Final Episodes--Phooey!

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:00 am
Remember the good old days when the final episode was just another episode? When there was no hype, no nostalgia, no shows with retrospectives on the show that was ending. Just another episode.

Of all the big deal, megahyped, final episodes, only one was good. Can you guess which one I'm thinking of? The others--

MASH
Cheers
Seinfeld
Sex and the City (the latest stinkeroo)
etc.

All from hunger. Aside from one final high rating, what's the point? The shows that are leaving are already in syndication.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,709 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:55 am
The only final episode of the ones that you mentioned that I saw was Seinfeld. It stunk!

I figure that final episodes may be more for the cast, than for the audience, since the shows are going to be around on syndication. To me, it is like making a big party for an employee who is retiring. But in the case of the TV shows, especially if the show has been around for a few years, it is the entire cast's retirement.

I would expect that, for a cast that has been together for years, a certain "family" feeling has developed amongst its members. The final episode, especially if there is a recap of old shows, is a somewhat rite of passage for them.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:04 am
The last episode of Bob Newhart's show, where he woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette from his first show, was priceless!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:54 am
I think the final of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" which probably immortalized the group hug was outstanding. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, it was not overly pre-hyped.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:46 am
Roberta, I'm gonna guess that your fav final episode was Dallas with Joel Gray as the devil trying to convince JR Ewing to kill himself.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:02 pm
Kirsten guessed right. The final episode of Newhart--with Suzanne Pleshette. Priceless.

I wasn't crazy about the final episode of MTM. And, eoe, I didn't watch Dallas.

Phoenix, You might be right. A retirement party for the cast and crew. And we're all invited. Lucky us.

The final episode of Sex and the City prompted me to write this. I was sorely disappointed. It was one of those Don't-Think-About-It-'Cause-It-Won't-Make-Sense episodes. I reiterate. Phooey.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:15 pm
I did see the final episode of "Seinfeld" and I agree with those who say it was a disappointment.

The reason for these is simple, I think: ratings. The amount of hype that "Sex in the City" got from the NY Times alone was astonishing. The only thing I didn't see was an editorial on the subject, and I might have missed that...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:47 pm
Oh My God, I can't wait to see the final episode of Friends! I'm so worried about who Rachel ends up with.

NOT.

Have you seen the commercials for this crap!? You'd think your best friend was about to kill himself. The touching music, the sad important sounding voice-over . . . you can put a steaming turd on a fine china plate, but it's still a steaming turd.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:50 pm
Gee kickycan, you continue to amaze me with your talent for instilling such wonderful imagery in my head!

*ack!!*

No need for dinner now! *L*
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:53 pm
LOL

I love the reactions I get from you.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
kirsten wrote:
The last episode of Bob Newhart's show, where he woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette from his first show, was priceless!

Oh! I'd forgotten all about that one! It was a hoot!!! *L* Definitely one of the better ones. Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
Bob Newhart--wonderful memories. The others I don't really remember (the final episode) except for Seinfeld, and that was disappointing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
Although, I have to admit, I am looking forward to the final "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee". Now that's good TV.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
kickycan wrote:
LOL

I love the reactions I get from you.

Yeah, flattery gets ya nowhere after you've ruined my dinner! Sheesh...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
Although, I have to admit, I am looking forward to the final "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee". Now that's good TV.

I don't think you can hold reality shows to the same standards of other t.v. viewing. Wink

Good t.v.? Uhm....I beg to differ. It's crap! But it IS entertaining and I'll be watching tonight. Very Happy I get the feeling one or more of Randi's family members is in on the whole joke. I think she likely gets the cash regardless...sort of á la the Joe Schmo Show.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:08 pm
caprice wrote:
I get the feeling one or more of Randi's family members is in on the whole joke. I think she likely gets the cash regardless...sort of á la the Joe Schmo Show.

Yeah, I'm thinking that she'll get the dough too. There is no way in Hell they could do that to somebody without giving them anything. Her family, in on it? That would be a very ineresting twist. I hope you're right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:13 pm
I even had a Newhart album...

I think I might have listened to a final episode of the Shadow on the radio the time I had scarlet fever...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
kickycan: Well maybe not all of the family...but perhaps one or more? It would be a great twist, if it happens. Guess we'll find out later tonight! Isn't it on already where you are?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:38 pm
Yep, it's on. I won't blow it for you, although I'm so tempted to!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:50 pm
Did anyone ever see the final "All in the Family"? I don't remember what happened.
0 Replies