Terry McAuliffe to leave DNC in '05

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:29 pm
Quote:
McAuliffe won't return as DNC boss
"One four-year term is enough"; former Syracusan says he'll leave next year.

February 26, 2004

By John Mariani
Staff writer

Terry McAuliffe, who rose from Syracuse politics to lead the Democratic National Committee, will quit the chairmanship when his term expires next year.

"I'm going to leave here in February of '05, finish my term, and the legacy that I will get to leave this party is this is a party that is in the best technological and financial shape in the history of our party," McAuliffe said Wednesday.

"One four-year term is enough," McAuliffe added. "I've served my party. It's been spectacular. But . . . I'm gone. I have five little children and you know what? I miss ballgames."

Most Democratic chairs serve only one term. Exceptions include James A. Farley, 1932 to 1940, and John M. Bailey, 1961 to 1968.

Observers credit McAuliffe with rebuilding the national party by paying off its debts, building new headquarters, introducing high-tech campaigning and rearranging the primary schedule.

McAuliffe, 47, learned politics at the side of his father, Jack, a former treasurer of the Onondaga County Democratic Party. By 2000, Terry McAuliffe had raised an estimated $300 million for the Democrats and become Bill Clinton's best friend and fund-raiser.

Backed by Clinton, McAuliffe became the party's national chairman in 2001.

McAuliffe said he is leaving his options open for the future.

"When we win the White House, who knows what opportunities would be available?" McAuliffe said. "We'll wait and see."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 591 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:04 pm
Once again must resist !... cannot resist cheap laugh ... no Fedral, don't do it! ... can't fight it anymore!

I suppose Satan only lets his minions stay out of Hell SO long before he recalls them back to the pit!

Whew! Sorry that ball was just hanging there begging me to spike it. Laughing
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:10 pm
Fedral wrote:

I suppose Satan only lets his minions stay out of Hell SO long before he recalls them back to the pit!

One can only hope....since it would mean Bush getting called back to the "home office" in November. Very Happy
0 Replies