The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

Ragman

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:15 pm
@JPB,
I just noticed that you missed selecting who you wanted between Baltimore @ San Diego. Perhaps you intended on coming back to it.
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:19 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, ragman. Missed that one...

Baltimore @ San Diego
Ragman

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:41 pm
@JPB,
you're welcome.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
(18) Ehbeth (84-76 .525) and
(19) Jespah (83-77 .519) trail.

I prefer to think of us as smiling and

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/106/217/rbhf_57.jpg?w=600&h=600&keep_ratio=1

treading water
realjohnboy

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:56 pm
AndyD's selections: Hou, Wash; NE; Tenn; Indy; Pitt; Cincy; Den; Sea; Atl; Chi; Balt; Az; SF; NYG; Car (24-14).
JPLosman0711

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
Have you ever considered that maybe our picks(prior to kickoff) should be left in private? Someone could, theoretically, wait until others ahead of him in the standings showed their picks and then made various opposite selections with the sole intention of hoping to gain ground.

Perhaps all picks could be private messaged to you and kept held within your own privacy to keep the integrity of the game? Then of course after kickoff of each game the picks could be revealed at your will.

Merely a suggestion, I'm not looking to start anything here.
Rockhead

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:29 pm
@ehBeth,
you girls are synchronized swimmers?

I totally missed that formation...

I veto the secret ballot option as unnecessary in a friendly game. and kinda paranoidally obtuse...
JPLosman0711

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:37 pm
@Rockhead,
We'll see how 'friendly' it is when we stumble upon week 17. I also contend that many people in this 'friendly' game are already taking advantage by using the methods I mentioned earlier.
Rockhead

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:39 pm
@JPLosman0711,
their share of the prize money will still be the same as yours.

freaking spendi won the game once for cripes sakes.

how much prestige can that carry...
Below viewing threshold (view)
spendius

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:45 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Making various opposite selections with the sole intention of hoping to gain ground is fair enough I think.

The problem is defensive picking when someone with a , say, lead of 3 in the standings picks the same as the nearest rivals to guarantee the 3 point gap.

That could be avoided if the leader in the standings was expected to pick before the nearest rivals as a sort of sporting gesture. The "take a bang at that" approach.

Over to you CowDoc. My old Dad told me to keep away from cows. But I didn't. It affected my brain I think.
spendius

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:47 pm
@Rockhead,
Twice Rocky. First two seasons I played.
Rockhead

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:49 pm
@JPLosman0711,
I briefly considered ElvisGrbacQuickymrt, but decided that would just be silly.

I'm glad you approve...
0 Replies

Rockhead

@spendius,
see what I mean...
JPLosman0711

@spendius,
It is sort of fair, in a way, however I believe the integrity of the game becomes compromised when people are making picks based solely on the picks of others. From my understanding, your picks should be just that YOUR picks, with only the slate of games in front of you for you to decide the outcomes.

Yes I believe what you have pointed out would in fact be worse, but both 'issues' could be resolved by utilizing my suggestion.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Actually Rocky, the first season I won I went to one of those shops that sell sporting cups and shields and the like for local teams and school sports. I bought a shield, they were cheapest, and had it inscribed "spendi: A2K NFL Pick-um Champion 2009". It stands on my mantlepiece. I polish it up now and again.

I bet you wish you hadn't mentioned the matter.
Rockhead

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:01 pm
@spendius,
you don't want me to pretend surprise do you old chap?

give it a rub for me, why dontcha...

http://identitylovefaith.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/gollum-ring.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:11 pm
@JPLosman0711,
I got back into football for fun in this thread, after other stuff going on, but I had a long history of attention, off and on, depending on my life. Not re betting, but liking football.

I did look at what others picked as part of my research, which involves a lot of mulling over and guessing. At best others choices might have made me research more. I often enjoy disagreeing in secret, easily as much as I enjoy agreeing. But even in the beginning of my being here, I didn't base my picks on the picks of others (no brain of their own?)

I'd be surprised if anyone here uses your method and if he or she did, there would be wobbly results.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:12 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:
Someone could, theoretically, wait until others ahead of him in the standings showed their picks and then made various opposite selections with the sole intention of hoping to gain ground.

What do you mean "theoretically." Spendi did that every week.

I try to post my picks as soon as possible, sans research, thought or effort. I haven't felt compromised at all.
realjohnboy

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:16 pm
@Ticomaya,
Did I get your picks this week, Tico? You normally post on Tuesday's.