Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:31 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
Any links to studies that would back up your claims that the likely outcome would not be thousands to tens of thousands of valid voters being block from voting in any given state Firefly?

I'm a Democrat, and I don't believe that hype about all those "thousands to tens of thousands of valid voters being block from voting ".

Most people already have valid photo IDs, and the rest can easily obtain them.

Sure, just like the rest can easily pay the P0ll Tax. That's basically what this is.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I bet they'll accept your "gun" as ID too! Mr. Green
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think most things that increase government involvement in peoples' lives when there is no need for them are ... stupid.

Voting directly concerns the government--it is the process of selecting the government. The government is already involved in the election/voting process.
Quote:

so why increase the reasons people might not vote?

No one who really wants to vote would be kept from voting because of this.

People can also vote by absentee ballot and avoid the need for the photo ID if they absolutely cannot obtain one.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:39 pm
@firefly,
Here are the state laws on ID requirements.

http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/voter-id.aspx
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:40 pm
@firefly,
In other words, there is no need for photo i.d. to vote in the U.S.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:41 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

No one who really wants to vote would be kept from voting because of this.

Sure, just like anyone who really wants to vote could come up with the money to pay the Poll Tax. Right?

I mean, do you not realize that your arguments are the exact same as those that were employed by those who, in past years, specifically didn't want people to vote?

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:41 pm
@engineer,
did David ever get around to responding to those posts?

engineer wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

My argument is that I cheer the law!!!!!

And yet you fail to answer the posts asking how this law is different than gun control. Very convient for someone who is all about the Constitution.
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:47 pm
@ehBeth,
No, and he's posted a couple of times since the original post and again since the reminder.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I mean, do you not realize that your arguments are the exact same as those that were employed by those who, in past years, specifically didn't want people to vote?

No they are not. The cost of obtaining a non-driver photo ID--about $6-$8 --is not prohibitive for low income or senior citizens--and most people already possess the necessary photo ID and don't need to obtain one.

And people can vote by absentee ballot if they can't obtain, or don't want to obtain, a photo ID.

People who want to vote will vote, regardless of whether photo ID is required. No one is being disenfranchised.

There is partisan hype on both sides of this issue.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:58 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
People who want to vote will vote, regardless of whether photo ID is required. No one is being disenfranchised.

That is absolute BS.

Adding barriers to voting will keep some people from voting who otherwise would have voted.

There is time and expense involved in getting ID. Time to gather the necessary documents, time to travel to the DPS office, time to wait in line, expense to buy the ID, time to travel home, and then have to wait for the ID to be delivered.

I had to wait three hours the last time I went to DPS. I had to do it when I otherwise would have been working, because DPS limits access to certain hours.

Poor or frail people do not have the ability to do all of this.
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
In other words, there is no need for photo i.d. to vote in the U.S.

The Attorney General of Texas disagrees with you..
Quote:
Voter ID does not suppress votes
Greg Abbott,
For the Express-News
Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some partisans use blustery rhetoric against Texas' voter ID law. But when viewed under a courtroom microscope — under oath — personal beliefs and opinions give way to the proven facts about voter ID: Voter fraud is real, voter ID doesn't suppress votes, and the U.S. Supreme Court has already approved voter ID as a legal, nondiscriminatory response to voter fraud.

As Texas' attorney general, I've prosecuted voter fraud across the state, including people who voted using dead people's names; a candidate who unlawfully registered ineligible foreign nationals to vote; a man who voted twice on Election Day; an election worker who attempted to vote for someone else with the same last name; and a person who used someone else's registration card to vote. In addition to the many cases my office has prosecuted, other county, state and federal authorities have handled countless voter fraud investigations.

The recent voter ID trial revealed even more disturbing voter fraud. Texas has more than 50,000 dead people registered to vote. Even worse, at least 239 dead people voted in the May election — 213 of them in person. State Sen. Tommy Williams testified that ballots have been cast for his long-deceased grandfather. A person even attempted to vote for an inmate.

