Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:48 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Mame wrote:
This isn't anti-gun sentiment; it's logic. Instead of one guy pointing a gun in a crowded, dark, gas-filled theatre, you have several. What are the odds that all the bullets are going to hit the gunman? Obviously, some of those bullets are going to hit other people. Does that make more sense?

It's shaky logic at best. I know the irrational fear of the anti-gun folks is that more bullets = more chances for innocents to die, but I think that's absurd.

Wait a second - you're not making any sense (or headway). How is it shaky logic? You get 5 or 10 armed people in an enclosed space as described above. Add fear and adrenalin and God knows what else and you think it's absurd that I think more innocent people will be shot? And in this case, the guy was armed and bullet-proofed to the teeth. Who do YOU think is going to win?

And by the way, I am anti-gun, but it's not irrational and it's not fear-based. We just don't need them. People are killed by people who are armed. If you're unarmed, there'd be a lot less deaths. That's not irrational, it's a fact.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:53 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
If you're unarmed, there'd be a lot less deaths. That's not irrational, it's a fact.

There is no way to remove the arms or the ammo, and if you make ammo illegal then a black market will quickly supply the demand. You can never get to your utopia from where we are.

You might consider instead growing humans who dont want to shoot up movie theaters for fame....this is a whole lot more realistic of a solution.

Oh but wait, then we would have to actually work to fix what ails this collective, we could not just pass a law and be done with it.

Toooooo much work for us, nevermind.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
You can get there, you just have to want to get there.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
Aurora is a Denver upscale suburb...

Negative.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
used to be?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You can get there, you just have to want to get there.

That will never happen till we are ready to honestly face what has gone wrong.

We are a country mile from that point.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
True. Just because the Zanzibar was featured in a Clint Eastwood doesn't make it upscale.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:00 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Nothing wrong with taking your child to a movie, but midnight? What if it were an incessant cryer? What if the noise, shooting in the movie disturbed the child? I've been a single parent and I know how hard it is to get a sitter sometimes but I do think this was inappropriate.

If it were an incessant crier then you shouldn't take it to the movies. My first born slept through The Mask of Zorro when he was less than 6 months old, with nary a peep -- and there was a lot of noise in that movie. Your mileage may vary.
Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
The problem in the States is your thinking... you have the "right to bear arms". Talk to David about it! When a grocery store owner runs down a street and shoots the would-be robber IN THE BACK, that totally contravenes the intention of the Second Amendment of your Constitution. He is, at that point, NOT defending himself - the guy is running away and he's committing a murder.

We don't have that attitude here, and it's the same in many, many other countries. We don't walk around thinking someone's going to shoot us so we'd better be packing, and I think I prefer where I live.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
No, with you on that (the crying bit). Just using that as an example why not to take an infant or child to a movie. And frankly, I've never been a movie person, but I know I would not go at midnight and not go with a baby. Stupid decision. Don't care what kind of cabin-fever the parents had - go in the daytime. Kids should be in bed at that hour.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:06 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Mame wrote:
This isn't anti-gun sentiment; it's logic. Instead of one guy pointing a gun in a crowded, dark, gas-filled theatre, you have several. What are the odds that all the bullets are going to hit the gunman? Obviously, some of those bullets are going to hit other people. Does that make more sense?

It's shaky logic at best. I know the irrational fear of the anti-gun folks is that more bullets = more chances for innocents to die, but I think that's absurd.

Wait a second - you're not making any sense (or headway).

I'm sure I'm not making headway with the anti-gun crowd -- that's an impossible task which I am not attempting to do -- but I do think I'm making sense.

Quote:
How is it shaky logic? You get 5 or 10 armed people in an enclosed space as described above. Add fear and adrenalin and God knows what else and you think it's absurd that I think more innocent people will be shot? And in this case, the guy was armed and bullet-proofed to the teeth. Who do YOU think is going to win?

Again, I have no way of knowing who is going to win, but if I were one of the victims crawling around on the theater floor trying to survive, I'd sure as hell hope someone would try to do something about it.

Quote:
And by the way, I am anti-gun, but it's not irrational and it's not fear-based. We just don't need them. People are killed by people who are armed. If you're unarmed, there'd be a lot less deaths. That's not irrational, it's a fact.

Evidently you think hoping the bad guys run out of bullets is the best strategy.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
used to be?

Not when I lived there.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Evidently you think hoping the bad guys run out of bullets is the best strategy.

No. In my world, there wouldn't be a gun, so it'd be a guy using his fists and being overcome by other people with fists.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:10 pm
@Mame,
I tend to agree.
Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
Never gonna happen, though.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:12 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
No. In my world, there wouldn't be a gun, so it'd be a guy using his fists and being overcome by other people with fists.

Oh, the buzzing of the bees, and the cigarette trees
The soda-water fountain....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
@Mame,
If the child cries, you take 'em out of the theater, or give 'em some milk.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:14 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I've never been a movie person, but I know I would not go at midnight and not go with a baby. Stupid decision. Don't care what kind of cabin-fever the parents had - go in the daytime. Kids should be in bed at that hour.

At under six months, it's always bedtime.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:14 pm
@DrewDad,
Quite a few cinemas these days have "crying rooms" which are little sealed areas where people with babies can go and watch the film.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:21 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Do you realize how silly that sounds?

Do you realize that Joe is, undoubtedly, being sarcastic?
0 Replies