What did you want to be when you grew up ...

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
I was always taught not to set my ambitions too high, for fear of disappointment, so I chose either supreme ruler of the universe, or the first Jewish pope.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:59 am
I wanted to be a veterinarian and a singer.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 01:03 am
George wrote:
You may be onto something, Slappy. I bet we could set up our own booth somewhere on the Mass Pike (westa woosta) and make your childhood dreams come true. It'd take the authorities months -- maybe years -- to catch on.

*LOL* You're probably right about that! Wink
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 02:17 am
I always wanted to be a pilot - from my childhood I was fascinated by airplanes. I took up a related field in college, learned to fly gliders - but then by a twist of fate ended up as a banker. an airplane journey still excites me to no end !!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:36 am
Try as I might I can't remember having a passion for any particular occupation or profession at that age. But than again these days the senior moments seem to come more often. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:38 am
uhh, don't know yet. will have to get back to you...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:13 am
When I was a child I always dreamed of becoming a professional baseball player. My dream came true; I played in the big leagues for many years.

My real name is Willie Mays.

Say, hey.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:59 am
Willy Mays? Never heard of such a cat.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:25 am
About when I was 6 or 7, some friend of my folks asked what I wanted to be. I said I wanted to be an archaeologist and a veterinarian. They asked me how I'd manage my time, and I said I'd be an archaeologist in the morning and a veterinarian in the afternoon. And then they asked me, well, what would I do if someone called me in the morning, telling me their horse was sick?

To which I replied (my mother swears this is a true story): Tell him to take two aspirin and call me in the afternoon. :-D

I am currently in school for Oracle DBA and have worked as a lawyer, both a far cry from archaeologist and veterinarian. I picked "My job didn't exist when I was growing up".
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:34 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
My real name is Willie Mays.

Say, hey.

hey! i've always wanted to ask you how you made that catch on wertz in '54?
0 Replies

RLLD

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:00 pm
Crazy?
For some reason, I always wanted to be a mercenary/assassin.... Embarrassed
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
I wanted to be either a marine biologist or a high jump skiier. I actually went all the way from grammar school to soph/jr in High School thinking bio but, then I figured out all of what I had learned. I dont go in the water. So...onto ski, with absolutely no talent or enthusiasm.
Eh...now I just refuse to grow up.
works for me.
0 Replies

jburrito

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:42 pm
i wanted to be a soldier or an air force pilot, my dad took me to see Platoon at the theatre in the 4th grade when most of my friends were watching the goonies, i was learning about the brutal nature of war. I loved all those Vietnam War movies. Before that I wanted to be the lead singer in Twisted Sister or Motley Crue, when i was like 8. I thought they would be around by the time i grew up, and i still dont' like The Goonies.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:48 pm
A bus driver.
(Now, I cannot drive a big car.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:10 pm
You don't have a poll option which covers my situation, Jespah. As a child, i wanted to be a professional soldier. I held onto to that right thruogh high school, and despite the growing ugliness in Vietnam--after all, professional soldiers go in harm's way, don't they? But when i actually joined the Army, i had by then begun to have a healthy scepticism, and the army of which i was a part was an organization imploding due to a great deal of selfish venality resulting from interal politics and turf wars at the highest command levels. Everyone was out to cover his ass, and to hell with everyone else. Had i been born ten years later, i might have pursued my ambition without qualm.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:11 am
When my kids were little we had a chat about what they wanted to do and I told them they could be anything they wanted to be. So my three year old decided after much thought that he would be a sheep.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:37 am
When I was 14, I discovered Freud and went to heaven.

But my parents sent me to an art academy, so I became an artist/designer who is a really good shrink on the side.
Confused
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 03:17 am
A writer, and a teacher. A writer first and foremost, which i found at the wonderful innocent closed off age of 8. Heh... I still remember the moment. And here I am today, 6th book on the way.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
I don't remember as a child having any thoughts of what I wanted to be when I grew up.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:39 am
i wanted to be a pony and a pirate.

After that, I realised that I didn't have to grow up, and have felt much less stressed since.
0 Replies