Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I believe Joe was anticipating Tico's post.

I think he was anticipating David's post.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:52 pm
Rorschach wrote:

You are joking right. Senseless murder happens anywhere you go, even in America. America isn't perfect, neither are other countries, so I don't know who you're comparing America to.
Compared to the rest of the world America and its people as a whole aren't that bad.
We just need some more regulation, that's all.
Everybody likes watching this stuff on the big screen but sucks big time when it's in real life. The irony.

Setanta wrote:

Oh, so that guy in Norway was an American?

I was merely clarifying what Joe had quoted from the Salon article.

Sheesh, see Cyclo's post.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:52 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I fail to understand the logic where you are concerned that more innocents would be injured if someone had opened fire on this lunatic. I understand that anti-gun folks are 100% anti-gun, but I just don't understand your thinking.

This isn't anti-gun sentiment; it's logic. Instead of one guy pointing a gun in a crowded, dark, gas-filled theatre, you have several. What are the odds that all the bullets are going to hit the gunman? Obviously, some of those bullets are going to hit other people. Does that make more sense?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's being reported that the dude had a drum on his AR-15. He probably didn't reload at all, but simply switched weapons when he ran out of bullets.

That may be the case. I read an earlier report where someone said he had reloaded.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't agree.

There's no data showing that public safety is increased by shootouts between villains and would-be heroes.

Clearly we don't have enough would-be heroes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:56 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Why were children at a noisy, violent (I presume) movie at MIDnight?

Because when you've got a three month old, you're just kind of desperate to get out of the house.

The problem is not with the parents. The problem is with the crazy person with the guns.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:58 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
This isn't anti-gun sentiment; it's logic. Instead of one guy pointing a gun in a crowded, dark, gas-filled theatre, you have several. What are the odds that all the bullets are going to hit the gunman? Obviously, some of those bullets are going to hit other people. Does that make more sense?

It's shaky logic at best. I know the irrational fear of the anti-gun folks is that more bullets = more chances for innocents to die, but I think that's absurd.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Mame wrote:

It's shaky logic at best. I know the irrational fear of the anti-gun folks is that more bullets = more chances for innocents to die, but I think that's absurd.

Why is that more absurd? I've fired a pistol plenty of times and I've been around people who fired them plenty of times. The idea that anyone would have good accuracy when crouching behind a chair, in a dark and noisy theater, while taking incoming fire from the assailant, is ludicrous.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
Hi,

I just saw this on the New York Times Website and knew there would be a discussion on A2k. It's got me wondering about security arrangements in US theaters. Isn't there frisking at the entrance? I ask because we're always frisked at all major theaters out here in Delhi.

Or did this guy forcibly bypass security check?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

it's not an irrational fear - it's exactly what happened about 5 miles from here less than a week ago

I'm not anti-gun overall.

I don't see a need for guns, specifically automatic weapons, in cities. No one is hunting for their supper here.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's being reported that the dude had a drum on his AR-15.

Yes. 100 rounds I believe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:09 pm
@spidergal,
I'm in Canada's largest city. Generally, there is no frisking before entering movie theatres - or any entertainment complex.
spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:14 pm
I don't suppose many of you are prepared to consider the responsibility of Media?

No. I didn't think so.
spidergal

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for answering, ehBeth. Are you also answering for all of US?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:16 pm
@spidergal,
she's in canada.

I've not seen a frisking at a theater.

concerts yes, movies rarely. maybe in bad neighborhoods in big cities.

Aurora is a Denver upscale suburb...
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@spendius,
yes spendi, pointless hand wringing about how the media causes these things is gonna help now.

what do they do in england when the media is at fault?
thack45

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:20 pm
@Rockhead,
unfortunately i was only able to thumb this post up once
0 Replies

spidergal

Oh, ok. Thanks, Rockhead.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I don't suppose many of you are prepared to consider the responsibility of Media?

No. I didn't think so.

****, I am prepared to consider it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Study how to fix it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:42 pm
@DrewDad,
Nothing wrong with taking your child to a movie, but midnight? What if it were an incessant cryer? What if the noise, shooting in the movie disturbed the child? I've been a single parent and I know how hard it is to get a sitter sometimes but I do think this was inappropriate.