Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
dave...

if these politicians were trying to limit your "gun" freedom without providing proof that the need existed, you would be frothing at the mouth and waving the constitution.

that you can support unnecessary infringement on your voting rights speaks volumes toward your credibility, or in this case, the lack thereof...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:07 pm
***this thread is glitching***

hiding the top of the page post and dumping you back to the top of the previous page until a second post comes in, much like may of the word game threads.

FWIW...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

As I've said in other threads:

I don't object to preventing voter fraud. That's a laudable goal.

But requiring voters to have ID is not the solution.
It has an obvious high negative effect, and no measurable positive effect.

Cast a net that catches what you want, and I'll support it.
Cast a net that tangles up a bunch of eligible voters for no reason, and I will fight it.
How woud u respond (consistently or not??)
if the exact same question were applied to gun licenses??????

Voting is very, very important; I support democracy,
but successfully defending your LIFE when necessary is MORE important than voting.
I have missed elections, but did not get killed.

( I predict that u will not respond, instead complaining:
"David, don't try to turn everything into a gun thread! GEEEZzzz.
This is about voting."
)

David
DrewDad

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
This is about voting."
)

Pretty close, except the part about "GEEEZzzz."
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:30 pm
@DrewDad,
David lacks the ability at being consistent about US laws and our Constitution.

Only when he thinks it infringes on his personal rights does he have anything to say; he's beyond his elements.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
@DrewDad,
And there's nothing wrong with having ID, IF you can include utility bills, etc... things with their names and addresses on, plus a birth certificate or SSN card OR other form of government ID. If you all think Photo ID would be such a hardship, then I'll have to trust you... I don't live there, after all.

But so many things today REQUIRE some form of ID, I am mightily surprised you think these people don't have any.

What if they wanted to get married or have to go to hospital? You think that's possible without ID?

Registering in college requires it.
Opening a bank account
Getting a driver's licence (or renewing it, apparently)

How do they manage without ID?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@Mame,
Many of the people who don't have ID are quite old, and never do any of those things. They sure aren't getting married or getting drivers' licenses. Many don't have birth certificates or marriage certificates, and the cost of getting these things can be high.

You don't have to have ID to go to the hospital, I never have to show mine when I go there. Just the insurance card I was sent in the mail. Didn't need an ID to get it, either.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:05 pm
@Mame,
According to this article, 18% of seniors do not have an ID.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/08/1072626/-18-of-Seniors-do-not-have-the-required-Photo-ID

Isn't it another contradiction of the conservatives? They were recently decrying about ObamaCare and death panels for seniors. Now, they ignore seniors without government issued photo ID's.

I wonder, how many seniors vote republican?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How many seniors who quit driving years ago still has possession of their driver's license? Give me a break!

Most seniors around here who stop driving do turn their drivers license in and exchange it for the non-driver state ID. People who have a drivers license know what an important and useful source of ID it is, and they realize they need to have an alternate acceptable form of photo ID for many reasons. And obtaining the non-driver photo ID around here is really easy and fairly fast when you turn in your drivers license--it's just a matter of exchanging one for the other.

All senior citizens are not doddering fools, nor are they all unable to handle the other government agencies they have to deal with--Social Security, Medicare, etc. --nor are they all bereft of resources, beyond family support, to assist them with something like obtaining a photo ID, something most of them already have. So I'm just not convinced that many seniors, at all, would have a problem complying with the need to produce a photo ID in order to vote.

I am fully aware of why these Republican lawmakers want these Photo ID Laws--they are trying to reduce voting in segments of the population which traditionally lean toward the Democrats. And the contention that we need these photo IDs because voter fraud is a significant problem at the polls is hogwash. And they also attempt to drum up support in their base by raising the specter of voter fraud--covertly attributing it to corrupt, dishonest Democrats, who would obviously be trying to hide fraud by opposing the photo IDs.

But what disturbs me almost just as much is the hyped-up rhetoric coming from the Democrats in opposing the photo IDs. Throwing around terms like "Jim Crow" and "poll taxes", and trying to wave the red flag of racism is an equally distasteful attempt to rev up the Democratic base, particularly black voters, who might otherwise vote for Obama in less enthusiastic numbers than they did the last time around. This hype is all about getting out the Democratic vote in November. Similarly they threaten seniors that Republicans are trying to take away their vote, just as they want to whittle away at Medicare. And both parties are trying to woo the Hispanic vote, so the Democrats have to instill fear in that group that the Republicans are trying to disenfranchise them.

