Final Episodes--Phooey!

Roberta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:48 am
Kickycan, I don't remember what happened with All in the Family. I know it became Archie's Place. Then I kinda stopped watching.

As for the imagery, I have to give credit where credit is due. It's the "steaming" that makes the whole scene work.

I haven't watched my Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance. Did I miss anything?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:08 pm
From what I've read about the show (and the previews I've seen), I'd have to say "no," Roberta, but others here may offer differing assessments...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:24 pm
Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee was pretty good, I thought. I loved seeing that sweet (and absolutely hot as hell, I might add) getting shocked at every turn by that guy. He was a very good obnoxious ass.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
I remember going to a party to watch the final episode of MASH. We actually watched the show. Not a dry eye in the house.

I vaguely recall that the final episode of Cheers was broadcast live, and various actors were drunk or getting there.

I loved and hated the final episode of XFiles...
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
Personally, I like the final episode type of thing. Viewers that like a particular series want to see some sort of end, rather than leaving the fans hanging. I think those episodes that end with just another episode are the ones that got canceled, not popular ones.

I liked the final episodes of Sex in the City. How much more can they really go into with the subject matter? I think they about covered it all without completely deviating from what the show was all about. The topic was sex, thus the title. I think they covered about everything from dildos to anal sex.

What was left to talk about? Not much! The female perspective of sex was the prime point of the series. Rather than turn it into a drama, it got canceled by choice leaving it a good and very humorous show. All, except Samantha, were looking for a partner in life. Even Samantha found one!

These women were in late 30's to early 40's. Carrie's topics were bound to run out, being a single woman with her column as a writer. The show would have to completely switch modes, which was not within the context of the show at all.

Miranda, the career woman, had a child, got married, and even took her mother in-law into her home. Of all characters, Samantha, found a man she loved and wanted an exclusive relationship with. We all knew that Charlotte was the romance freak. How many times could she get married? Carrie always loved Mr. Big, who never had his first name announced until the final episode. She loved him and compared all men to him. Finally, he gave her the same love.

Carrie's character was the last to hold the premise of the series. She was a close second to Samantha, who did love just one man. He was very young, but was very supportive through her cancer treatment, always being there, which she didn't think a man was capable of. What else could they do with this series? Change the name to "Drama in the City"? That's all that could be done.

I like some sort of finality to loved series, not some cliff hanger with questions that will never be answered.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:01 pm
Wildflower, Although I'm not a fan of final episodes (they're usually disappointing and try to do too much), I agree that it was time for Sex and the City to pack it in. I'm glad it ended before it got bad. I didn't need a special final episode. And I certainly didn't need the one we were given. It tried to do too much. You can't tie up six years and the lives of four characters in one episode. I have no objection to shows just ending. One comes to mind--Murphy Brown. No final episode. It was just over. Fine with me.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:33 pm
Murphey Brown, fine with me too! That show was making a lousy turn. I think it should have ended way before it did. At least Sex in the City stopped before they destroyed a great story line. A lot of series milked their popularity to the point of ratings, which defied the original intent of viewers who loved the show.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:18 am
Wildflower, I agree. Some good shows, like some great athletes, stay too long at the fair. Sex and the City ended when it should have ended. It was a good series. I didn't like the final episode. That's just me.
0 Replies