firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The more she tries to deny that its disenfrnchisement, the more ultra GOP she sounds,

I am a died-in-the-wool Democrat.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This article seems to identify some of the current problems with voting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/us/voting-systems-plagues-go-far-beyond-identification.html
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I took my quite elderly mother to the DMV to turn in her drivers license for a non-driver state ID. They required no other documentation beside her drivers license and a simple application form for the new ID. She was on a line to get her photo taken for under 2 minutes--they separate drivers photos from non-drivers photos. We were in and out of the DMV in about 10 minutes.

They give you a temporary ID to use until you get the regular one in the mail.

It was no ordeal at all.

Nice. Could you take my grandmother who is also quite elderly? She has never had a driver's license, she only speaks broken English and her birth certificate has been deemed invalid by the federal government as of 2010. All that said, she stood by my grandfather (and voted) while he served in WWII, held on to hope (and voted) while he was a prisoner of war in Korea and sat at home (and voted) while both her husband and son were in Vietnam. She's also in another state (so I can't help) and what family she has there doesn't have the time of day for her. (At least my brother and I have stopped them from stealing from her.) She can take the bus to the grocery store but she is mostly blind so going somewhere new is difficult. She would definitely appreciate your help in getting some sort of document the state would recognize and then getting an ID.

Oh, wait. Her state doesn't have Jim Crow laws so she can vote with just the typical help provided to the blind. Thanks anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
I've noticed the same effect elsewhere.

Hyannisport Democrats.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:22 pm
@firefly,
yes

I still think photo voter i.d. is unnecessary.
0 Replies

engineer

@firefly,
firefly wrote:

And yet when the state of Pennsylvania estimates that 100,000 people do not have the required ID, you say that is not a problem. If only 1% of that highly conservative number has issues, that's 1000 disenfranchised voters. Democrat, Republican or whatever, that should be a concern to all Americans.
firefly

@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Where did you pull the data for those costs from? It sure costs more than that in every state I've ever lived in.

The non-driver ID card only costs $3 in Florida--I just checked their site. That's even less than my state.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:25 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

And yet when the state of Pennsylvania estimates that 100,000 people do not have the required ID, you say that is not a problem.

Are those 100,000 people absolutely unable to obtain a photo ID card?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:29 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

why should they? there is no evidence of voter fraud in Pennsylvania.

why create more unnecessary government involvement in peoples' lives? because Jimmy Carter once thought it was an idea?

not good enough.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

firefly wrote:

And yet when the state of Pennsylvania estimates that 100,000 people do not have the required ID, you say that is not a problem. If only 1% of that highly conservative number has issues, that's 1000 disenfranchised voters. Democrat, Republican or whatever, that should be a concern to all Americans.
I'm MORE concerned qua multiple fraudulent votes.

If I needed another id. to vote,
for SURE I'd GET one.

David
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
there is no evidence of voter fraud in Pennsylvania.

I believe they have said they didn't bother checking or investigating it. That's different than saying it is nonexistent.
Quote:

why create more unnecessary government involvement in peoples' lives?

You keep forgetting that the government is already involved in the voting process, they already decide who is eligible to vote.
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:32 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

My my once more voter fraud is almost non-existed so how dare the state cause real hardships for some thousands of voters in the name of stopping something that is not a problem in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I'm MORE concerned qua multiple fraudulent votes.

Show voter fraud of any kind is a problem!!!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
you forgot to respond to this

Quote:
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:

Even defeating ONE fraudulent vote is sufficient justification for the law

Apply this logic to GUN CONTROL and talk to me

Would saving one life from being smoked by a gun , justify new gun control laws?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@firefly,
There is no evidence of voter fraud in Pennsylvania.

There is no need for photo voter i.d.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

I believe they have said they didn't bother checking it. That's different than saying it is nonexistent.

No, it's not. If they had proof - any proof - of a problem, they would present it, because it would bolster their case tremendously.

In the absence of verifiable proof of a problem, it's entirely appropriate to say that the problem doesn't exist. If you think there is a problem - prove it. Until then, quit supporting laws that are designed to keep people from voting.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
they already decide who is eligible to vote

An they would love to find a back door means of stopping the poor from voting and before any such law should be pass it should be the government job to prove that there is a problem existing that is large enough to interfere with eligible voters right to vote.

That had not been done.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:38 pm
@firefly,
And how many quite elderly people don't have a daughter to help them through the process?

How many people don't have an existing driver's license to trade for an ID?

Which experience is more typical? Three hours or three minutes?
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
If you think there is a problem - prove it.

That's what the attorney general of Texas has attempted to do. He's cited evidence of voter fraud.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:39 pm
@ehBeth,
True; why create an additional step to require an ID when there's no problem with ID fraud in voting.

There are plenty of problems with the ballot themselves, or the Supreme Court getting involved in a state voter issue.
0 Replies