WHY DO AMERICANS EVADE JURY DUTY?

Matrix500

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 01:38 am
Booman...

I felt bad/guilty when I had to opt out of jury duty, but there really was nothing I could do about it. When I called and talked to the bailiff about it, he told me that I had a perfectly reasonable reason for not being available and at the same time told me the excuses some people had given him...they were lame.

If they ask me to serve on a jury sometime after my situation changes then I'll be more than willing to.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 01:49 am
Look in the LEGAL category
Jespah has a very funny list of
people's amazing excuses used
to be excused from jury duty.
I do not understand why - do
they think they are too vital or
important to assist their own
judicial system?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 02:04 am
I understand Matrix......I was just feeling stronglly about my position and hope I didn't make you feel bad. I realize that along with irresponsibility, and apathy, there are also genuine reasons for not appearing. Excuse me while I step down off this soap box.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 02:38 am
I lost a days pay as well due to loss of overtime and in my case I am a single mother who worked overtime just to make ends meet. I was happy to serve as well and did nothing to try and get out of it, but I was called up to the jury box and called back down. I was not needed and was humiliated at the same time. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I have nothing against jury duty, but you shouldn't be called if you're not absolutely needed. I lost a days pay for nothing and that was not fair to me at all.

Now that I said that, I'm running away as fast as I can dodging things being thrown, lol.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 02:45 am
It's okay, Booman, you didn't make me feel bad...I felt bad on my own when I couldn't go, but they've already called me more than once, so I expect they'll call me again sometime...besides, with all of those people who are getting out of jury duty for lame excuses, there will always be a need for more of us to go sit in their place. Smile
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 02:56 am
Hi, gezzy...

I think that happens to a lot of people. Although sitting on a jury is a right and a privilege, it would be nice if jurors were compensated a little more fairly for their time...Nothing special, just enough to make up for the wages they lose while sitting. Maybe if people weren't put into a situation like the one you found yourself in, they would be more willing to serve.

And, DON'T run away fearing things will be thrown at you - they shouldn't be. You did nothing wrong. You did your part, and for it you paid a price that wasn't fair.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 03:00 am
babs...

Wonder what kind of jurors these people in Jespah's list think they'll get if they ever have to defend themselves in a trial...

I guess what goes around comes around.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 03:04 am
I couldn't agree more Matrix. If I was paid what I lost that day, it wouldn't have been a problem. I was proud to serve or in my case, not serve, lol.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 10:26 am
babs --

sheesh, i was just proffering a reason why people might opt out. i had no idea employers were required to pay people while they were gone for jury duty -- though as someone who worked as a temp for two full years, i can tell you there are circumstances under which this would mean a straight up loss of income.

i've never been called myself, and wouldn't hesitate to serve if i was.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:09 pm
Two or three years ago, one of my co-workers was selected for federal grand jury duty. Twice a month for eighteen months, he had to do a three or four-day stretch at the state capital, 200 miles away. He'd travel up the evening before, check into a motel for three or four nights and show up at the Federal Courthouse before 8:00 a.m. each morning, the day's hearing adjourning around 4:30 p.m. His motel bill and meals were paid. He also received round-trip mileage to and from home, as well as round-trip mileage between motel and court, and, I seem to recall, less than $20.00 per-diem compensation. He lost approximately 130 days' income during this period, and our firm was greatly impacted by the absence of this key employee. This was all to do with a fraud case involving a multi-national corporation. The grand jury had been impaneled well over a year before my co-worker's duty commenced and was far from being resolved when his term ended. He recalls little of the matter, knows not whether an indictment has ever been handed down, and cares not in the least. It's very reminiscent of the Jarndyce and Jarndyce case from Dickens' "Bleak House", in which only the lawyers were concerned with the proceedings.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
Requirements for employers to continue to pay people while they are on jury duty vary by state. Here is MA the employer must pay for your 1st 3 days but that's it. If you serve longer than that your on your own.

