Late Term Abortions /Ashcroft Seeks 100s of Medical Records

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:03 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department has subpoenaed Planned Parenthood for the confidential medical records of hundreds of women as part of its defense against challenges to a federal law that bans a type of late-term abortion, the family planning organization said on Thursday.
Attorney General John Ashcroft said this month the records were needed to find out whether the procedure, called "partial birth abortion" by its critics, was medically necessary.

"We believe that this is a sweeping invasion of medical privacy. Ashcroft has subpoenaed hundreds of confidential medical records and we're taking every step within the law to resist this," said Elizabeth Toledo, a spokeswoman for the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

Ashcroft has asked that he medical records be turned over to the government on March 5, ABC reported

Link to Entire Late Term Abortion Article

I am so furious, that probably, for the first time in many a moon, I am absolutely speechless. What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Heywood

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:10 pm
I'd tell Ashcroft to mind his own f*cking business.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:13 pm
Ashcroft told reporters on Feb. 12 the Justice Department was "sensitive" to the issue that an individual's medical records should be kept private.

He said the department agreed to take "every precaution possible" and to "mask much of the identifying characteristics of the patients" and "to expunge the identifying names."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:08 pm
McGentrix- Problem is, IMO, that Ashcroft has his own personal agenda, that has little to do with the law. I personally would not want the man handling anything that had to do with my personal business, when he was on one of his crusades.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:11 pm
oh, I see, if he told the press it's ok, then I guess it's ok.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:11 pm
NOT!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:40 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I personally would not want the man handling anything that had to do with my personal business, when he was on one of his crusades.

He's such a deviate, I couldn't agree more.........
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:10 pm
I don't think law has any business butting in to something that personal.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:30 pm
A fetus is not a person. In my opinion, you aren't a person until you're in my phone book.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:14 am
Interesting, that Rush Limbaugh feels his medical records should be private. If he was doctor hopping for oxycontin, this is his own business.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 08:47 am
Big brother arrived later than expected. Ashcroft should be relegated to covering naked statues.
0 Replies