Voter Suppression, another phase

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 07:35 pm

abc13 KTRK Eyewitness News Houston

Thousands of voters in Harris County are being asked to prove they're still alive or they risk having their voter registrations canceled. Reporter ABC13-Samica Knight has the story --> http://ow.ly/dDPdr

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 07:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Harris County is more likely to go Democratic than many other parts of Texas.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 07:45 pm
Quote:

Local

Letter asks some voters to prove they're still alive

Updated at 05:55 PM today

Tags:
local, samica knight Comment Now
Email
Print
Report a typo

Samica Knight
More: Bio, Facebook, News Team

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Thousands of voters in Harris County are being asked to prove they're still alive or they risk having their voter registrations canceled.

Related Content

More: Got a story idea? Let us know!

It's part of the state's plan to update records, but it has instead become the source of a lot of confusion.

The county voter registrar says he received about 300 calls Monday and then some more on Tuesday, all from people telling him they're not dead. It's all over a letter some voters received in the mail and they, along with some local leaders, are outraged.

"These are letters of people who are deceased. They have been declared dead but she's alive and well," Baptist Ministers Association President Max Miller said.

Among the living is 70-year-old Patricia Warren-Brown. She, like hundreds of others in Harris County, received a letter from the voter registrar's office.

"It's saying that somebody said I was deceased and I'm not," Brown said.

More than 9,000 letters were sent out late last week by the county tax assessor-collector and voter registrar's office on the instruction of the secretary of state. The letter threatens to remove recipients from the voter registration list if they do not verify they are alive within 30 days.
"I'm very much alive," Brown said.

Leaders in the minority community see it as a form of voter intimidation.

"It just looks like it's an attack for this election," Miller said.

But the county voter registrar says it was the secretary of state's way of abiding by House Bill 174, which was passed last year and requires the state to make comparisons using the Social Security death roll to notify counties of deceased voters who should be removed.

The registrar admits the state's list was unreliable and he says for now, to clear up any confusion...

"No one will be denied their vote in November. After the election, we will take it to see about removing those people that are actually dead," Harris County Voter Registrar Don Sumners said.

The county is still encouraging voters who received the letter to send in a response so they will be on file after the November election.

There seem to be some conflicting statements in the article. I do know that if Social Security Administration thought I were dead, I would surely want to be informed of their opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:03 pm
I may have missed that part. I didn't think Social Security was involved.
roger

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's about the fourth paragraph from the bottom. I'm very surprised that people had to find out about this from the state, or whatever. Anyway, if it involved my name, I'm afraid I would be much more concerned about the SS error than the voter rolls. They claim to be perfect, so correcting them might be a real big job.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know dead people are always eager to go out and cast votes for Democratic candidates, but the law restricts election eligibility to the living I believe. (Chicago may have a special exemption from that rule.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 06:54 pm
Harris County cancels 'dead' voter purge
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Harris-County-cancels-dead-voter-purge-3854290.php

Sumners, who also is the county's voter registrar, said conversations with the Secretary of State's Office convinced him the list of possible dead was too unreliable to act on until after the Nov. 6 election.

"We're not even going to process any of the cancellations until after the election," Sumners said. "Because we've gotten such a response from people that say that they are still alive."

"One might've been a mistake," Franklin said. "We feel like our community is being singled out. This letter didn't go out in River Oaks to the senior citizens in that area."
roger

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 09:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
It would be interesting to know if their reports from all areas are equally accurate. I wonder how they learn of deaths in the first place. I'm sure if someone lost benefits for this reason, they would go through hell on earth trying to convince them of the area.
0 Replies