NEWEST ROVER TO LAND ON MARS 8/6/2012

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:13 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
What it is, Tak, is that some people don't understand the difference
between reality (i.e. that which is probable and likely)
REALITY re·al·i·ty   /riˈælɪti/
Show Spelled[ree-al-i-tee] Show IPA
noun, plural re·al·i·ties for 3, 5–7.
1. the state or quality of being real.
2. resemblance to what is real.
3. a real thing or fact.
4. real things, facts, or events taken as a whole;
state of affairs: the reality of the business world;
vacationing to escape reality.
5. Philosophy .
a. something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.
b. something that exists independently of all other things
and from which all other things derive.

Note that the dictionary says nothing even remotely similar
to "probable and likely" as Andy puts it. David

Lustig Andrei wrote:
and fantasy (i.e. that which is possible but highly unlikely).
FANTASY
fan·ta·sy   /ˈfæntəsi, -zi/ Show Spelled [fan-tuh-see, -zee] Show IPA noun, plural fan·ta·sies, verb, fan·ta·sied, fan·ta·sy·ing.
noun
1. imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained.
2. the forming of mental images, especially wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
3. a mental image, especially when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.
4. Psychology . an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.
5. a hallucination.

Note that the dictionary says nothing even remotely similar
to "possible but highly unlikely", as Andy puts it.

It looks like Andy just dreams up his chosen definitions,
and then he complains about "some people"
allegedly not understanding the difference. David

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:20 am

Lest there be any doubt, I do not believe
that the chance of E.T. aliens arriving in my lifetime
is even 1 out of a million. Accordingly, I have spent
O% of the past worrying about this.

Let the record indicate that I intend to spend
another O% of the future worrying about E.T.s.

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You earlier wrote,
Quote:
Yes. That is exactly my point.
The E.T.s woud wanna run things THEIR way.
If thay had the means to enforce that, it woud happen.
Rosborne scoffs at that prospect; he seems to imply that it does not matter.

Another possibility is that E.T.s woud see us
the same as if we arrived with bug spray at an island inhabited
by swarms of annoying mosquitos. I surmise that 's OK with rosborne.

You've not only contradicted yourself, but your dictionary definitions applies to you! LOL Mr. Green

You insult yourself!
oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 06:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You've not only contradicted yourself, but your dictionary definitions applies to you! LOL Mr. Green

You insult yourself!

It is truly a shame that you pollute decent threads with deranged babbling about posts that you are not smart enough to understand.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 10:47 am
@oralloy,
2012 August 15
Curiosity on Mars: A Wall of Gale Crater
Image Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, MSSS

Explanation: If you could stand on Mars, what would you see? The above image is a digitally re-colored approximation of what you might see if the above Martian landscape had occurred on Earth. Images from Mars false-colored in this way are called white balanced and useful for planetary scientists to identify rocks and landforms similar to Earth. The image is a high resolution version of a distant wall of Gale Crater captured by the Curiosity rover that landed on Mars last week.

A corresponding true color image exists showing how this scene actually appears on Mars. The robotic Curiosity rover continues to check itself over and accept new programming from Earth before it begins to roll across Mars and explore a landscape that has the appearance of being an unusually layered dried river bed.

PHOTOS

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA16052

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA16051

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:43 am
Death Valley (Earth). Looks like the rocks are bigger. Might be easier to move around on Mars.

http://www.2zmtns.com/usa/ca/death_valley/death-valley1.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Since the pictures from mars is a very small section of the planet, they may still find bigger rocks.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:51 pm
Mars in 200 years, after we continue landing rovers on it... Smile

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/8/7/1344353793265/kelly-richardson-008.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:51 pm
@rosborne979,
If the Carbon they find can be shown to be a specific isotope that is (so far) universally associated with life, then e are off to the races.
Finidng water and evaporitic type rocks or water laid rocks is sort of a secondary indicator. Obviously, the bestest thing would be some type of fossil but so far the macro photos showd only things that are precipitated.

Water, and various kinds of sedimentary rocks doesnt guarantee life, it only suggests that it is possible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Is it my imagination or do a lot of the rocks (blue circles) seem to have a similar shape? They seem to have points with flat weathered faces. Different from some of the other rocks which seem more irregular (red circles).
This is a wild ass guess but they look like "Clasta" which aew chunks of rock that have been either thrown or tumbled or ejected from some other typw pf collision. The concave chunks seemingly broken off, are indicative of "cleavage" that occurs in fine quartz rocks or very fine sandstones when they are thrown gainst nother hrd rock at great force.
They almoat look like theyve been "knpped" like lithic tool fashioned by our ancestors. (I doubt that but the concave cleavages are called conchoidal cleavage and uaully occurs with the plane of the concavity at about 30 degrees off the impct trjectory.)
Of course, after the rocks get all hammered on impact they fall and form a "Strewn field " of chunks. Im sure some planetary geologist is making careful measurements of all the cleavage faces and the sizesof the clasts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
Yup, could be debris from outer space of mars.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
2012 August 18
Curiosity on Mars: Still Life with Rover
Image Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech

