Abortion's legality under attack.

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
Bill makes killing fetus separate crime

Abortion activists say proposed law threatens right to choose

Monday, February 23, 2004 Posted: 8:24 AM EST (1324 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Expanding rights for the unborn without limiting mothers' reproductive rights is an issue that confronts lawmakers this week when the House takes up a bill that would make it separate federal crimes to injure or kill both a woman and her fetus.
The Unborn Victims of Violence Act is regarded by conservative groups as one of the most important social policy measures that could come before Congress this year.
"It's a step in the right direction, toward recognizing the humanity of the unborn," said Genevieve Wood, spokeswoman for the Family Research Council.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/23/unborn.rights.ap/index.html

Could this legislation be just one more step in the campaign to outlaw abortion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 792 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
It's legal hairsplitting like this that pushes us closer and closer to the edge of that slippery slope.

These are the same people that as children, when mom would say NO, would then go ask dad the same question looking for a different response.

I hope that Congress puts this one in the circular filing cabinet where it belongs and doesn't give in to pressure to "protect the children".

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
Being that the same law is already in place in over half the states and been held Constitutional in every challenge that they've come up against it'll hold if it passes.

But the law specifically excludes anything the woman does herself so there is no way that it can be interpreted to stop anyone from getting an abortion unless their preferred method of having that abortion is to get someone else to shoot them in the abdomen at 3 paces.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:44 pm
"Fedral".......These are the same people that as children, when mom would say NO, would then go ask dad the same question looking for a different response.......

shame those 'parents' didn't know a bit more about 'abortion' back then!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:47 pm
fishin'
One step at a time.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
House Passes Unborn Victims Legislation
WASHINGTON (AP) - The House voted Thursday to treat attacks on a pregnant woman as separate crimes against both her and the fetus she is carrying. Critics say it would undermine abortion rights by giving fetuses new federal legal status. Passage of the Unborn Victims of Violence Act was actively backed by the White House and President Bush's conservative supporters. Following enactment of the law banning "partial birth" abortions last year, the bill is this year's prime measure dealing with the unborn.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:46 pm
fishin' is right -- and I say that as someone who is a firm supporter of abortion rights. I don't really see the slippery slope here (although I'm sure that the bill's most ardent supporters view it as another step closer to reversing Roe v. Wade). These types of laws have been on the books for years in the states, and they are not incompatible with a woman's right to choose an abortion. If it's a victory for the anti-abortionists, it is an inconsequential one.

What I object to is the notion of fetuses as "the unborn." Does that make us non-fetuses "the undead?"
0 Replies