WHO'S AT FAULT WITH A SCRIPT HANGUP?

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:50 am
A little background. The Girl and i play some games at Facebook which use Adobe Flash Player. A month or so ago, i saw a notification for a Flash Player upgrade when i fired up the box, so i downloaded and installed it. Since then, Adobe has twice offered new upgrades (something like 11.3.1.11, and -.12, etc.--what i would think of as patches), and offered them about every two weeks to ten days. That is uncommon.

Well, in electronic systems, when you troubleshoot, you test each device in the chain of wiring and devices to find the problem. I don't know how to do that with programs, though. The games frequently freeze, and often you get a message that the game can't complete your last command because there is a script running. This means, bascially, that your game has crashed, because i've gotten tired of clicking on "Stop Script" and then going out to make a cup of coffee, or a sammich, or smoke crack with the whore from across the street--only to find that the game is still frozen when i get back. My standard response now is "cntrl-alt-delete" and shut it all down with task manager. Then open a browser and start over.

This happens more frquently with Firefox tjan IE--but it still happens sometimes with IE. It only has begun to happen since the inital Flash Player upgrade to version 11 (or whatever it was). There has also been a lot of problems from Zynga, who is providing the games. Zynga often doesn't admit that there is a problem until a few million people complain, then they'll leave a brief message saying there is a problem with such-and-such (as though it were not really their problem) and that they hope to have it resolved soon.

Therefore, my question is, if a script freezes, is it possible to know where the fault lies? Is it Flash Player? Is the the browser? Is it Zynga? Is god punishing me because i keep pointing out that she doesn't exist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,004 • Replies: 18

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:59 am
@Setanta,
I'm not saying this is the answer, but might this be a server issue at the other end?
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:11 am
@Ragman,
There would still be the same type of troubleshooting problem. Whose server? Our ISP, Facebook, Zynga?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This means, bascially, that your game has crashed, because i've gotten tired of clicking on "Stop Script"

I hit 'continue script' and keep going
DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:36 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I'm not saying this is the answer, but might this be a server issue at the other end?

Flash applications are generally downloaded from the server and run locally.

Sometimes there will be a connection back to the server if there is a multiplayer component, but even then you wouldn't see the "flash player crashed" error message.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:36 am
@Setanta,
Try rebooting your computer completely, and closing any other tabs you have open in your browser.
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
Well woopee for you . . . and when that doesn't work?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:53 am
@DrewDad,
I suspect that rebooting the box will have closed the tabs.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@Setanta,
I suspect that being an ass toward people who try to assist you will reduce the assistance you receive in the future.
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:36 pm
@DrewDad,
If that's all you have in the way of assistance, i certainly won't be any worse off. The only person in this thread who has attempted to answer the questions was Ragman. I didn't ask what to do, i've already told what i do. Reading Beth's post however, suggested a good strategy for me. She uses IE, i use Firefox. I can't recover the game by hitting "stop script" in Firefox, it doesn't work. But if it works for her in IE, i know what to do. I use Firefox so i can open multiple tabs to pick up gifts. So i would probably be better off to use Firefox to pick up gifts, then switch to IE to play the game.

Once again, Ragman was the only one here who attempted to answer my questions.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:39 pm
@Setanta,
try 'continue script ' in Firefox - I don't see the problem at all in IE, it only comes up in FF right now - 'continue script' has worked in FF over the last couple of days

(I go into one account in IE, and a different account in FF)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:18 pm
@Setanta,
I shall leave you to it, then.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 04:48 pm
@Setanta,
I have the same problem.
Only with Firefox.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a Firefox add-on or plug-in problem but I have no idea how to solve it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 07:40 pm
@Setanta,
I just did a quick search for that issue and came up with this printed article in june 2012 PC Magazine:

Adobe Probes Flash Player Firefox Problems
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406089,00.asp

"Earlier this month, Adobe updated its Flash Player to version 11.3, but the upgrade has been a bit of a problem for Firefox users.

According to Mozilla's support page, Flash-based videos "may appear black, white or grey and never play" in Firefox since the update.

In a Tuesday blog post, Adobe acknowledged the problem and said it was "working closely with Mozilla to narrow down the issue and get it resolved as soon as possible."

One culprit might be compatibility issues between RealPlayer and Adobe Flash Player 11.3 in Firefox.

"Flash Player 11.3 introduces the Protected mode in Firefox 4.0 or later on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The Protected mode is a new security enhancement designed to limit the impact of attacks launched from malicious SWF files against Flash Player," Adobe said. "In the Protected mode, SWFs are rendered using a sandboxed Flash Player runtime. The RealPlayer extension for Firefox, Downloading & Recording, has compatibility issues with Flash Player 11.3."

Adobe published a workaround that "may solve the issue," it said."

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 07:47 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman. I'll tell Set to look at this when he's back downstairs.

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
YVW.
It's a potential place to start.

Here's a thought. he might do a software regression to the previous version of FlashPlayer (or RealPlayer) or to the one that had worked OK.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:30 am
@panzade,
Yeah, that occurred to me, too. It's only in Firefox that the "stop script" option doesn't work for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:33 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, Boss. Increasingly, it looks like Firefox is the problem. It would be great if they find a solution, but in the meantime, i'll just stick with IE, despite it's other problems (which i won't go into here).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:39 am
I just tried it again, but my recollection was correct--opening tabs in IE is a nightmare. I guess i'll have to use Firefox to pick up gifts, and IE to play the game.
0 Replies