cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why are bigots so blind to facts? When they make a claim about anything, shouldn't they be able to produce evidence? This isn't about "what if," it's about establishing a law that has no evidence for its need.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The bookstores r doing OK.

bookstores are closing all over North America. Entire chains have shut down. Many independent booksellers are gone.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/182815/20110722/borders-closing-why.htm
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The proposal for a uniform photo ID requirement was made by a bipartisan commission led by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James A. Baker III.

Quote:
When they make a claim about anything, shouldn't they be able to produce evidence?

That goes for both sides.

Where is the evidence that most registered voters, or those eligible to register, don't already have, or would have any difficulty obtaining, a government issued photo ID?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I think David lives in a completely different world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:45 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
mrbassma...
Resolved QuestionShow me another »
How many Americans are registered to vote?
4 years ago Report Abuse

Dave Holman
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

about 170 million, out of 220 million eligibles. around 120 million voted in the 2004 Presidential race.

As for obtaining voter ID, that subject has been discussed ad nauseum. It's about producing an original ID that will be accepted (differs by states) the cost and transportation.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
BoyOhBoy DAVID, you do live in a different universe, don't you? Bookstores -- even big chains like Barnes & Noble, Brothers, others -- are doing worse than anyone anticipated, even given the current recession, even given the advent of Kindle and e-book and other such devices (which I disdain). Bookstores are a dying business. Wanna lose some money fast? Open a bookstore.
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
. It's about producing an original ID that will be accepted (differs by states) the cost

As I understand it, any government issued photo ID is acceptable--drivers license, non-driver state issued ID, military ID, passport, etc.

In my state, a non-driver photo ID for people over 62 costs about $6 and it's valid for 10 years. I think it's similar in cost for those who receive Medicaid and those who collect SSI for disability. So cost really isn't prohibitive for the elderly or those in low income groups.

Most people already have an acceptable form of photo ID. They need, and use, it for other reasons.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm

When I present myself at the polls in November,
by way of introducing myself to the administrators of the polling place,
I silently hand over my driver's license.
Using that information, thay turn to the accurate page
in their records, which I am invited to sign.

I coud just as easily use one of my gun licenses.

David
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Not worse than I anticipated. Once the e-reader model got developed, traditional bookstores were doomed. They just don't make any economic sense.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Where is the evidence that most registered voters, or those eligible to register, don't already have, or would have any difficulty obtaining, a government issued photo ID?

First Firefly it should be the other way around IE showing that almost every voter having such IDs and the state would not be interfering to any degree with the right of valid voters to vote before passing such laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then the real reason is to interfere with valid voters being able to vote and not addressing an almost completely non-existing problem of voter fraud.
firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:08 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Robert A. Pastor, co-director of the Center for Democracy and Election Management at American University, who was executive director of the Carter-Baker commission, said... "the opponents are sure that it will lead to voter suppression even though they haven’t been able — until Pennsylvania — to point to a single instance where a voter could not vote because of a lack of ID,” he said. “I did a survey of Indiana, Maryland, and Mississippi and found only about 1.2 percent of registered voter did not have photo IDs".
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/us/voting-systems-plagues-go-far-beyond-identification.html?pagewanted=all

Quote:

But then the real reason is to interfere with valid voters being able to vote and not addressing an almost completely non-existing problem of voter fraud.

You seem to have missed this...
Quote:
The proposal for a uniform photo ID requirement was made by a bipartisan commission led by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James A. Baker III.

It's not something the Republicans dreamed up.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:10 pm
@firefly,
Does it make less of a stupid idea because a Democrat suggested it?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:14 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Most people already have an acceptable form of photo ID. They need, and use, it for other reasons.

Any links to studies that would back up your claims that the likely outcome would not be thousands to tens of thousands of valid voters being block from voting in any given state Firefly?

Maybe ten thousands or so valid voters being interfere with in any given state is no big deal to you but given that there are no showing that so call voter fraud amount to more then a few votes at worst in any given election it is an outrage.
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:18 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It's not something the Republicans dreamed up.

Sorry but in the state of Florida laws that interfere with the right of voters to vote is something dream up by the GOP over and over and over.

Second as a party they had a long nationwide record of trying to keep such groups as blacks from voting.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Does it make less of a stupid idea because a Democrat suggested it?

There is nothing stupid about the idea of requiring a government issued photo ID in order to vote--it helps to establish that you are the person whose name is listed in the voters registry..

Nor have you provided any persuasive reasoning or evidence to justify your contention that the idea itself is "stupid".
DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:23 pm
@firefly,
The idea is stupid because it tries to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

There is a big negative effect (people who should be allowed to vote cannot vote) and no positive effect.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:23 pm
@firefly,
No of course there is nothing stupid about keeping thousands or tens of thousands of citizens from voting at the lower ends of society all in the name of addressing an almost non-existing problem.

Come to think of it is does not sound stupid just evil.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:27 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Any links to studies that would back up your claims that the likely outcome would not be thousands to tens of thousands of valid voters being block from voting in any given state Firefly?

I'm a Democrat, and I don't believe that hype about all those "thousands to tens of thousands of valid voters being block from voting ".

Most people already have valid photo IDs, and the rest can easily obtain them. And cost is not prohibitive--as I said in an earlier post, seniors and low income groups can get a non-driver state ID for about $6 in my state, and it's good for 10 years.

The real problem is all the people who don't register to vote and all the registered voters who don't show up at the polls on election day.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:28 pm
@firefly,
It is stupid because there is no need for it.

I think most things that increase government involvement in peoples' lives when there is no need for them are ... stupid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:29 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
The real problem is all the people who don't register to vote and all the registered voters who don't show up at the polls on election day.

so why increase the reasons people might not vote?