Why isn't this a big campaign issue?

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:45 am
Shouldn't a big campaign issue be the Bush Cartel's attempt to buy the second term presidential election?

George Bush has "accumulated" more than 200 million dollars in campaign "contributions" for his 2004 reelection campaign. I wonder what those contributors think they are buying? Bush?

A huge percentage of Bush's time has been spent on fund raising from the beginining of his term and this doesn't include the funds raised by Cheney during this same period. I know presidents have to raise money, but shouldn't some attention be paid to governing, too?

I'd like an accounting of how much the Bush campaign has reimbursed the US taxpayers for his fund raising junkets disguised as offical presidential business.

The following is an accounting of the Fund only through 2002.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:StM9bV4ux7kJ:www.opensecrets.org/2000elect/index/P00003335.htm+total+money+in+George+W.+Bush%27s+campaign+fund&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Bush's campaign fund is the largest in US history---and probably in the world. I guess it takes that much money to reelect the most incompetent and dangerous president in US history.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:50 am
It probably isn't a big issue because if the democrats could they would do the same, or are trying to. The one candidate who could have called Bush on this, Dean, is out of the race.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:06 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
It probably isn't a big issue because if the democrats could they would do the same, or are trying to. The one candidate who could have called Bush on this, Dean, is out of the race.

Nader is in the race. He is calling Bush on this.

--------
Run, Ralph Run!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
When a Democrat collects money for their campaign, they are collecting 'Donations from the people'

When a Republican collects money for their campaign, they are being 'Bought by special interests' Rolling Eyes

Yet another example of the Liberal double standard at work.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:32 pm
Quote:
"Yet another example of the Liberal double standard at work."

Seems to me the republicans are attempting to call Kerry on his "special interest" donations throughout his career and yet Bush has collected more in the past year than Kerry during his entire career. Just where does the "Liberal double standard" enter?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:36 pm
Damn, show me a liberal in this race...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
patiodog wrote:
Damn, show me a liberal in this race...

I would say either Nader or Kucinich.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:08 pm
Nader is not running as a a democrat nor is he a seriously viable candidate. Like all other marginal candidates he can raise any issues he wants to, but he will have little impact on how the major parties behave.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
This isn't an issue that can be presented by a leading opponent, it has to be perceived by the voter. Nader, because he isn't a "serious" candidate, can have talking points about it and bring it forward. Still the voter has to "see" the truth for there to be an impact.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
Tax payer's money
When Dubya flew to the NASCAR race the flight and other expenses were paid for by the taxpayers. There are plenty of other times when the taxpayers pay for the Pres. raising money trips. That money should be returned and placed into the SS Fund.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:44 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Nader ... will have little impact on how the major parties behave.

I, for one, hope you are wrong about this.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
I too hope Nader can have a positive impact - got my fingers crossed. I've always liked the man and believed in the things he believes in - but he has be a direct link in some of the most devastatingly negative outcomes to ever happen to this country....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:00 pm
I strongly disagree with this. The Democrats lost the 2000 election, not Nader.

If the behavior of the Democrats had been "impacted" by Nader the last election, we would very likely have a Democrat in the White House now.

I am afraid that Kerry is going down the same route. He is not doing a good job of convincing me he merits my vote. I don't want to vote for anyone simply because he isn't Bush.

Progressive American's thank Nader for his voice and his willingness to run in spite of the flak he is taking. The Democrats should at least listen to him. He represents many of the voters the Dems are trying to attract.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:10 pm
ebrown, I didn't and never have said he "caused" it to happen, just that he was directly related; ie, one of the factors. No matter what, we ended up with the worst evil.......
0 Replies