So I'm not sure that either side is being honest or completely rational in discussing the pros and cons of using photo IDs to establish identity at the polls, and whether this would unfairly exclude some from voting, and whether it is possible to insure that everyone has easy access to obtaining a photo ID so that no group is disadvantaged or hindered from voting due to lack of a photo ID.

Putting the issue of voter fraud aside, I think there is common sense merit in requiring a photo ID in order to vote. We require such an ID for numerous things in our daily lives and these dealings are more difficult if one lacks such a form of ID. And it is precisely those people who currently lack such a form of ID who would benefit the most if it could be made more obtainable for them. So I am not, in principle, opposed to the idea of photo IDs, although there may be no clear justification for them in terms of evidence of voter identity fraud. I see the photo ID as useful for a lot of other reasons, and I'd like to see everyone able to obtain that type of ID. I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bathwater.and low income groups, and the voter photo ID card would help others

Pennsylvania is already willing to exempt some groups, like the Amish, from the requirement of a photo ID if it conflicts with religious beliefs. I also think that Pennsylvania is attempting to address some of the objections to the photo ID requirement with its issuance of a voter ID card, which can be obtained at no cost for a low income qualified voter, and without the need to produce additional documentation, like a birth certificate, which might be required to obtain a non-driver state ID from the Penn. DOT. The non driver photo IDs are already available at very nominal and minimal cost to seniors and low income groups, and the new voter photo ID card would benefit those who might otherwise fall through the gaps in trying to obtain the non-driver ID. However, the problem of acquiring such a card, because the logistics of traveling to a DOT office may pose unfair obstacles for some, still remains as a troublesome unresolved issue for me. And, unless ease of geographical access is considerably improved, I would not support the need for a photo ID in order to vote in Pennsylvania--certainly not in the next general election.

I'm interested in seeing the challenge to this law play out in the courts and hearing the arguments presented by the opposition. I have a feeling they will be more accurate and less hysterical than some of the hype being offered up by the Democrats and by some in this thread.

I also think the solution to what these Republican legislatures are trying to accomplish with these voter photo ID laws is for the people who oppose such tactics to become so outraged that they show up at the polls in droves and vote them out of office.

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

All senior citizens are not doddering fools, nor are they all unable to handle the other government agencies they have to deal with--Social Security, Medicare, etc. --nor are they all bereft of resources, beyond family support, to assist them with something like obtaining a photo ID, something most of them already have. So I'm just not convinced that many seniors, at all, would have a problem complying with the need to produce a photo ID in order to vote.

OK, so if only 1% have such challenges, is that ok? What is the number of disenfrachised voters that is acceptable for a zero percent reduction in fraud?

firefly wrote:
I am fully aware of why these Republican lawmakers want these Photo ID Laws--they are trying to reduce voting in segments of the population which traditionally lean toward the Democrats. And the contention that we need these photo IDs because voter fraud is a significant problem at the polls is hogwash. And they also attempt to drum up support in their base by raising the specter of voter fraud--covertly attributing it to corrupt, dishonest Democrats, who would obviously be trying to hide fraud by opposing the photo IDs.

Which is why I have a problem restricting the vote for even one person.

firefly wrote:
But what disturbs me almost just as much is the hyped-up rhetoric coming from the Democrats in opposing the photo IDs. Throwing around terms like "Jim Crow" and "poll taxes" ...

We use terms like "Jim Crow" and "poll taxes" because the purposes of those laws were to try "to reduce voting in segments of the population which traditionally lean toward the Democrats" (except back then it was Democrats vs Dixiecrats.) This is exactly what is happening now. Those terms would only be hyped-up rhetoric if they were in some way inaccurate. I don't understand how people using accurate terms to describe attacks against people's voting rights disturbs you "almost as much" as the actual attacks.

firefly wrote:
This hype is all about getting out the Democratic vote in November.

If you think the ACLU is trying to move votes with their challenge in court, then I disagree but understand your opinion. If you think those on this board who you are debating with have that motivation, I strongly disagree. It's not like those against this movement discussing it on this board will move one vote (except maybe ours) in November. My position here is all about my feelings that all Americans should be upset about efforts to take away any American's vote.

firefly wrote:
So I'm not sure that either side is being honest or completely rational in discussing the pros and cons of using photo IDs to establish identity at the polls, and whether this would unfairly exclude some from voting, and whether it is possible to insure that everyone has easy access to obtaining a photo ID so that no group is disadvantaged or hindered from voting due to lack of a photo ID.

