Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Here, Spendius tells us about HIS IMAGINATION.
As most haters of freedom, Spendius is hopelessly OBSESSED
with curiosity regarding the penises of American freedom-lovers.
Maybe he is jealous.

Next he'll be demanding that we post pictures
for his careful examination, to nourish & flourish HIS IMAGINATION....

Sounds like somebody needs to get Spendius and BVT together.....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
The population of all the states that joined the Union after it was formed gave up significant amounts of their freedom in order to get behind a larger rampart than they could otherwise do to protect themselves from the world.

Such a temptation is being offered to us by the pro European Federalists and we are not biting. We don't have to put up with what a small number of voters in a handful of swing states foist upon us. England is the home of freedom.

So forget freedom loving. And the freedom of states gets less and less every day that goes by.

The Constitution is a document to permit the usurpation of power by the legal profession. And the legal profession backed down when Mr Obama put them up against the wall.

The thought of our great and good framing a chiselled out constitution in 1787 and us still living by it is enough to make Budgie the Helicopter laugh.

Nothing can veto a House of Commons majority except force.

Choosing a movie called Black Knight Rises suggests a possible motive to me.
oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Ex-militiamen have an exception to that rule. They are able to have their full-auto rifles converted to semi-auto, and then keep them as civilians after they leave military service.

Other than that, semi-autos and pump-action guns are allowed, if the buyer passes a background check.

Bolt-action rifles and double-barreled shotguns are available even without a background check.

It was about 10 years ago that I looked all that up, so they could have changed things around in the meantime (though I doubt they changed things very much).

You really should read the law - Switzerland is a Schengen-country, and their gun laws are nearly the same as ours.
(The reason is quite simple, because there's no border control between Switzerland and surrounding countries - and all their neighbouring countries are Schengen countries, too.)

I did read it, but it was about 10 years ago.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
When a Swiss leaves the army - that's when he/she is 49 - they have to give their weapons back.
Just yesterday it was reported that they had looked over 17,000 unclear 'dossiers' from last year, 31 weapons weren't given back, 11 were by now. The other 20 are looked at by the (military) police. Altogether, the military police is investigating 331 cases where weapons weren't returned to the army. (Source: Swiss tv evening news, 24.27.2012 - referring to reports from the Swiss Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport.)

This should be the gun law, if I found my way to the right spot:
http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/514_54/index.html

The part about exempting militia rifles converted to semi-auto should be the last line (number 6 ???) of this section:

http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/514_54/a5.html

"Zu halbautomatischen Feuerwaffen abgeänderte schweizerische Ordonnanz-Seriefeuerwaffen gelten nicht als Waffe im Sinne von Absatz 1 Buchstabe a."

I imagine any rules regarding the disposition of military rifles after militia service has ended would be found in militia rules instead of in the firearms regulations, so I don't have any rules to quote there.
panzade

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
Happened at 2 am at our local cinema:
Quote:
Police say a former Marine and his wife were attacked as they left the theater where they had attended a showing of the new Batman movie. The man pulled out a gun and shot twice in what police say was self-defense.

It was the last showing of the night. The new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, had just ended and at about 2:00 in the morning people were leaving the Rave Theater . Police say a couple in their twenties were walking out of the theater Tuesday morning, when they were attacked by four guys. The woman was pushed, the man, a former Marine, was punched. Police say he pulled out his gun and fired two times in self-defense.

Requests for concealed weapons permits have gone up by 40% around here. Everyone's arming themselves.

Overall though, I think restrictions on gun ownership have tightened up while the standards for what constitutes a mental health risk have loosened.

I see the civil rights of the mentally ill taking a hit in the near future. Somebody's civil rights are going to be lost and it won't be the gun owners.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I imagine any rules regarding the disposition of military rifles after militia service has ended would be found in militia rules instead of in the firearms regulations, so I don't have any rules to quote there.
Correct.(Of course, they can take keep home when they buy them as a private weapon, then naturally with all the background checks etc what every other Swiss citizen has to do when buying a weapon in a shop.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:10 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Everyone's arming themselves.

That's the general idea. It's good business. Like fallout shelters used to be until people realised that being offed in the blast was better than living in the aftermath.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:15 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
until people realised that being offed in the blast was better than living in the aftermath.

Why do people wonder why the British Empire evaporate after WW2?
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:21 pm
@BillRM,
It was a burden we would no longer tolerate. You'll find out. The Romans did.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It was a burden we would no longer tolerate. You'll find out. The Romans did.

As soon as the Romans begin to do such things as build the Hadrian's Wall in your country they was doom.

As soon as a people begin to think defensely your time as a great people is over with.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:12 pm
@spendius,
Your comments that it is better to lied down and die in case of nuclear war is a text book example of a member of a society that is no longer great.

