BROWSERS AND FACEBOOK

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:36 am
I've been having problems with Facebook and IE, and have been told that this is because Facebook has made no effort to be compatible with Windows Seven. (I have no clue, that's just what i was told.) At the same time, i am not completely satisfied with Facebook and Firefox.

So, i wonder if anyone has experience of Facebook and other browsers, and what you have to say about it. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,423 • Replies: 26
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:42 am
@Setanta,
I get occasional FB issues - I can only really describe it as bouncing - with Win 7/IE. Verra annoying. Often have to shut down the entire browser and then punch it back up again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:48 am
as a rule, i never ever ever ever ever ever ( did I say ever?) update windows.
every time I DO... something does not work. I end up having to track down the update and remove it.
of course, for every update there is another published to fix the LAST update and the cycle goes on and on.

I have windows XP, with firefox and chrome . I never use IE, no way no how.
with those , I have had no problems. Nothing lags, nothing sticks, nothing boots me off, no ads show, no problems what so ever.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:50 am
@Setanta,
I'm not certain about the problem you're having. I've had Win 7 and Facebook for over a year and have no current access or speed problems with FB. I use IE as the browser. My guess is that it's unlikely to be a problem of compatibility of FB with Win 7. It could be a browser issue.

However, I can make a good guess and say it's either a problem with your browser, your ISP or perhaps your firewall - virus protection. Just a guess. Maybe what shewolf wrote.
0 Replies

abyskaria

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:54 am
@Setanta,
It seems we cannot be free without special newly worked out updated add-ons needed that catalyze working of specific sites the way you wanted. May be user survey wasnt up to date and every 100 billion survey feeds cannot be used to redesign functionality. Can you share your idea how can we make this done? Sandboxie or something like that!!! Smile
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:55 am
if you have updated lately...and the problem began after that... try to uninstall the update, re-boot..
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:59 am
@abyskaria,
Sorry but your English language translation is not making sense to me. Perhaps you can try rewording?

What does Sandboxie mean? Many people are unaware of such an application, if it is one.
wayne

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 09:57 am
My laptop uses Vista, so I don't know about Win7, but I used IE for quite awhile just dealing with the problems, then I tried out Google Chrome just to see.
It took a bit to get used to but once I did there doesn't seem to be any problems, for me anyway, fast and easy no problems on FB or anywhere else.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 10:24 am
@Ragman,
not sure what the poster is actually saying, but sandbox (as i understand it) is a program that allows you to surf virtually anonymous
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 10:59 am
Thanks everyone.

Jespah, it's kind of hilarious reading your post. When FB freezes up on me, i often get the little pop-up window saying that Windows is looking for a solution to the problem. Then Windows shuts down the IE window.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:02 am
@djjd62,
I just read about Sandboxie afterwards. Apparently it allows you to set up and segment off an environment (sandbox analogy) to try out an application and not have the changes ripple all over the computer OS.

Could you be saying it shields your net address and identity while surfing the net?
thack45

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:06 am
@Setanta,
What are the problems you're having? ... Not that I can help a whole lot as I usually only check in on FB through my droid. When I do check in on my macbook, there've been no problems. I've seen no reason for abandoning its native Safari browser, which is freely available for PCs.
wayne

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:07 am
@Setanta,
That happened a lot when I used IE, it's never happened since using chrome.
djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:10 am
@Ragman,
i thought that's what it did, unfortunately my memory of the program comes from reading some posts from another linguistically challenged poster, BillRM
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:12 am
@djjd62,
Sorry..but I had to chuckle and snarf my coffee up on that one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:14 am
@thack45,
IE just freezes up--unpredictably. Firefox is only a problem with the Zynga games. It will not display the entire game window. So i'm forced to use IE for the games.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:15 am
@wayne,
Thanks, Boss. The girl downloaded Chrome, it's on the desk top. I don't know if she ever installed it. I'll check that out.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:38 am
@Setanta,
I don't think I downloaded Chrome (at least not on purpose). Perhaps dump what's on the desktop and download a fresh/safe copy.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:39 am
@ehBeth,
lotsa other folks try to slip chrome to you.

you may have missed checking a box while downloading something else.

I've uninstalled it a coupla times...
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:08 pm
@Setanta,
Probably not a good long term solution, but if you get tired of dicking around with it ... you could use firefox for ordinary browsing, then use IE (or another browser) for the games. Set the latter browser's homepage to your most frequented page on Zynga, and then clicking on the IE icon would basically be like opening Zynga as an application.
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/mjpexcommunity/Smileys%20and%20Emoticons/306.gif