Let's amend the Constitution...

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
President Bush today expressed his support for a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriages. The language, technically, would be something to the effect that marriage is between a man and a woman and anything other than that would preclude those other people from (what?) ...
I started thinking about constitutional amendments and got google to print me out all of them POP QUIZ! How many are there, when was the last one added, and what was it about. No fair peeking.
But if you have a chance, print out the seven pages.

If there is any response, I'd like to explore the notion of amendments.
Thank you -rjb-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 843 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:48 pm
They should amend to Constitution to state that dopey frat boys can't become President. Instead, they are authoring an Amendment to allow Ahnold to run for President. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:03 am
Argh, I think it's 24 amendments. The last ones are the things like No Poll Tax and 18-Year-Olds Can Vote.

Constitutional amendments are proposed all the time (remember the anti-flag burning one?). A lot of them die on the vine.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:35 am
You can fool some of the poeple some of the time... but you'll have a harder time fooling 2/3 of the Senate and 3/4 of the states.

The Constitution was purposefully hard to amend...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:47 am
remember prohibition?
Remember prohibition?

Stupid is as stupid does!

However, there are two constitutional amendments I would favor:

1. Eliminate the Electoral College and replace it with one person one vote.

2. Eliminate the bar against foreign-born presidents and allow naturalized US citizens to become president after an agreed-to number of citizenship years---provided that dual citizenship would not be allowed.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:07 am
1. I don't want to see the president being elected by Ney York, California, Florida and Texas. The electoral college serves a valuable purpose.

2. What's wrong with the leader of the American people being forced to be born an American? You would think that with 260 million+ to choose from, we could find at least one person worthy of leading without needing to go out of country. Don't we outsource enough jobs without needing to outsource the presidency?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:51 pm
Good evening... There are XXVI amendments. #26 (adopted in 1971) gave 18 year olds the right to vote.. The notion was that, if someone is old enough to be drafted into the military, that potential soldier should be able to select the government that wants to send him (and later her) to war.
#24 (1964) eliminated the poll tax, which was a leftover from instituitionalized segregation tactics.
#25 (1967) is pretty convoluted, having to do with Presidential succession. I suspect it may have evolved from the assassination of JFK, but I don't really know for sure. So you were pretty close, jespah!

In the last decade or so there have been three proposed constitutional amendments that seemed to be important at the time: the afore mentioned
anti-flag burning; the equal-rights for women one; and a third one which I regret I cannot recall.

Sealpoet is absolutely correct, imho. The Constitution should be hard to amend.

Finally, for what it is worth, I certainly agree with
McGentrix about the Electoral College. It was a clever idea 200+ years ago to ensure that the big states didn't dominate the little ones.

I'm not sure why Mr Bush felt it necessary to get into this debate (johnboy bites his tongue, thinking that Mr Rove is the puppet handler, but rjb is trying to be non-partisan in his postings). Mr Bush already has the support of the right-wing on the Repub party. This may alienate some moderate Repub. -rjb-
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:48 pm
Quote:
This may alienate some moderate Repub.

Think how many 'same sex partners' it will probably alienate, whatever party they favor...

But I have to say, rjb, it was the FIRST time Bush said anything for which I felt I could respect his action. He is supposed to be a "fundamentalist Christian", backing the teaching against same-sex relationships. If he had NOT taken a position, conservative 'church goers' all over the US may have felt he was fence-straddling to get the Gay vote.
And if he had said he is FOR gay 'marriage', he may have endured something akin to "excommunication" Smile --- (but I think that is only in the Roman Catholic Church)

It was actually necessary for him to speak up... but to go so far as to amend the Constitution?
I believe this is better handled by State government, and certainly their citizens should be allowed to vote on whatever law is passed.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:11 pm
theollady...You are absolutely correct about the necessity for Mr Bush to confirm his "fundamentalist Christian beliefs." My comment
yesterday was probably inappropriate.
I am a VERY liberal Democrat but I try to keep my views balanced on threads like this one.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The current Congress will not touch this issue. How big do y'all think it will be in November? -rjb-
0 Replies