I'm a data type of guy. The data from Pennsylvania is 1) There are no recorded instances of fraud nor does the state expect any fraud in 2012. 2) The state of Pennsylvania (who is the defendent and has motive to underestimate) belives that 100,000 people in their state do not currently have the correct ID. 3) The ACLU (representing the plaintiff and has motive to exaggerate) says it's more like 1,000,000. From those data points, I conclude that 1) there is no benefit to the law and 2) there is a significant possibility that there would be harm. I don't see those as irrational conclusions.

firefly wrote:
Putting the issue of voter fraud aside, I think there is common sense merit in requiring a photo ID in order to vote. We require such an ID for numerous things in our daily lives and these dealings are more difficult if one lacks such a form of ID. And it is precisely those people who currently lack such a form of ID who would benefit the most if it could be made more obtainable for them. So I am not, in principle, opposed to the idea of photo IDs, although there may be no clear justification for them in terms of evidence of voter identity fraud. I see the photo ID as useful for a lot of other reasons, and I'd like to see everyone able to obtain that type of ID. I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bathwater.

By all means make it more available, just don't require it in order to receive your Constitutional rights, when there is no evidence that it will do anything other than to create a barrier (no matter how small) to voting. Even the smallest barrier to civil rights requires substantial justification and here there is no justification at all.

firefly wrote:
Pennsylvania is already willing to exempt some groups, like the Amish, from the requirement of a photo ID if it conflicts with religious beliefs.

BUT WHAT ABOUT AMISH VOTER FRAUD?! Smile

firefly wrote:
I also think that Pennsylvania is attempting to address some of the objections to the photo ID requirement with its issuance of a voter ID card, which can be obtained at no cost for a low income qualified voter, and without the need to produce additional documentation, like a birth certificate, which might be required to obtain a non-driver state ID from the Penn. DOT. The non driver photo IDs are already available at very nominal and minimal cost to seniors and low income groups, and the voter photo ID card would help others who might otherwise fall through the gaps. However, the problem of acquiring such a card, because the logistics of traveling to a DOT office may pose unfair obstacles for some, still remains as a troublesome unresolved issue for me.

Those remain my issues as well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:07 pm
@engineer,
What was the necessity for those government issued photo ID's again?

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:07 pm
@firefly,
Oh, they do? Let's have some credible source back up your statement?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:12 pm
@firefly,
LOL come on Firefly we all know you are an elitist who would be very happy to limit the voting of the poor who do not own cars, have a need for a passport and work minimum wages jobs.

The cover that you and others like you are for making voting more difficult for the poor is to fight a non-existing problem is kind of weak to say the least however.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
How do they apply or collect their old age pension? How do you prove it when they die? How could they NOT, in their entire lives, have applied for some type of ID? Just because they're old doesn't mean they're stupid. They had to file an income tax, they had to have a job, they HAD to have had ID. What happened to it?
engineer

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:29 pm
@Mame,
Many people opened accounts many years ago and have let their ID's lapse because they have no need for any ID now. Others work for cash or take their paychecks/government checks to check cashing services in the neighborhood. No ID is required to write a check, deposit money or use an ATM anyway. Some use ID like their Social Security cards which do not have pictures or addresses and you do not need an ID to file a tax return. Seems like a tough way to live, but there are people who do it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:31 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

How do they apply or collect their old age pension? How do you prove it when they die? How could they NOT, in their entire lives, have applied for some type of ID? Just because they're old doesn't mean they're stupid. They had to file an income tax, they had to have a job, they HAD to have had ID. What happened to it?

My Grandmother never filed income taxes a day in her life. Not that it matters as you don't need a photo ID to pay income taxes.

She has never driven a car or had a job a day in her life. She's 93 and has been a homemaker for her whole life. Never wanted to drive and my Grandpa took care of everything for her before he died.

So, you're simply incorrect when you make the pronouncements above. I don't think you realize how many older folks in this country don't have the documents you describe and have got on fine without them forever. You're right when you say that this doesn't make them stupid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:42 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
How do they apply or collect their old age pension?

As far as SS is concern my applying for it was done completely over the phone and I did not even need to send them a birth certificate to prove my age.

As far as collecting I just gave them my bank account number for direct deposit.
Mame

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:57 pm
It simply boggles the mind.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:02 pm
@DrewDad,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
This is about voting."
)
DrewDad wrote:
Pretty close, except the part about "GEEEZzzz."
YES. INCONSISTENCY: Thy name is liberalism.

For the left: consistency matters
when thay LIKE the consequences.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
@BillRM,
Exactly, Bill. I did stop in at the SS office to fill out the paperwork when I knew I was ready to retire. As I recall, I had to show no ID and could as easily have filled the application out online. And, as you say, I never get a check in the mail; it's all direct-deposit.