WHY DO AMERICANS EVADE JURY DUTY?

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:19 pm
Patiodog- Actually, the ones that they should hang in many cases are the defense attorneys! Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:20 pm
misti, what was the final result, did you get your 1 case?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:28 pm
BillW, no, I didn't get to sit on a case yesterday, and today was "stand-by" ... maybe tomorrow?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:58 pm
Maybe, good luck. I had one back in the '80s. It was a murder trial. I throughly enjoyed my service to society!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
BillW: I would also enjoy a murder trial, but I don't think it's going to happen this time.

I phoned in for my orders, they are "standby" again, call between 10:00 and 10:15!

It doesn't look too hopeful for tomorrow either!

I guess I'm stuck working:(
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:56 pm
Today we were called to Jury Duty at 12:30 pm. We went through the jury selection process, in the courtroom, and were questioned by prosecuting/defense attorney, which took about 2 hrs.

I was not one of the chosen few, (7 out of 22) which was disappointing but I was totally impressed with the entire process.

After it was decided, we assembled in the jury assembly room, then the Judge came, took time out of his busy schedule, to speak with us as to the importance of our role. He said on Monday they had 250 cases, which were all whittled down, somehow or other, (settled/plea bargained) except for 6 cases.

He made us feel that they couldn't do it without us, he actually said that:)

I'm sorry I wasn't selected to serve, but I'm delighted to have had the opportunity to see how our judicial system sets the scene.

I'm impressed!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 06:45 pm
Misti, I'm glad you had a positive experience in the jury selection process. I think you have three years before your name comes on the list again for jury duty. c.i.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 06:53 pm
c.i., The only thing I know for sure is they said if you're called again within the year, you do not have to serve. So............... I would do it again in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:40 am
Patio:

They have a huge rope in the Jury room. We know what's in store for us, by just looking at the rope!! Drunk
0 Replies