Sad as you was once a great people indeed and there was no good reason to give up that greatness.

At the end of WW2 your nation was a leader in electronic, computers and advance aviation and could had been in nuclear power for that matter.

The Comet was a beautiful jetliner and could had given your nation the lead in commercial aviation in the post war years but you did not had the will to overcome the design failure of the windows!!!!!!!!!

Cut your losses and crawl into a hole is not the path to greatness.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:29 pm
@BillRM,
As a firefighter and an EMT, I would rather you let trained firefighters fight a fire instead of attempting it yourself.
More people get hurt trying to fight fires incorrectly than get hurt by simply getting out and calling the fire depth.
We have the training and the equipment to deal with the situation, and we aren't going to panic and make things worse.
Krumple

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:11 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

As a firefighter and an EMT, I would rather you let trained firefighters fight a fire instead of attempting it yourself.
More people get hurt trying to fight fires incorrectly than get hurt by simply getting out and calling the fire depth.
We have the training and the equipment to deal with the situation, and we aren't going to panic and make things worse.

yeah but if people get to fires with the proper equipment before the fires are to large there might not be any need for firefighters to get involved. If people are allowed to have the proper equipment available to them they might be able to handle these fires.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:13 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:

A fire in it first seconds of life can most of the time be deal with by one small ABC fire extinguisher that would take train people to deal with if allow to burn for a few minutes more.

I had myself deal with a fire inside my wall without serous damage being done because I acted at once when some plumbing work set on fire some newspapers that some fool had used to seal the opening of pipes years before in the wall.

I put out an engine fire and save a sport car once for a gentleman because I was carrying a fire extinguisher in my van and was able to act before the whole car was involved.

Sometime speed beat training and better equipments and to tell someone that they can not try is likely to produce far more harm to property and risk to life in the long run.

In the case of my home it could had likely cost not only my home but as it was a townhouse perhaps my neighbors homes if I had obey the 911 operator and not put the fire out myself many minutes before the fire engines reach the house.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:45 pm
It was bound to happen - some rightwingnuts are saying the Aurora shooter was part of a nefarious plan to get their guns...

Right-Wing Gun Group: Was Aurora an Inside Job?

"... All this looks like James Holmes completed a "mission" and then calmly ended that mission by surrendering to police and admitting everything. The mission, as we are now learning, was to cause as much terror and mayhem as possible, then to have that multiplied by the national media at exactly the right time leading up the UN vote next week on a global small arms treaty that could result in gun confiscation across America. ..."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/07/right-wing-gun-group-aurora-was-inside-job
Krumple

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:26 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

It was bound to happen - some rightwingnuts are saying the Aurora shooter was part of a nefarious plan to get their guns...

"... All this looks like James Holmes completed a "mission" and then calmly ended that mission by surrendering to police and admitting everything. The mission, as we are now learning, was to cause as much terror and mayhem as possible, then to have that multiplied by the national media at exactly the right time leading up the UN vote next week on a global small arms treaty that could result in gun confiscation across America. ..."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/07/right-wing-gun-group-aurora-was-inside-job

I am a little confused. Are they saying he belongs to a group or a group is behind his actions? Are they saying he acted alone and his motivation was to stir up anxiety to prevent the UN successfully passing a gun ban in america?

Silly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:39 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

snood wrote:

I am a little confused. Are they saying he belongs to a group or a group is behind his actions? Are they saying he acted alone and his motivation was to stir up anxiety to prevent the UN successfully passing a gun ban in america?

Silly.
FOR THE RECORD:
I am confident that there existed NO "inside job".

I don 't go for conspiracy theories.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:44 pm
@snood,
Quote:
UN vote next week on a global small arms treaty

The UN grows tiresome.
rooneyzeus

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 12:28 am
@Setanta,
Really it is very shameful incident take took place, I think that the police & various administration departments should take a serious action against the culprits.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 01:33 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Please do not quote my post as Dave might see it if you do and we wouldn't want him getting all upset and all.

You are a very small and despicable person. You want to ban what you don't understand (and you don't understand much). And you spew an endless litany of childish namecalling when you are told that you will not be allowed to violate people's civil rights. I'd be ashamed of my posts too if I were you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 01:37 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
England is the home of freedom.

No longer. You've repealed your ancient right to carry guns for self defense.

You are now mere serfs.

spendius wrote:
The Constitution is a document to permit the usurpation of power by the legal profession. And the legal profession backed down when Mr Obama put them up against the wall.

Nonsense.

spendius wrote:
The thought of our great and good framing a chiselled out constitution in 1787 and us still living by it is enough to make Budgie the Helicopter laugh.

People who want to erase America's civil rights are often horrified by the realization that America's liberty is eternal.

Too bad for you.

spendius wrote:
Nothing can veto a House of Commons majority except force.

Enjoy your tyranny.