Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:40 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
If you think there is a problem - prove it.

That's what the attorney general of Texas has attempted to do.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Drunk
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Which experience is more typical? Three hours or three minutes?

Since applying for a photo ID doesn't involve any aspects of driving, the time in the DMV is relatively short even if you didn't have a drivers license to turn in. You don't get stuck on the same lines as drivers.
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@firefly,
No one care about attempts to prove there is a problem with special note of PA in regard to this thread. We all care just about proof of a problem.

Until the harm of interfering with voters right to vote is proven repeat proven less then not stopping voter fraud cases then no such law should be pass.

Given it is my understanding that no such cases had been found in PA less alone enough cases to block thousands of legal voters from voting this law should not stand by court actions or by the actions of whatever voters are still able to vote in PA.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:04 pm
@BillRM,
remember, several groups, like The Committe of 70 have commissioned studies to see how much voter fraud they could find, NOW, as has been intimated , that no evidence was "passively" noted.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:36 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
If you think there is a problem - prove it.

That's what the attorney general of Texas has attempted to do. He's cited evidence of voter fraud.

He cited a statistically insignificant amount of voter fraud.

<500 incidents in the entire state is enough reason to keep 10,000 from legitimately voting?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:38 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

Which experience is more typical? Three hours or three minutes?

Since applying for a photo ID doesn't involve any aspects of driving, the time in the DMV is relatively short even if you didn't have a drivers license to turn in. You don't get stuck on the same lines as drivers.

Not in Austin. That three hour wait I mentioned was just to renew my license: I turned 42 and they required a new picture.

Also, since they by definition can't drive, they have to use public transportation to get to the DPS office.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:39 pm
@firefly,
Your as impervious to the facts in this instance as Hawkeye and BillRM are regarding rape and drunk driving.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The purpose stated in the legislation is to "Prevent voter fraud" ( an apparently underreported felony since there are no cases of voter fraud in the commonwealth of Pa)

Well, how could they detect it? They weren't required to have ID, and they didn't. You walk up, give a name and address, and there you go!
Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:41 pm
@DrewDad,
I took gram to renew her ID card this spring. the line was out the door...

if a very sympathetic nice lady at the front of the line was not insistent that she cut in front of her, I would have been standing there for 2+ hours easily while she sat at a table and watched me wind through the lines.

there is only one station for Wichita and the surrounding county...
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:43 pm
@roger,
AS I said, The PA Committee o 70 was commissioned to seek out all this "voter fraud". Youve bought into a concept that it exists and yet ,even after a detailed search. no evidence was found.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:48 pm
@roger,
People that try it are nuts, considering the punishment. I read about a woman who voted for Obama ten times -- she got 5 years per count!!! #NotWorthIt
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Why can't they renew these non-driver ID cards by mail, the way they renew drivers licenses? That would make life easier for a great many people.

I understand that people in Kansas over the age of 65 will be able to use expired approved photo IDs to vote.

My DMV office is fairly well organized to minimize standing on lines. When I went to register my car I was able to sit and wait for my number to be dsplayed above a particular window. Then I got on a relatively short line at that window, took care of my my business there, and sat back down and waited for my number to come up over another window.The whole process probably did take close to 2 hours, but I was just sitting around waiting most of the time and not standing on lines. I remember what it was like before they instituted that system, and standing on those lines for hours was awful.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:24 pm
@roger,
They have voter signatures on file.

Even on an absentee ballot in California, we must sign our name on the envelope for it to be counted.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:26 pm
@firefly,
to renew a license here in KS, you must go in and take the eye test, pass the open book test, and get your photo taken.
'
you can get a temporary extension by mail. (I did this while I was living in Tennessee, but maintaining a Kansas CDL)
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:26 pm
@Rockhead,
That's true in California too!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:28 pm
This new voter ID card does address some of the issues, and possible difficulties, involved in getting photo ID in Pennsylvania.
Quote:
Secretary of Commonwealth Announces New Voter ID Card

SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of State

HARRISBURG, Pa., July 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele today announced the creation of a new card that can be issued to voters who need photo identification under Pennsylvania's voter ID law.

The Department of State voter cards, which will be issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, will be available to registered voters who are not able to provide all of the documents they would normally need to obtain a photo ID from PennDOT, such as a birth certificate.

"As we work to ensure that Pennsylvanians have the identification they need to vote this fall, this new card will provide another photo ID option for voters," Aichele said.

"We believe these new cards will be a safety net for those who may not currently possess all of the documents they need for a standard photo ID from PennDOT. Our goals are to continue making voters aware of the new voter ID law and helping those who may not have proper identification obtain it," she added.

The new voter photo identification cards are scheduled to be available at PennDOT's Drivers License Centers beginning the last week of August. The identification cards can be issued to registered voters who may not have all of the documents necessary to obtain a non-driver's license photo ID from PennDOT, primarily a birth certificate.

The IDs, which are free, will be issued to voters for a 10-year period and can only be used for voting purposes. For Pennsylvania-born voters, PennDOT will still use the process of confirming birth records electronically with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to issue non-driver's license photo IDs for voting.

When requesting these IDs, voters will need to affirm they do not possess any other approved identification for voting purposes. They will be asked to provide two proofs of residence, such as a utility bill, along with their date of birth and Social Security number, if the customer has an assigned number. PennDOT will validate the voter registration status with the Department of State while the voter is in the PennDOT office. Upon confirmation of this information, the voter will be issued the voter card before leaving the PennDOT facility.

These cards will be issued by PennDOT up to and through Election Day, Nov. 6, 2012, and thereafter.

"The creation of these voter cards is an important step in the implementation of the voter ID law," Aichele said. "Everyone who needs ID to vote will be able to get it months before the election," she added.

Visit the Department of State online at www.dos.state.pa.us.
http://www.kswo.com/story/19075204/secretary-of-commonwealth-announces-new-voter-id-card?clienttype=printable
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:35 pm
@firefly,
Exactly how does these new voter ID cards ensure anything as it pertains to voting?

Put another way, how many fraudulent voting occurred without ID cards?
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
to renew a license here in KS, you must go in and take the eye test, pass the open book test, and get your photo taken.

To renew my driver's license, I just had to get an eye test done by any licensed optometrist or opthalmologist of my choosing, they filled out the result on a DMV form, and I mailed that back with the license renewal form the DMV sent me. They didn't require a new photo, they just re-used the old one they had on record--the picture on my driver's license is now very old. I haven't had to take a driving re-test of any sort since I was 16 years old.

So, I can do the entire license renewal process by mail. I'm glad I don't live in Kansas or California.
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Exactly how does these new voter ID cards ensure anything as it pertains to voting?

It insures that the person's picture and name on the card matches the person standing at the sign-in table at the polls.
Quote:

Put another way, how many fraudulent voting occurred without ID cards?

You really don't know.

There used to be jokes about entire cemeteries voting in some areas.

The names of deceased people can remain on the voting rolls for some time. That's probably the easiest type of voter fraud to pull off--you show up and say you are someone who has died. You just try to approximate the person's previous signature when you sign the book, which isn't that hard to do, particularly if you claim you injured your hand and have trouble writing. They really don't check the signatures well at all. And they never ask for any sort of ID where I vote.

So people who want to rig an election, can send in lots of "dead folks" to vote in various precincts. There can be all sorts of corruption and fraud with voting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:55 pm
@firefly,
Have you ever voted? The voting places are usually manned by local neighbors who know where people live by the list they have that must be matched with the voter's signature.

How many people know how to sign the signature of a dead person?