A2K virtual friend, I'd love you to meet, ______, my physical friend

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:06 pm
I have a friend and neighbor, D. He's a retired architect and current city planner. I always think about how much I would love to introduce him to osso. I imagine I'd be quickly forgotten as the conversion ricocheted around me.

I'd enjoy being the fly on the wall for that. I'd just refill their wine glasses and be quiet. I think I'd learn a lot.

I'd love to introduce Setanta and 2 Packs to my brother. I'd hide under the table and listen to them discuss military history.

How about you? Do you have virtual friends that you know would get along with one of your real life friends?

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:31 pm
@boomerang,
Bookmarking.
Excellent suggestions so far, boomerang.
Let me think on this for a bit. I'm certain I can come up with some very interesting introductions myself! Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:34 pm
2 packs could move in down the road and blend right in with all of my friends, both stage and automotive...

except for his accent. that might stand out a little.

edgar and mr vw would be a long interesting chat, too...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:54 pm
Thought of an introduction made in heaven already!
There's a woman (I'll call A) who catalogues & shelves books where I do voluntary work.
An extremely nice woman, but ....
If, in passing, you ask something like : "How's the shelving going?"
You will be stuck for 20 minutes, eyes glazing over, while she explains (in depth!) the pros, cons, difficulties, etc, etc, of shelving books! And will continue from where she left off the next time your paths cross! Shocked
Help! Smile
I'd like to introduce A to Bill.
They could have extended, deeply fascinating topic discussions on all their favourite subjects ... a thread that never has to end! With always some new point to be made to keep the ball rolling! Smile

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 08:55 pm
My sister would fall at the feet of BBB. I'd be a bit afraid of those two together, it would be a marathon love fest of verbiage. It would be a religious experience.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:04 pm
@msolga,
OMG! Are you sure you're really in Australia? I think I've met her.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:14 pm
@roger,
Laughing

Yes, I am, Roger.
OMG, that means there's more than one of em! Surprised
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:17 pm
If my dad was still alive - sadly he's been gone for quite a while now - I would really have liked to have introduced him to Farmerman.
Because they have so much in common! (a deep love & respect for animals, very similar approaches to gardening & growing things (organic matter ... manure! Smile ) ...
Also a tolerance, an ability to work cooperatively with their immediate neighbours, despite quite a few real cultural & other differences.
Then the politics. Completely different! : Such different perspectives would make for fascinating conversations to listen to! Though, oddly enough (& not at all surprising to me) , I think they'd have more in common (from a humanistic perspective) than serious differences.
Plus (of course) the Eastern European connections. From completely different generations, living in different countries.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:23 pm
@msolga,
I would also like to meet Farmerman. He is such a sucker for old railroad ties relabeled as Mesquite Charcoal. The profit margin is unbelievable.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:40 pm
@roger,
I really have no idea of what you're saying, Roger.
But possibly others (considerably more enlightened about the subject you mentioned than I am), will.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 11:47 pm
@msolga,
The only ones around here who are truely enlightened in the ways of mesquite charcoal are Farmerman and my self. This has been going on since Abuzztime.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 11:53 pm
@roger,
OK then, Roger.
I'll take your post as a personal message to farmer then. Smile
roger

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:00 am
@msolga,
Not a bit of it. Confusion is my middle name.
msolga

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:27 am
@roger,
Not at all, Roger!
I'm certain that isn't true!
It's just that I honestly know nothing about the subject you mentioned.
There are probably thousands of people (possibly more!) who do! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:52 am
@boomerang,
Dys would have got along famously with my friend, Robin. Robin has a lot of cowboy in him and loves to have long conversations and drink the night away. Both ridiculously bright with offbeat senses of humor and encyclopedic knowledge of all manner of things.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:49 am
I would love it if blueveinedthrobber (Bear) met my brother Bernie. Both have a history as professional rock musicians and attempting to overcome the vices associated with that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:31 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Do you have virtual friends that you know would get along with one of your real life friends?

I've mixed A2k friends with non-A2k friends a few times. It's always gone wonderfully well - other than one episode of epically funny confusion, when Prabhu met BoGoWo, JoeBlow and Wenchilina.

Prabhu was newly arrived in Canada from the Ukraine (after growing up in Goa) to be with his fiance Nina. Bo/Joe/Wenchy and I were going out for dim sum - I invited Nina (my colleague) and Prabhu to join us. Prabhu was already struggling with Canadian names and could not understand what was happening when I referred to Bo/Joe and Wenchy by their real and virtual names pretty much interchangeably. He enjoyed the discussions with them - but was still struggling with the name weirdness years later.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:50 am
@boomerang,
Can't really think of any virtual friends I'd like to introduce to any of my real life friends...but there are times where I'd like to introduce some to Hannibal Lecter. I'd even be willing to supply the fava beans and Chianti wine for the meeting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:46 pm
I think Rockhead and Two-Mile Mike would get along well. Mike's always
taking cars apart and putting them back together. Right now there's a
mid-60s Chevelle SS in his garage -- doors, bumpers, fenders and hood
scattered all over the place.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:51 pm
@George,
If he's really into cars G, we may have already met.

I've been to Boston and the surrounding countryside a number of times hawking transmissions and other sundries...

I shook a lot of hands.