Adios, Osama!

au1929

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 02:43 pm
I don't know, however this administration with it's accomplished liars are quite capable of this type of subterfuge.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:38 pm
I don't think they would try it with the way everything Bush and Cheney does gets put under a microscope.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:13 pm
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
But was it a "shoot first, ask questions later" invasion? I know I wouldn't characterize it as such.

What a surprise. Whatever, dude.
**fyi, I know you don't agree with what I said. Take note that I don't give a sh*t and have no further interest in any (regrettably inevitable) retorts you may have from this point on...***

Back to the topic.

If Bush is lucky, he'll catch Osama this year and ride the wave to another re-election...

"renewed urgency".... I swear this stuff makes me want to puke. The "urgency" should have never abated in the first place. Evil or Very Mad

I am grateful that our government is not run by such high thinkers as some of the members of A2K.

If you can actually believe that the US urgency in catching Osama, or that we have him in custody, or that Bush rushed to war with a "shoot first" mentality really haven't been paying attention. It is no wonder that republicans are running government. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:20 pm
More terrorist tactics from the US and its allies?
tell us where he is or you will never see daylight again!
Quote:
U.S. Hunt for Bin Laden Gathers Steam
By KATHERINE PFLEGER SHRADER

WASHINGTON (AP) - The United States is rounding up and questioning the relatives of fugitive al-Qaida leaders to generate information on the possible whereabouts of Osama bin Laden and his top deputies. This tactic helped lead to Saddam Hussein's capture.

On Saturday, Pentagon and Pakistani officials denied an Iranian state radio report that bin Laden had been captured ``a long time ago'' in Pakistan's border region with Afghanistan.

But some U.S. officials do say they have been able to extract useful information from Afghan and Pakistani relatives and friends of al-Qaida fugitives, providing hints on the possible whereabouts of the organization's leaders.

So far, the information the U.S. has received is unconfirmed and does not mean the terrorist leader's location has been pinned down or his capture is imminent. U.S. officials caution that rumors of significant progress are overstated.

With the weather improving in Afghanistan, the U.S. military has sent troops and technology to the country to aid the search and to give forces on the ground more opportunity to track down bin Laden. He is the United States' most wanted terrorist for his leadership in planning the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Rounding up relatives for questioning helped bring about the Dec. 13 capture of Saddam, the former Iraqi leader. U.S. officials hope the tactic could lead to information on the whereabouts of bin Laden and his top deputies, especially when combined with information from spy satellites, communication intercepts and prisoner interrogations.

U.S. military officials have said they are planning a spring offensive in Afghanistan in the hopes of capturing bin Laden, former Taliban leader Mullah Omar and their associates.

Meanwhile, American commanders in Afghanistan have expressed new optimism about finding bin Laden. Late last month, U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty said the military believes it could seize bin Laden this year, perhaps within months.

Other U.S. officials try to temper such optimism.

In a sign of an increased focus on the Afghan-Pakistani border, Pakistani rapid reaction forces have been deployed to selected areas in the region, a mountainous landscape that runs 2,000 miles from the Himalayas in Pakistan's northern territories to the desert of southwestern Baluchistan.

Pakistani officials told The Associated Press on Friday that satellite telephone intercepts from last year indicated al-Qaida members were hiding near the border. Two intelligence officials said participants discussed a man called ``Shaikh'' - a code name for bin Laden.

``Some people who were speaking in Arabic have been heard saying Shaikh is in good health,'' one of the intelligence officials said.

A U.S. defense official, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that Pakistani forces have killed or captured more al-Qaida members than any other U.S. ally. ``We continue to aggressively pursue the remnants of al-Qaida and the Taliban,'' the official said.

Associated Press writers John Solomon in Washington and Stephen Graham in Afghanistan contributed to this report.

02/28/04 14:24

Whoever it was that went to study the Israeli's tactics appears to have learned well. Sad
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:59 pm
As much as I despise the mental midgets in office, I doubt even they would be reckless enough to hide news of Bin Laden's capture. The scheme would be too complex, the consquences too harsh, and the risk too great. Also, I think that George Bush - in the moronic fog that constitues his misguided mind - still percieves himself as too much of an honest man to make such a bold-faced lie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:36 pm
Hmmm - and keeping secrets is way hard....
0 Replies