Dr. Pepper Ad Sparks Religious Indignation

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 10:46 pm
@wmwcjr,
Thank you, but I couldn't care less what my Thumb Quotient is.

It's a silly ass device in this forum that begs for abuse.

For Scoop Jackson moderates such as yourself you've a choice to make and it should not include the choice of not voting!

Forget the inherent tribal urgings that compel you to choose one side or the other and consider which of the two candidates is presenting a vision for America that most closely aligns with what you want.

If you vote for Obama or against Romney because you've always been a Democrat, you will have betrayed yourself.

Neither of the two candidates is likely to be the perfect one for you, but still you must vote and choose the one most close to your way of thinking.

All the candidates, Republican and Democrat alike, shower bull **** on the electorate. That's just the way it is.

Vote for Romney and you will get a president who is far more competent in terms of managing the country than Obama.

Obama supporters will argue this assertion, but their argument will be based solely on emotion. There is absolutely no evidence that Obama is a skilled manager.

Vote for Obama and, ostensibly, you will be voting for someone who cares more about the "little guy" than his opponent.

However, Obama, a pathological narcissist, only care about himself, and to the extent he champions the poor and oppressed, it is only to position himself politically.

Look at the charity of both of the candidates and tell me which reflects a sense of community?

Even if you are inclined to vote for Obama don't not vote.

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I shall consider it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:55 am
On the other hand, Obama has gotten the nation back to growing, from the deepest recession since the Great Depression, despite obstructionism from Republicans. Romney is of the camp most responsible for said recession and he appears ready to reinstate policies that created it.
FBM

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup. Concisely and accurately put.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 01:25 am
Mitt Romney is on record as saying the government should not bail out GM. He said it should be done by the private sector. There was nobody in the private sector willing or able to do it, and Romney has never indicated anything different. Obama bailed out GM with government money, and the last I heard made a profit on the deal. He levered out the entrenched myopic GM management and worked out givebacks from the unions to make the deal work. That saved tens of thousands of jobs, and GM is now making a profit, for the first time in years. Just one more reason why Bush's Great Recession got turned around into recovery under Obama.

Who's the better manager again, Finn?
0 Replies

Dr pepperholic

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 04:49 pm
@Setanta,
You are going to blame the fall of your life on a drink? Ok let me do that too, I was an ok baseball and ok football and basketball player. Then I started drinking dr.pepper and I become an all league high school baseball and football player and 2nd team basketball. I believe this has nothing to do with dr. Pepper, I'm just doing what you are. I believe this was cause of hard work. And you became lazy and your life started falling apart for multiple reasons you just want something to blame it on. You are a joke.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's clearly wrong Finn. We live in a Country that is dominated by Christians. For this reason only Christian fanatics have much more power in the US, and pose much greater risk to our society.

Fanatics of any other religion have very little ability to force any social change in the US. When there is legislation to force vaginal probes on women, it comes from Christian fanatics. When there is opposition to rights for homosexuals or immigrants it comes from Christian fanatics. It is Christian fanatics who are talking about needing to arm themselves against President Obama and wanting to put weapons into schools.

The only politically effective terrorism in the US, shutting down women's health clinics by targeting doctors. comes from Christian fanatics. And, even though the 9/11 attack was perpetrated by Muslim fanatics, in the US it was Christian fanatics who were praising God for the deaths.

I am against religious fanaticism of any stripe.

But I see Christian fanaticism is a much greater risk. It has the ability to wield political power and its ability to manipulate the minds of too many Americans into acts and policies that are destructive to society.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:21 pm
@maxdancona,
I long ago learned that what is "clearly wrong" in your mind Max is almost always right.

When it comes to Christianity, I might think you were paranoid, if I wasn't convinced that your antipathy for Christians has much more to do with your desire to present the perfect liberal front than any unfounded fears.

In these threads we can always rely upon you to assert you hate all religious fanaticism, and yet you assiduously avoid the sort of screeds against Muslim fanatics that you reserve for Christians.

If you think that Muslim fanaticism doesn't impact the US, you are ignorant or a fool.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If you think that Muslim fanaticism doesn't impact the US, you are ignorant or a fool.

I have given concrete examples of how Christian fanaticism has impacted the US. These include use of terrorism to shut down access to health clinics, and the incredibly painful protests at military funerals thanking the Christian God for the death of American soldiers.

Give a single example of Muslim fanatics having anywhere near this type of impact in the US.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:28 pm
@maxdancona,
9/11

Really?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And impact of 9/11? It accomplished nothing.

The Christian fanatics, because they are so integrated into our society, are much more effective at impacting American society.

That's the reason I am more frightened and more vocal about the Christian fanatics.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Wow!

Are you serious?
raprap

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:38 pm
Religious Indignation leads Christians to protest things that don't exist.

Corpus Christi--a movie that isn't

Rap
maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:31 am
@raprap,
They tried to ban this one too. Go figure.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes Finn. I am serious.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
We used to do roadtrips to Watertown, on the other side of the 1000 Islands Bridge, to buy Dr. Pepper back in the mid-1970's. Very exciting times!
Watertown and exciting, now there's something I never thought I'd see being said (although the wonders of Dr.Pepper might help ease the pain of being there).

Dr.Pepper actually helped me through my difficult pre-teen years. The feel of the glass bottle, the smell, the taste, the retaste of it when I would belch. Ah, such wonderful times.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yes Finn. I am serious.

Then you should be able to provide some examples of how Christian fanatics are impacting our society, and not vague rants about vaginal probes.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's not vague at all Finn. Christians are trying to force women to undergo medically unecessary vaginal probes because of religion doctrine.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/02/virginia_ultrasound_law_women_who_want_an_abortion_will_be_forcibly_penetrated_for_no_medical_reason.html

And do you deny the effectiveness of terror tactics, including death threats and bombings, at greatly reducing the availability of legal abortion in many parts of the country?

And do you deny the pain caused to military families by the Christian fanatic group that is picketing the funerals of fallen soldiers?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:41 pm
I think that Christianity is OK.

It has its fanatic Imam's issuing its ridiculous fatwas on imagined insults and periodically burns a few virgins on stakes, but as far as religions go, it ain't the worst. After all people have burned in Buddha's name.

Ain't the best either, but Jebus was an OK guy. So was Judas.

Rap