The usage of "beyond"

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:22 pm

Does " a deep sense of loss, anger, confusion, and yearning that is beyond intellectual reasoning." mean "it is impossible that you can use method of intellectual reasoning to understand the deep sense of loss, anger, confusion and yearning"?

Context:

Within this greater context of fertility, it is possible to understand that even for persons who have long decided not to have children, or are much too old to do so, being deprived of the option and having the decision made for them may involve a deep sense of loss, anger, confusion, and yearning that is beyond intellectual reasoning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 678 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:14 pm
yes

Joe(there you go)Nation
oristarA

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

yes

Joe(there you go)Nation

Thank you Joe.
The decision in " having the decision made for them" refers to "don't want to have children" in particular?
McTag

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:53 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
The decision in " having the decision made for them" refers to "don't want to have children" in particular?

No. "Having the decision made for them" refers to other people (3rd parties) making the decision involving them, and not themselves. Or, adverse circumstances might dictate a certain outcome. Either way, the childless couple are affected by events they cannot control.
oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:21 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

No. "Having the decision made for them" refers to other people (3rd parties) making the decision involving them, and not themselves. Or, adverse circumstances might dictate a certain outcome. Either way, the childless couple are affected by events they cannot control.

Thank you McTag.
Of course I had what you said in mind, but my expression was probably misleading. I meant other people making the decision for them, and the decision was inclined to have no children (other people told them: better be childless.)
McTag

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:42 am
@oristarA,

Okay, but it seems to be more than opinion or advice.
0 Replies