Serena Williams Dances After Win

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I didn't know about the Crips in Oakland starting this dance - but I did figure if people were offended it could be because it was dancing at Wimbledon. I follow tennis, but I do it by reading tennis web blogs (often at the Guardian) and I don't actually see the matches and the after match moves. Wimbledon used to be hella-strict and I don't know if that has changed much and if so in what ways.

That's a little fib in that sometimes I see a bit of videos, but I haven't got a clear comprehension of what the venues are when players flop down on the court or otherwise act out. Tennis outfits have changed - and I think even at the Wimbledon yearly tournament - but I'm not sure. I think that generally things are less formal than in, say, the 1930's.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:52 pm
@nqyringmind,
She plays tennis well. I could care less if she does the Funky Chicken after she wins. I am prettty certain she is NOT promoting the Crips, fercrissakes. Is it a slow news day or sump'in?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
a red headband

the lovely Serena is wearing red, white and blue and dancing.

You'd think that was a good thing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:13 pm
@roger,
I had a gang member in class last year - and yeah on the serious colors thing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:14 pm
I think some complaints did center on dancing in general; some, on the gang association with the dance. I think she's a homegirl.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:38 pm
@Lash,
The last thing I think Serena would want to do was to associate with anything to do with Crips. Her half sister (the elder half-sister and personal assistant to her and her sister), Yetunde Price was killed in a drive-by shooting by a Crips gang-banger in a SUV with her boyfriend in 2003.

She grew up in Compton CA from 5 to age 9 before he dad moved them to Palm Beach, FL. I assume she just likes the dance. Why shouldn't she?
engineer

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:06 pm
@nqyringmind,
nqyringmind wrote:

That's my point. She has received quite a bit of criticism for doing the "Crip Walk", for dancing on such an occasion, for dancing on Wimbledon grounds...

I routinely read all the tennis press and all the top tennis sports writers and none of them are talking about Serena's dance. They are all talking about Serena (and all of it positive) but none about her dance. For people who know about tennis this is a non-issue.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:48 pm
@nqyringmind,
I know I heard that this morning - because it has to do with some sort of gang...I would highly doubt she meant it as an honor to a gang and rather just having a bit of fun and joy at her win. As long as it didn't go on forever.

Even Bolt did a wild kind of pointing and jumping around in celebration and I didn't see anyone getting in an uproar of his celebration.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:49 pm
@nqyringmind,
it sorta like wearing hoodies and other dress similar to gangs - just because it became a style. I look at this dance as perhaps having an origination from a gang, but has now become more streamline and popularity.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:52 pm
@Ragman,
hey they gotta pick on something - first Gabby's hair, now Serena's dance - what next?
Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 03:43 pm
Pretty tame (and kinda cute) . . . compare it to this, at the Mexico City Olympics in 1968, which had white boys poopin' in their panties . . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg/220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 05:45 pm
@Setanta,
I sooo remember that.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 05:49 pm
It doesn’t bother me in the least. She won a gold medal, I probably would have done the same thing and I have much more rhythm then Serena. It’s a gift. Cool
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:19 pm
dancing gang members?! you don't want dancing gang members...

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/08/West-Side-Story_400.jpg

really. you don't want this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:36 pm
@Ragman,
The dance is associated with the Crips.

It doesn't follow that she performed the dance hoping for a Crips association.

No one here has insinuated she shouldn't want to dance.

Reaching a little hard for bitchiness today, eh?

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:37 pm
@Linkat,
What was wrong with Gabby's hair?
Lash

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:38 pm
@Setanta,
This was a powerful moment. Love to see it remembered every once in a while.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:39 pm
@Lash,
I'm not intending any bitchiness. My comments were just comments based on my observations of Serena. You've totally misinterpreted me.

A lot of people were not aware that her half-sister was killed by Crips.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:33 am
@Lash,
nothing to the majority (including me) - some have critized her unnatural straight hair.
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 08:56 am
All of this could have been much worse. I saw an interview where she said she loves karaoke, especially to Air Supply. That would have really been offensive!