Designing a home based office

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:26 am
A room of my house needs to be converted to an office so that I can work at home comfortably. The Photocopier, Computers, files and furniture are all ready to be occupied. However, I don’t have any idea on how to organize everything. Also, there is a need of a good storage area to keep the files and documents. Does it worth if I employ the task to a designer company?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:07 am
@richardjoseph,
Are you willing to throw away hundreds or thousands of dollars telling you some common sense things. The computer or at least the computer monitor goes on top of the computer desk. If the photocopier is wireless then place it anywhere in the room accessible. If not then place it within the reach of the computer by the length of the printer wire, etc.... If you have a landline phone keep the handset charger on or near the desk not on the opposite side of the room.

These designer companies are just glorified feng shui consultants. I can imagine they charge more for actually putting and setting up the office furniture into place after they consulted you where everything is supposed to go.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:31 am
@richardjoseph,
I just redesigned my home office. There is a good "office simulator" feature on staples.com that lets you click & drag different furniture pieces into a room layout that you set up with the exact dimensions of your office. You can even see a 3D simulation. Even if you don't buy furniture there, it's easy to use, and it's free. It helped me a great deal.
0 Replies