Planning a trip to Europe...

ossobuco

Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:08 pm
Cyclo, I think we are pulling each other's legs.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

People think semi zombies wandering with cell phones are bad -

just wait until all kids have pods in their hands.

Their hands? Their heads.

I already hate my grandkids.

Cycloptichorn
CalamityJane

Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are right about the head part. Have you seen this...

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Just wondering, cyclo, how your plans are developing ...
Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Going well, thanks. We're waiting on some funding issues to come through before we make the final decision as to how much time we can spend in Europe.

My wife seems pretty determined to go to Spain - can anyone relate their experiences in Barcelona?

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
izzythepush

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I spent a day in Barcelona when on a camping trip to a beach resort. The layout of the buildings is very impressive, and it's quite well to do, lots of top shops, so not the cheapest part of Spain by any means.

On the drive back to the campsite I ran over and killed a cat. It wasn't intentional it just ran out in front of the car, I didn't even have a chance to brake.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Barcelona is a favorite place for many visitors for many reasons including Gaude's buildings including Sagrada Familia. La Rambla is also a favorite walking street with many interesting places to visit including the Gothic Quarter with their old buildings, museums, and church. Don't miss Gaude's parque.
izzythepush

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, and they're not impressed if you speak Spanish, they prefer chatting in Catalan.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:13 am
@izzythepush,
Catalan eh? I'll have to bone up on that one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
can anyone relate their experiences in Barcelona?

I'm afraid I can't Cyclo but if you visit any of the websites associated with Manchester United. Chelsea, or Arsenal you will find a large number of people who have visited Barcelona a few times and perhaps some of them will give you the sort of advice that is more useful than anything you might find here.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:16 am
@spendius,
Ah yes, rabid soccer fan advice on how to treat their rivals/the locals. That's the ticket!

Cycloptichorn
izzythepush

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think you're relying on a stereotype about English hooligans that was true in the 1970s/80s. We're a lot better behaved now, most the trouble makers are banned from travelling during matches.

Quote:
Supporters in Kiev were praised for their behaviour ahead of the quarter- final match against Italy.
About 10,000 followers of the Three Lions were in the Ukraine capital, outnumbering Italians by an estimated five to one. ‘We’ve been very pleased with the way they’ve behaved and the response that we’ve had when we’ve
spoken to fans,’ said Asst Chief Con Andy Holt, representing the Association of Chief Police Officers
‘There have been no arrests. There have been occasions when it’s got quite lively but we’ve managed with our Ukrainian colleagues to intervene and prevent it escalating.’

<br /> http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/903107-england-fans-praised-for-behaviour-in-ukraine-during-euro-2012-quarter-final
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:58 pm
a2kers re Barcelona -

PDiddie liked it:
http://able2know.org/topic/4047-2#post-103267

and so did CI in his post after that

And Margo would pick another area of Spain in her post after CI's. . .

well, there's more to read in that thread.

Best I've read about Spain -
Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/books/review/wildman.t.html

ossobuco

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 01:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Tremlett is The Guardian's Madrid correspondent, also writes for The Economist.

some of his articles:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/search?q=giles+tremlett&section=
ossobuco

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Just ran across this photo in the Chronicle, from Aug. 16th:

Curtain call: A woman peers through paper streamers made from recycled trash during the Festa Major de Gracia in Barcelona's Gracia neighborhood. One of the most popular events during the festival is a competition among 23 neighboring streets whose residents use found materials to decorate their blocks.
Photo: Josep Lago, AFP/Getty Images / SFChronicle

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/14/56/46/3336624/3/628x471.jpg
0 Replies

bellcalara1985

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 07:18 am
hey..make sure you get good exchange rate. compare all the available options. compare what who is offering better exchange rate and have minimum fees.

have a great time
cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:30 pm
@bellcalara1985,
Don't change your money in the US. Bring US dollars or use the ATM machine.
When using the ATM machine, try to use it less, because each transaction will cost you $3. If you know you'll be spending at least $500, don't use the ATM machine five times. That'll add up the $3 fee. If you use money exchange places, some countries have competitive exchange rates, but you need to find out if they charge commission against their posted exchange rate.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:56 pm
Cyc, good decision on the trip to Europe.

We are planning something similar in the future. Let em share some of my planning advice...

Don't go in circles, it uses too much time. Make a linear plan. We are planning to fly into Rome, travel North to Florence and Venice. Then through Switzerland going to Lauterbrunnen, then to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Munich, Kaiserslautern, Paris, Normandy, ending in London Now, that is our plan, but as you can see it's a nice straightish line.

If you are planning Spain, I would suggest landing or leaving from there as it's out of the way. Maybe Spain-France-UK-Denmark then south form there if that's your goal.

Our goal is to revisit places I grew up to see them through adult eyes now. Plus the family can see some of the best parts of Europe.

I really think you will have a great time no matter where you end up.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:11 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks. Are you working through a travel agent? I'm having a hard time finding one-way tickets using the typical online sites, that would allow me to fly into one city and out of Europe from another, that aren't way more expensive than round-trip ones.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding one-way tickets using the typical online sites, that would allow me to fly into one city and out of Europe from another, that aren't way more expensive than round-trip ones.
One possibilty is, searching for different budget airline-tickets.
Since they (usually) don't offer round-trip tickets, there will be no difference. (Okay, there certainly is a difference when calculating the price for a return-ticket).

Otherwise, just stick to one airline respectively to the same group (like OneWorld, Star-alliance ...)On my various tours through the USA I didn't notice a difference at all, when I left out a certain part - but I'm not sure, if it works here in Europe as well.

When buying airline tickets, compare the different websites in various countries, e.g. expedia USA vs expedia UK vs expedia (any EURO-country): usually, the European sites have cheaper tickets ...
0 Replies