot, and the gang is cheering Earl, who has is arms halfway raised in a victory stance.
He gets into this tiny sports and zooms off.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of Set.
Ceili

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 07:51 am
@ehBeth,
I've been to Frans.. Very cute place, pretty good food too.
0 Replies