Timetravel

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:22 am
It is my impression that past and future does not exist. We have only the present, and the present is eternity.
The theories of time travel exist because we have turned everything up-side-down. We seem to think that we somehow stand still, and time passes, when it is more likely to be the other way around. Isn't it time that stands still, and we who pass?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,036 • Replies: 69
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:44 pm
truth
Cyracuz. Interesting.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:45 pm
I agree, very interesting. I like the thought about future and past not existing; however they do exist in concept, and I believe they are only used in concept, for reference.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:58 pm
I've always thought that the question of time travel would involve the way that time moved and not the way that we moved through it. Interesting.

Although, "the future" and "the past" are more or less abstract concepts - as is "the present". All of those terms can refer to many different things depending on the context. I still call random points of time in the future "tommorrow" - as in, I say to my prof on Thurday, that I will bring something in to show her "tommorrow" and by "tommorrow" I mean the next Tuesday. I once used "yesterday" to refer to something that happened years before the then present date.

And technically, the present is even less substantive - you can't pin down what it is, because it's always changing. In order to really see time, you'd have to stop it.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:59 pm
SCoates wrote:
I agree, very interesting. I like the thought about future and past not existing;

Indeed, I say that everything has already "went down", but all that happens is too vast to conceive so our mind can only process it at the slow speed in which we appear to live. This would explain how some people have the ability to predict the future, their brain processes faster. Also this would explain the sixth sense that some folks are endowed with. If my theory is true, that would mean that through deep concentration we could advance through time, at least to the future.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:02 pm
I love it. Do you have a religion about it? I'll join.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:12 pm
Indeed, but I must warn that the hours are very long and arduous, and you will most likely be martyred by a gaggle of angry Southerners.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
I'm used to those risks. I'm currently Mormon.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
SCoates wrote:
I'm used to those risks. I'm currently Mormon.

Sweet, my buddy is a Ladder Day Saint, and he hates Mormons.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:24 pm
?

...(I'll leave it at that)
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:26 pm
I don't know either, I'm eccentric. But anyway Potsy, start spreading the word and we'll take it from there.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:49 am
Interesting theory, Child of the light. (Can I call you Whitecloak, or would that be an insult?Smile )
In the ancient vedic scriptures there is to be found detailed information about distances between sun, earth and moon and stars, along with information about the size of these and their relation to eachother. All of these things were only possible for us to find out empirically in modern time with modern science. The strange thing is that the old monks discovered it all through deep meditation...

And yes, Scoates, I agree that "past" and "future" exist as concepts and have their functions as such. But they are only that. They are frames for the individual mind, wich allows us to divide eternity into "sizeable chunks for digestion" since we can't swallow it whole. But if we break it down the past is really nothing more than memory and history, and the future is but hopes and dreams. One might say "in the future I will..." but once one gets round to doing it, it will have become present. Or to quote an old saying: "The past is history. The future's a mystery. This moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present..." The present of eternity in a single heartbeat
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:40 pm
Forget about time travel my friends.My view is that time doesn't exist.

Time is just a measurement,invented by people as a reference.Think about it,The sun doesn't come up at 6.30 tomorrow.It's just another rotation of the Earth.It doesn't matter to the sun what my watch says,the sun comes up when the earth spins not as a result of me timing it with my watch.

The flowers in my garden are coming up now.Not because it's March 1st but because it's just nature doing it's thing.I might say they come up every March 1st,but thats just me making measurements so I know when the flowers are late or early.But if time or calenders didn't exist the flowers would come just the same.

It's like saying that the tree outside my window is 35 feet away,or you could say it's 15 or so meeters,or 20 strides.It doesn't matter to the tree it is where it is and my window is where it is you'r just dealing with human measurements.

So I suggest if time is just a human concept,If we didn't measure it,it wouldn't exist at all.And if it doesn't exist how can you go travelling through it?

Also if I decided I wanted to have a look at next weeks lottery numbers,and scoot forward 6 days for a look.That would mean that every single atom,blade of grass grain of sand,particle of light would need to be in the position they would need to be in as if it were a week from now.
Then they would all need to be put back to where they are now when I come back.
Thats asking a bit much from the cosmos,just for my whim

Having said all that I suggest That the past is a different matter:
All that stuff has already happened.And the light from thos events is travelling all over the place.

Just look up at the stars thats the past up there.Some of those stars don,t exist any more but we can see them on a clear night.Thats because the light is still travelling from them.

So I suggest that if you were to travel faster than the speed of light from earth and look back you would be looking back at events that had already happened.If you travelled fast enough and far enough and looked back with your fantastic telescope you could see the events on earth from ant time you chouse.

You couldn't alter events or particapate but you could observe.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:02 pm
Right you are, gordy. Time as a concept is born when you look at evolution backwards so to speak. Time does not move. We do. When we assume that time passes, and in time we grow old, we have turned it up side down. Time is not what is passing. We are the ones passing. That is why we grow old. So I can't go back or forward in time, simply because everything that exists does so now, not before and not later. "But I remember seeing it a while ago", you might say, but then you are remembering in the present. Memory, past experiences invoked in present-time... "But I saw it a minute ago", you might say, but when you saw it that minute ago you were also in that minute. And the core of it is that it is still that minute. There is only this moment, the present. And it is eternity. If time went forward and evolution went forward they would counter eachother, and everything would stand still.

But even though time is an illusion, the concept does have its obvious uses in daily life, and without the concepts of past and future it would be impossible to have this discussion. So it turns out to be all for the sake of the argument... Smile Maybe that's a good thing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:05 pm
gordy wrote:

Also if I decided I wanted to have a look at next weeks lottery numbers,and scoot forward 6 days for a look.That would mean that every single atom,blade of grass grain of sand,particle of light would need to be in the position they would need to be in as if it were a week from now.

Yes... it would probably take longer than a minute to make this change... About a week I should think...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
Call me Whitecloak if you wish my child :wink:
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 03:10 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
Call me Whitecloak if you wish my child :wink:

O.K. you're a whitecloak!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
I think time is a person, and he's very meticulous. And he roams around the plane of possibilities and organizes events.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:29 pm
Time is a ghost and it stands mostly still
The clock ticking on around itself
Tide's rolling high and the sun's passing by
I'm the fool for all the things I thing I know
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:30 am
Check out my comments under "Philosophy of God" - Physics has shown us that time does exist as a dimension, so it does "exist" to a certain degree. However, it does not "flow", as living beings we move through it, not the other way around.
0 Replies