2012 Presidential Platform Survey

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
I got this thing in the mail today from the RNC with a bunch of questions that try to determine which issues are most important "to Republicans like you".

I'm not a Republican now nor have I ever been a Republican.

How in the world did they get my name?

It's really the most tone deaf, brain dead piece of marketing I've ever come across.

I'm curious as to how many other people who are NOT registered as Republicans got this letter.

Anybody?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,173 • Replies: 12
No top replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:47 pm
@boomerang,
I did, but before that I got another letter asking about citizenship, most likely because of my last name! Of course this is Florida!
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:50 pm
@MMarciano,
Ha!

What in the world can they possibly be thinking?

I'm really interested in marketing and advertising and this is the first bit that I can't make any sense out of no matter how hard I try.
MMarciano

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:53 pm
@boomerang,
Our neighbor Gilbert has lived in this country for over 40 years and he received the same letter I received about citizenship. Go figure! Laughing
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:56 pm
@MMarciano,
Who was the letter from? The RNC? Did it just ask if you were really a citizen?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:16 pm
@boomerang,
Its probably just fund raising.
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@boomerang,
I didn't get one because I have a Jewish name lol, and yes it did come from the RNC. Marco threw it in the trash. Cool
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I get that it's just fund raising -- that fact becomes really obvious when you get to the end of the survey.

I just think it's odd that they would solicit funds from people who aren't obvious supporters of their party. While I've been known to vote for a few Republicans I'm registered as a Democrat and I have never, not once, sent a contribution to a Republican candidate.

This looks like a fairly expensive document to have produced and mailed and it seems weird that they would send it to me or someone like me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:34 pm
@jcboy,
Mine's going in the trash too.

I do have to admit that it crossed my mind to mess with them a bit by taking an "opposite day" approach to the questionnaire in hopes of pushing them hard right and thereby eliminating moderate voters like myself.

And I thought of sending it back with a WTH? note and costing them postage.

It's just so completely off target that I'm really trying to understand how they determined who to send this to. If they sent it out to a lot of Democrats they could really get messed up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:33 am
I don't think this works any longer because of changes in regulations, but i used to take those prepared reply post cards, and tape them to a brick wrapped in brown paper, and then mail that back to them. It usually resulted in an end to unsolicited mail from that organization.
boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 08:31 am
@Setanta,
Marketing this misdirected almost deserves that kind of response.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 09:26 am
Well, maybe it's worth a try.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
@Setanta,
But, boss, bricks are SO expensive!

Joe(i ♥ it)Nation
0 Replies