Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,056 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Heywood

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
IMO, this takes the cake as the most disturbing election issue there is. The potential (and possibility) of election fraud using electric "touch screen" booths is MASSIVE.

If this takes effect, you can say "so long" to the concept of legitimate elections.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:29 pm
BBB,

Everyone KNEW GWB was not elected in 2000--

and not one who could effect a change, deep and serious checking of votes, electronic selection included-
did a THING.
As mere single citizens with one little vote, what can we do? And
having that taken away from us... why do we even need a constitution, why do we need "statehood", why-- why why am I shaking like this?
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mdguy

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:03 pm
And people say your vote counts! LOL Laughing

Computers with voting is just a bad idea. Too much temptation to mess around the numbers and too easy to get away with it.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
I disagree. I think voting from a personal computer would give the populus a much greater access (most of the populus doesn't vote in polls.) It would also be easier to track from a personal computer because a personal computer leaves "tracks" (service provider, ip address, location...) telling you where the votes came from.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
Oh, I didn't expect this to be so topical (for me.) I'm currently investigating where in Columbus I'd like to live. Upper Arlington is looking out out out.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 09:30 pm
what can we do?
Vote via Absentee ballot.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:46 am
vote absentee ballot
I think Pistoff may have given voters an answer re being sure their votes are POSSIBLY counted correctly.

Vote by absentee ballot!

Good idea, Pistoff!

A second benefit would be that voting by absentee ballot would bring the whole voting system down and unmanageable. Voters could boycott voting machines until they could be made secure against voter fraud manipulation with back up verification capability.

Maybe we should start a movement to spread the word everywhere. I wonder if MoveOn.org would be interested?

BBB
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:01 am
The thing is, its my understanding that absentee ballots are not always counted. Could someone who knows more about political structures than I comment?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:05 am
HobitBob
HobitBob, I think this is what you need for the Denver area:

http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:LYR6IDGphvAJ:www.denvergov.org/ElectionCommission/template23755.asp+Denver+absentee+ballot+voting+and+counting&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The following is the absentee balloting law in California. Everyone should check the law in their state.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:LzNGqpxrWVEJ:www.ss.ca.gov/elections/elections_m.htm+how+are+absentee+ballots+counted&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:11 pm
A good book about balloting tampering and fraud
A good book about balloting tampering and fraud is: Black Box Voting: Ballot-Tampering in the 21st Century by Bev Harris

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/192946245X/qid=1078078477/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1149725-1881610?v=glance&s=books
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:18 pm
0 Replies