Explanation: What does the Curiosity rover look like on Mars? To help find out, NASA engineers digitally synthesized multiple navigation camera images taken last week into what appears to be the view of a single camera. Besides clods of Martian dirt, many of Curiosity's science instruments are visible and appear in good shape. Near the middle of the rover is an augmented reality tag intended to enable smartphones to provide background information. Far in the distance is a wall of Gale Crater. As Curiosity will begin to roll soon, its first destination has now been chosen: an intriguing intersection of three types of terrain named Glenelg.

PHOTOS

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1208/curiosity_curiosity_5341.jpg

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

This is a wild ass guess but they look like "Clasta" which aew chunks of rock that have been either thrown or tumbled or ejected from some other typw pf collision.

Looks like one of these "types" of rocks is the first rock they want to test their "zapping" laser on. Hopefully native martian life doesn't look like rocks, or somebody's gonna get burned Wink

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/images/pia16073_Weins-7UNANNOTATED-br.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 12:32 pm
This is one of the first images in which I can see the "layers" on the edge of Mt. Sharp.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/images/pia16068_Grotzinger-5promisedland-br2.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 06:51 pm
@rosborne979,
when a meteorite hits it "peels" back the underlying rock so were looking on edge at the strata of variousrock types. I think the black layer is some earlier clasts and dust maybe from some vulcanism or maybe water borne stuff.

Anybody from JPL have some dicussioins on the layered look?

The laser's gonna act like a "dewath ray" and burn off some rock material. The way I understand it, the laser will ablate some oof the rok and the spectrophotometers will analyze te smoke.
We do that on earth pretty much all the time cept we catch the smoke in a known unit volume and weight in container.
Im also guessing that these tricks will be less quantitative than were used to on earth.
Im down here at nthe beach at a Starbucks cause our island doesnt have cable
rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 07:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

when a meteorite hits it "peels" back the underlying rock so were looking on edge at the strata of variousrock types. I think the black layer is some earlier clasts and dust maybe from some vulcanism or maybe water borne stuff.

If I understand correctly, the layers of this formation were not "revealed" by an impact, but were formed inside the crater by erosion of the sedimentary layers laid down (presumably by water) within the crater long after it formed. But I only read that briefly somewhere so I might be mistaken. Are you saying that you think the edge of Mt Sharp was actually formed by the meteorite which formed Gale Crater?
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@rosborne979,
yes I do. It spossible that some action could have gone on post impact but, from the looks of the erosion and all, the stuff from an overlying strata seems to lie over the underlying and that mean that the underlying formation came first and the bolide impact came second.
Im not wedded to this cause I dont have any more detailed info than a photo
Irishk

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 06:23 pm
Tweet from Curiosity Rover today...

Quote:
Curiosity Rover @MarsCuriosity

Yes, I've got a laser beam attached to my head. I'm not ill tempered; I zapped a rock for science: http://1.usa.gov/P7IXF1 #MSL #PewPew
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 07:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

yes I do. It spossible that some action could have gone on post impact but, from the looks of the erosion and all, the stuff from an overlying strata seems to lie over the underlying and that mean that the underlying formation came first and the bolide impact came second.
Im not wedded to this cause I dont have any more detailed info than a photo

Here's the description I was going from on the probable process of formation of Mt Sharp inside Gale Crater:
Quote:
Characteristics

An unusual feature of Gale is an enormous mound of debris around its central peak, officially named Aeolis Mons[5][6] (popularly known as "Mount Sharp"[12][13]) rising 5.5 km (18,000 ft) above the northern crater floor and 4.5 km (15,000 ft) above the southern crater floor - slightly taller than the southern rim of the crater itself. The mound is composed of layered material and may have been laid down over a period of around 2 billion years.[3] The origin of this mound is not known with certainty, but research suggests it is the eroded remnant of sedimentary layers that once filled the crater completely, possibly originally deposited on a lakebed.[3] However, debate exists around this issue.[14][15] Observations of possible cross-bedded strata on the upper mound suggest aeolian processes, but the origin of the lower mound layers remains ambiguous.[16]

It sounds to me like they are saying the crater was once filled to the brim with sedimentary layers (possibly laid down in water). Then over the eons the wind (aeolian process) eroded the sediment in such a way that a central cone (Mt Sharp) remained.

But the article also says they are unsure of the actual formation process, so I guess they'll be trying to confirm all that as they do their investigations.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 07:55 pm
Preparing to move...
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/images/pia16087_Watkins1A-br.gif