From a quick search on the web it appears that this type of law is only in place in 12-15 of the 50 states. In all of the other states the policy is entirely dependent upon your employer.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 12:24 am
Gosh, I thought that it is a
law -- your employer HAS to pay
you during jury duty - just as they
would for sick time. But, if you are
self-employed or your income is based
primarily on tips...then you certainly
could get screwed all around about
pay, which is definetely not right.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:35 am
The loss of pay for me was my only real gripe. I was bartending at the time and the loss of a days pay really hurt.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:36 am
Dunno abt the Americans, but here in England - it is a waste of bloody time !! I had to do jury service 3 weeks ago or so, and I am yet to come across a more inefficient process....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 08:26 am
babsatamelia wrote:
Gosh, I thought that it is a
law -- your employer HAS to pay
you during jury duty - just as they
would for sick time. But, if you are
self-employed or your income is based
primarily on tips...then you certainly
could get screwed all around about
pay, which is definetely not right.

If you run a quick Google search on "Employee Pay Jury Duty" you'll find all sorts of employer policy papers/employee handbooks on how they handle Jury Duty. It seems continued pay is very big as an employee benefit amongst Universities and government agencies but less so elsewhere.

Employers aren't all required to provide paid time off for illness either unless it is under some limited circumstances. Most employers do but it's a benefit established between employer and employee, not necessarily anything established by law. My current employer dosn't have a "sick time" benefit but we do have more standard vacation days than the average so it works out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 09:06 am
Eh, jury duty.

I well recall the last time I was in, a woman came in, with her screaming infant in her arms, complaining that she couldn't come in, isn't it obvious, etc. The clerk did his best to explain to her that she could have called, and would have been excused. After all, if she wasn't available, they'd need some notice in order to get in someone else. The woman didn't seem to get the concept of having the courtesy to call and tell them she couldn't come in. And so it goes.

Many, many people find jury duty burdensome and boring. Unfortunately, the process has changed little in the past 100 plus years. Many jurisdictions, like NY and FL, do their best to inform people in advance if they aren't needed, so that there's less lost work time and fewer hard feelings. That has the added benefit of less crowding in the waiting room. After all, at least in NY, the courthouses are all at least 20 years old (many are a lot older) and there just isn't budget $$ to add more seats, or more comfortable seats and they sure as heck aren't in the business of providing entertainment.

Yes, jury pay stinks. But it comes out of your taxes, and everyone is paid the same amount. Want to be paid more? Then be prepared to pay for it in taxes. Oh, and it wouldn't be fair to not compensate the executive on jury duty for her fair pay, now, would it? Gonna pay her $1,000 per day? No? I'm sorry for people who lost regular earnings, but the reason why jury duty pay isn't better is to take away the incentive. Otherwise, we'd have professional jurors.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:57 pm
PROFESSIONAL JURORS Surprised - Good Lord Jespah
that just gives me the goosebumps; can you picture that?
I can't. I only was called once, and I served once and
it was long, and it was boring, but unlike my co workers
who all got excused from it, I felt that it IS important for
all members of society from the Chairman of the Board,
to the guy bussing tables or the waiter/waitress working
in a restaurant, because you never know - one person
CAN make a tremendous difference. A decision must be
unanimous. If you are the only jurur who sees a
reasonable doubt - you have a responsibility to stick to
your guns & you COULD find yourself in that position one
day. What would it be like if it was YOU as the defendant?
You would sure be hoping to get a jury composed of a
cross section of your "peers". You would be hoping that
your jury had at least one person in it who was determined
not to be swayed by all the others - just so he could get off
after a few hours & go home.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:26 pm
babs - a tiny comment on your first posting - you don't have to register to vote in order to be called for jury duty, at least here in MA. I am a resident alien and have never registered to vote and I have been called for jury duty 18 times. When I finally got someone to talk to about why they keep calling me (I can't serve because I'm not a citizen) they told me they get the names from tax returns and not voters listings. Talk about inefficiency - there must be an enormous number of people who are automatically exempt who are getting papers to serve and this is why huge lists of people are called at any one time. They expect a large % to be non-citizens and so exempt from serving. There has got to be a better way to cull these numbers and make it more efficient.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:24 pm
Three factors in jury duty, reparations; location,location,location. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
babs, Not meaning to insult your avatar, but it looks like a blue toilet seat. What in tarnation is it? c.i.
0 Replies