State Reps. Jose Aliseda and Aaron Peña testified that South Texas is plagued with voter fraud. Rep. Aliseda also testified that non-citizens voted in Bee County elections. In the past year, hundreds of people who claimed they were non-citizens had to be removed from the voter rolls.

Voter ID critics turn a blind eye to illegal voting and instead rail against voter ID as discriminatory and disenfranchising. The facts prove otherwise. Opponents of voter ID were unable to produce a single Texan who would be unable to vote because of the voter ID law. States with voter ID laws have seen minority vote participation increase, not decrease. Texas makes it easy to comply with the law by providing a free photo ID to any eligible voter who doesn't have one. Also, voters who are disabled or older than 65 can vote by mail — so they can vote without a photo ID.

Even the star witness hired to testify against Texas' voter ID law agrees that photo ID laws prevent “almost no one” from voting and has stated that the voting rights concerns raised by partisans who oppose voter ID laws are “overblown.” That star witness also agrees that comparing voter ID laws to Jim Crow and poll tax laws is unjustified.

Just four years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed that voter ID laws are nondiscriminatory and perfectly constitutional. The high court held that even in states unable to prove voter impersonation, voter ID laws are justified by the need to protect the integrity of the election process. The court emphasized that the inconvenience of gathering all the required documents, going to the department of motor vehicles, and posing for a photo is simply not an infringement on the right to vote.

Voter ID laws do not prevent legal votes. Instead, they ensure legal votes are not diluted by illegal ones. Fraudulent voting must be stopped, and voter ID laws will help us stop it.

Greg Abbott is attorney general of Texas.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Voter-ID-does-not-suppress-votes-3735206.php#ixzz22FAJ7f6z
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

No they are not. The cost of obtaining a non-driver photo ID--about $6-$8

Where did you pull the data for those costs from? It sure costs more than that in every state I've ever lived in.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
@firefly,
MY my just the task of going down to get such an ID would be a task and burden for the elderly and then we have people without cars that might need to spend an hour plus by a bus to get to a license station.

Yes for the middle class that is not elderly it is indeed not a problem but to such groups that outnumber so call voters fraud cases by one hell of a margin it is a problem.

People right to vote is being interfere with to address an almost non-existing problem.

The state have zero moral right to take people right to vote away to address a almost non-existing problem.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

The Attorney General of Texas disagrees with you..

Oh, a highly partisan member of the GOP in one of the most Conservative states in the nation disagrees with the idea that voter ID laws are specifically intended to suppress the votes of Democrats?

Shocking!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Poor or frail people do not have the ability to do all of this.

Quote:
I had to wait three hours the last time I went to DPS. I had to do it when I otherwise would have been working, because DPS limits access to certain hours.

I took my quite elderly mother to the DMV to turn in her drivers license for a non-driver state ID. They required no other documentation beside her drivers license and a simple application form for the new ID. She was on a line to get her photo taken for under 2 minutes--they separate drivers photos from non-drivers photos. We were in and out of the DMV in about 10 minutes.

They give you a temporary ID to use until you get the regular one in the mail.

It was no ordeal at all.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
pA's costs will otensibly be FREE. However notarized source document will be at market value
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:09 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And people can vote by absentee ballot if they can't obtain, or don't want to obtain, a photo ID.

so there's no need for photo i.d. to vote in the U.S.

good
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Where did you pull the data for those costs from? It sure costs more than that in every state I've ever lived in.

The cost for a non-driver photo ID is on my state DMV Web site. The cost is nominal for those over 62, those on Medicaid, those on disability receiving SSI, etc.

How much would it cost a senior to obtain a non-driver photo ID in your state?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@ehBeth,
firefly sounds like the Antoinette lady re; lettin em eat cake. The more she tries to deny that its disenfrnchisement, the more ultra GOP she sounds,
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
so there's no need for photo i.d. to vote in the U.S.

Did you read that article I posted by the Attorney General of Texas?