Compound butters - have you tried those?

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:23 pm
I've known about these forever but never gotten around to making them up on purpose, though I've added herbs to butter and garlic or shallots a zillion times as part of sauteing.

I ran into this article link and the ideas all look good to me - but I see them as just a start.

I happen to not mind eating butter - I use it once in a while, but I primarily cook with olive oil.

Here's the link:

http://www.schwans.com/products/recipeDetail.aspx?id=42070&kwid=Outbrain58120053

Obviously, these can be made with olive oil instead - but sometime butter is just better to me, and different.

Any other combos come to mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,169 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
tried em and dont like the taste that is almost slightly "off"
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:48 pm
@farmerman,
Huh. Since I haven't tried them, I dunno. Wonder if it depends on the butter (I gather irish butter is great, tried it once, it didn't wow me, but I'm not sure it was the brand others talk about).

I was just going to add that it might be interesting to use ingredients in "nutty sage pate", a concoction I was raving about on another thread. That involved cream cheese.

Anyway, that would be: unsalted butter, crushed garlic, sesame seeds, (ground hazelnuts?), black pepper, fresh 'garden sage' (salvia officinalis, as opposed to salvia gregii et al.) I haven't researched (or don't remember) what other salvias are edible and tasty but they mean the usual one.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I love butter and I love the sweet butters best. There is a creamy taste of rich milk and the dields in the stuff we buy from an AMish Farmstead. They have a raw milk license and churn their "own"

No "gourmet" butter can compare (IMHO)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:37 pm
I never tried them, but I have made my own flavored butter...
just keep the butter at room temperature, add garlic, pesto, or whatever flavor you want and whip it.
0 Replies