Planning a trip to Europe...

McGentrix

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not yet, but will most likely be using AAA.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:41 pm
Let your hair grow out, and try not to look like an American. Keep your passport where it cannot be picked (bottom of a knapsack?). Crossing streets can be an art; pedestrians have the right of way? Maybe not? No ice in drinks, based on bacteria that locals are accustomed to. Enjoy the trip, but temper it with a bit of paranoia while away.

P.S. The whole world has an element of locals that you do not want to meet.

cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:48 pm
@Foofie,
Don't carry your passport "at the bottom of your knapsack." One of the ways they steal your stuff is to cut your knapsack with a sharp instrument. Rather, keep it in the safe in your room.
Foofie

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 07:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't carry your passport "at the bottom of your knapsack." One of the ways they steal your stuff is to cut your knapsack with a sharp instrument. Rather, keep it in the safe in your room.

O.K.; however, you seem to agree that the theft of a passport is a possibility for those that do not do something precautionary. I wouldn't be comfortable with not keeping a passport on my person, since the local law might want to see it for some reason, while out and about?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 08:12 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I wouldn't be comfortable with not keeping a passport on my person, since the local law might want to see it for some reason, while out and about?
A (paper) copy is sufficient. And every (official) will understand that you don't carry your passport with you (that's one of the reasons, why we've ID-cards as travel documents Wink )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:57 am
@Foofie,
What Walter said; I always carry a copy of my passport in my wallet. In some countries, they want to see your passport to exchange currency.
Foofie

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What Walter said; I always carry a copy of my passport in my wallet. In some countries, they want to see your passport to exchange currency.

I guess I've seen too many WWII movies ("Vere are your papers???")
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:38 pm
@Foofie,
The couple of times I've been to the USA, I had to show my ID-card/passport more often than during 50 years I'm travelling through Europe now.
Foofie

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The couple of times I've been to the USA, I had to show my ID-card/passport more often than during 50 years I'm travelling through Europe now.

I don't know what your point might be? If you are alluding to some sort of possible xenophobia, I'm the wrong one to commiserate. I prefer foreigners wearing tee shirts with the American flag, and a baseball cap for the Mets baseball team. Comparing Europe to the U.S.A., might correlate to comparing apple pie to strudel. They're just not the same pastry.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 01:34 pm
@Foofie,
I didn't intend to compare pastries but where you had to show your ID-card (or passport) more often. And thanks to the Schengen Agreement, it became even less in Europe than it was 15 years ago.
izzythepush

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If we're talking pastries can I recommend Holtcamp's cake and pastry shop in Amsterdam (By Royal (Dutch) appt.) I've just got back and they were brilliant. Still got some maccaroons and chocolate to try out.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:25 am
@izzythepush,
It is one of the best bakeries in the world ... at least, if you take the major tourist spots.
izzythepush

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I bought a book called Secret Amsterdam, and I'm sorry to say, with the exception of the "Auschwitz Never Again," monument, it's the only thing I saw from the book.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 21 Sep, 2012 04:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Going well, thanks. We're waiting on some funding issues to come through before we make the final decision as to how much time we can spend in Europe.

Funding issues resolved, trip is officially a go!!!!!

More to come in the next few days - I need to start making to-do checklists...

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 21 Sep, 2012 05:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's terrific!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Sep, 2012 05:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Wonderful! Have fun with the checklists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sounds great!
0 Replies

margo

Sat 22 Sep, 2012 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've just got back and they were brilliant. Still got some maccaroons and chocolate to try out.

I won't get to Amsterdam this trip. Please send some macaroons!
Rockhead

Sat 22 Sep, 2012 01:20 pm
@margo,
he's going to amsterdam, and you want macaroons...???

Shocked

you know what I want you to send me, cyclo.

(it better not be macaroons)
Rockhead

Sat 22 Sep, 2012 01:22 pm
my parts manager friend just took his wifelet to europe for their anniversary.

she would not let him go to to amsterdam.

but they had fun just the same...

he can now speaka the french.

wee wee...